New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 win or 270 wsm?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering buying a 270Win or Wsm and wondered what advice you guys could come up with. I can get a great deal on a Sako Finnlight in 270 Win but am concerned about the effect of losing 2" off the standard 22" barrel. [Frown]

I can also get a good deal on a Sako/Tikka standard length (22") 270 Win in S/Synthetic.

Or do I wait about a month and buy the Model 70 270Wsm or Browning in 270Wsm? [Big Grin]

The big advantage here Downunder of the 270 Win is the availability of brass/reloading dies/factory ammo, but its always nice to have something new!!

This Rifle will complete my battery for the moment and any concrete advice will be much appreciated!

What do you fellas think? [Confused]

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dingo, I guess to answer your question I'd have to know what's this rifle's intended use? What other rifles are in your battery?

I have no doubt the 270 WSM will be a good round and the latest crop of Model 70's are excellent in fit and finish. I have a 300 WSM that shoots VERY nicely, though I cut its barrel to 22", something I'd not reccomend with the 270 version. Still, I guess I'm old-fashioned as I've never found much use for magnums under 30 cal when such goodies as the 280 and 270 are available and work fine in 22" barrels. If I were going to carry a 24" barrel, I'd sooner have the 270 WM though.

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dingo,

I don't think that I would by a 270 Win over a 270 WSM on brass and die availabity as Winchester Australia brings in brass for everything Winchester makes. Dies will no be problem and you only have to buy dies once. In fact if you have a Visa card, just phone Huntingtons and the dies will arrive at your front door.

Cases for the 270 WSM will be dearer, probably around 7mm Rem type prices I think. If you are a factory ammo shooter, then the 270 Win will have a clear advantage on price, availability and variety.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at a .270 Win. you're looking in your rearview mirror. Get the .270 WSM.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's that thumping sound???

It's Jack O'Conner, flopping around in his grave!!!

The 270 is a very good cartridge. Faster ain't always better.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
If you handload and your budget is large then get the .270 WSM. There is a chance that the 270 WSM will not catch on. Then it will be hard to get factory ammo. The .270 Win is "all moved in and everything"

But they are both good designs. Get the one you want and make it work. That's what I am going to do.

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Get the Tikka in 270 win,just got one in 25-06,Real nice.
The 270win will never die, not sure about wsm!!

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'd look in the rear view mirror unless you can come up with anything other than a advantage on ballistic charts and campfire chats. The .270 WBY sure put a dent in the .270win. now didn't it. [Roll Eyes] Please buy the .270 before it disapears from the shooting landscape. Who knows maybe it will be a collectors item [Razz]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick with the tried and true, you can buy .270 stuff at most out back general stores but I do not know about .270 wsm

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add I would actually much prefer a 30/06 over the .270, I have owned both and I find the 30/06 to be a better round. It will shoot heavier bullets if you ever need to.

The Tikka rifles are very good, do not discount a cz in 30/06 as well there great value.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get the 270 Win. It shoots flat out to where I can't hit.

H. C.

[ 06-21-2002, 06:41: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody needs to say it, the 270WSM will be "DEAD" in a couple of years.
Classics like the 243, 270Win., 7mm Rem mag, 30/06, 338mag., and 375mag will always be very popular. They do the job without alot of fuss. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the advice.

I have a 308 Win (Tikka) which is a very sweet shooting rifle and which my oldest Son is slowly taking over. I thought that a 270 Win would be a good substitute for me for general use on deer etc as my next rifle up is a 9.3 x62mm.

However I wonder just how much flatter shooting a 270Win is over the 308.

According to figures I have, the Point Blank Range of a 308 (150gns) is 280 yards and a 270Win (130gns) is 298 yards. A difference of 18 yards!

That does not sound like much to get excited about or am I missing something?

Maybe a 7mm Rem Mag is a better split?

Comments please.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must admit I've never been a .270win fan, sorry but its not my cup of tea. I've read O'conner and all, but the .270win just don't do it for me. I'd much rather have my 6.5x55.
Now with that said I'm trying real hard to avoid buying a .270wsm. I've went to my pusher, I mean dealer, twice and just managed to make it out the door without ordering one. [Roll Eyes] If he ever gets one on the shelf I'm in trouble [Wink]
Maybe I can hold out until "the 270WSM will be "DEAD" in a couple of years" and I can pick up one cheap [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 06-21-2002, 17:13: Message edited by: mark65x55 ]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are reasons to choose the 270 WSM over the classic 270 WCF. The rifle will be up to 1/2 inch shorter and weigh as much as 1 1/2 oz less. Loaded, the weight difference will be even greater since with the WSM there won't be as many cartridges in the magazine. The rifle will be a "magnum" which will give added confidence when shooting at those animals which normally laugh at the older cartridges. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At most hunting distances the animal won't be able to tell if he just got shot with a 130gr Ballistic Tip from a tried and true 270 or the new kid the 270WSM. Get what you want and what will make you happy. Me I like tradition and my 270 is a Win M70.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I was gonna stay outta this one---oh well.....I have a 300 WSM that is quite accurate. I traded a 30 Gibbs for it and I regret it. The increase in velocity isn't enough for the increase in recoil (which is really not magnum recoil anyway.)The 270 Win is one of those "classic" cartridges that is very effective and easy to load. I'm about to have a custom Ruger #1 done in 270 Win and wouldn't consider the WSM just because it doesn't change the fact that I am going to get closer or pass on the shot if my quarry is over 300 yards away. The 270 WSM has some impressive velocities compared to the 270 Win but at game shooting distances there isn't enough difference in their ballistics to make me want the WSM. Guess I must've grown up reading Jack O'Connor hunting stories! In reality, which ever of the 2 "trips you trigger" is the one to go with!
Good Hunting,
Andy [Big Grin]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,
You forgot to deduct weight for the larger hole of the chamber. Have any of you looked for 250/3000, 7X57 or 6mm Rem. brass lately at your favorite gun store? Some stores carry them sometimes but they and other good rounds are getting harder to find. I think Mark 6.5 has the right idea, wait 2yrs. then buy a 270wsm for peanuts. Just like the 5mm. Rem.
Last night I picked up a 97% mint pre64 in 270 featherweight(1955). I wont tell you the price because I don't like to see grown men cry, lets just say I'am very happy. Anyway, I can walk into any backwoods store in Elk City or Weippe Idaho and buy ammo. And I will be able to do that 2 or 20 years from now. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Leeper summed up the advantages of the WSM pretty succinctly. However, he did leave out one attractive feature of the WSM. As Crocodile Dundee says in the Subaru ad, "Look at it this way, you did pay a lot more for yours".

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The WSM could end up being one of those cartridges that is victimized to other less efficent cartridges because of THEIR popularity. Like the 222 Magnum because of the 223, the 6mm Remington and 257 Roberts because of the 243.

The 270 and 7mm RM are NOT good cartridges for a new load
to be competing with.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Isn't it obvious that Rem and Win have just thrown up all these cartridges against the wall and they make money no matter what happens?

The fact that the .270 WSM was introduced first and there still isn't a 7mm WSM for sale gives the .270 WSM a headstart.

I still don't believe that the .270 WSM will make it. I think that the 7mm WSM will catch on however and be popular along with the .300 WSM.

The SAUM's look dull compared to the WSM's I don't see much visual appeal in them.

<JohnT>
posted
With the delay in the release of the 7mm WSM vs the 270 WSM it could be history repeating itself. Same thing as the .270 Win & the .280 Rem. Interesting that they bumped the shoulder forward ala .280 Rem as well.

Also the .270 WSM only has to compete with the .270 weatherby & 270 Win whereas the 7mm have a multitude of cartidges to compete with.

I think the WSM's will definitely be here to stay as the brass and ammo is priced competitively. The RUM's at least in Aust are charged out at a premium.

If you already had a .270 or a 7mm you may not consider the WSM's but if you had a gap in those calibres I think that at the very least you should consider the WSM's. I certainly would.

My smith showed me cartridges for a whole series of custom guns for 1 customer. .300, .338 & .375 WSM. Geez those bigger WSM's look real wicked.

I think the WSM's will succeed as they do not try to establish new benchmarks for velocity but go for efficiency. That should work in its favour for the long term.

History shows that the "efficient" cartridges survive.

JohnT

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I believe the WSM's will be around for a long time. I've got a 300 WSM... it's a nice cartridge. However, I personally can't find a "need" for a magnum under 30 cal (or, perhaps 7mm) as anything smaller is still essentially a deer cartridge... the "standard" rounds have deer-sized game covered to perfection... going to a sub-30 magnum, all of which are overbore, loud, hard on longer barrels and use more powder to kill deer-sized stuff no better than the "standards" has always puzzled me... as this is all fun and games, I realize everyone sees it differently and everyone's perspective varies.

BA

<Orion>
posted
AMEN!!!!Martin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Brunette or redhead?
that's all it boils down to
jeffe

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote