New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 350 Rem Mag fans out their?
 Login/Join

<71 Win>
posted
Would like to here any of your thoughts about this round and any load data anyone might have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This has become my most favorite round. I am shooting 200gr. X bullets guite succesfully. I guess I am lucky. I have a 700 Classic I believe the gun was made in 1985. I picked this gun up used, the previous owner had the trigger worked a brake installed(not sure manufacturer) and the barrel cyro treated. It is a great shooter and quite a lot of fun. I installed a Zeiss 3x12x56 Illuiminated scope on it. I know this is overkill but I can dial up to check out the racks to determine if I want to shoot or not. Brass is available, I got 500 rounds from Midway this shoud last most of lifetime. There is a loadbook available it contains the 35 Remington and the 350 Rem Mag. What I am looking for is reduced velocity loads for cast projectiles. This a great round that like most 35 caliber rounds never took off.

By the way I have a uncataloged Remington Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in 350 For Sale if anyone is interested. The classic I purchased was at a shop one day and I returned the next to get it and it was gone. After reading about the round I had to have one and ordered a model 7 from the Custom Shop. The used gun reappeared about two weeks after I ordered the Model 7. A model 700 mountain rifle appeared after a few more weeks.When the shop called Remington said they made a mistake. The rifle is built on a large action which is great, it allows you to shot heaver projectiles, many of which will not fit in the shorter action. This rifle is new in the box. The only thing I did do is see if it feed from the magazine without any problems due to the longer action. I figured it will be worth having since it was a Remington mistake. Contact me if anyone is interested.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have two .350 Mag "Classics" and one's for sale, if anyone is looking.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I saw a Model 7 from the Custom Shop last week in a shop up here. Blued with a laminated Mannlicher stock; nice ride. I looked at it two days in a row but finally walked away from it. I'll probably regret it. The .350RemMag in any rifle is a great round.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 350 RMAG 700 Classic is one of my favorites. 58 I or H4895 and 200 Hornady Spire Points have accounted for three PA whitetails. Total amount of forward progress for all the deer after one shot each = 0 yards!!

Something about those fat bullets really get the animal's attention, as many users of 35 Rem and 358 Win can attest. Hmmmm, maybe "ft lbs" isn't the only factor???

For light loads/ractice/plinking use a 158 grain handgun bullet over reduced charges of 4895. Amazingly accurate and little recoil.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the favorite of the safe, but it's more accurate than the big fat cartridge is supposed to be. It puts 3 into less than .50" very regularly. I have generally used 225 Sierras and Nolsers with 59.9 of Varget and get slightly over 2700 fps with a 22" Shilen barrel.

Hayes4- I am interested in your X bullet loads and or tales of harvested game. There was a guy on one of these boards that shot that combo exclusively and racked up quite a few African game species with it. You??? I heard that they are discontinuing the 200 grain X bullet. I hate to spend the cash on them, as I have not gotten good accuracy with Barnes ever, but the combo is appealing. I don't know what I'd need the "extra" penetration over a Nosler Partition for, but the idea is cool. I don't think anything in NA needs that much killing short of stopping charges.

I am taking my 350 on our NM fall bear hunt, and hope to use it. Even with all of these super penetrators, I could probably just as handidly take a 200 pound blackie with the 200 Hornadies. Nice to be ready though.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse

I am using 53 grains of H322 over CCI Benchrest primers(right at 1" groups). More than adequate for hunting. I do not have a crony but according to manuals I should be at 2500 fps. I have not shot anything heaver than whitetails with it but too many to count. All but one fell on their belly hit a little high and below the spine. The one that ran went about 25 yards but the blood trail was one of the easiest to follow. I am sighted three inched high at 100 yard and anything out to 300 yards is meat in the freezer. This is one rifle I have the most confidence in. Sometimes that makes all the diferance in the world. I hunt in Alabama mostly with friends with 7 Mags and can outshoot all of them. One final thing I do not know if the cyro treatment makes a differance with the X bullets, I have not tried them in any other gun.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great round. I had two of them, one went to my brother in Alaska (the Rem 600). The other one I built on a 98 action, lets me seat the bullets out further, which makes quite a differance in this cartridge (basically, this is Jeff Cooper's "Fireplug"). I get 2615 with Speer 250 gr bullets, and that gets the moose's attention every time. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
A very versatile round that makes potent little carbines. My M600 is great for size and weight, but the slightly longer M70 short action or the intermediate length of Mausers do allow a performance increase. The full length actions, however, miss the point of the cartridge that you can have real power in a light compact short action rifle. The M70 short action is likely the best balance point on length, and this is a good enough round that I may "need" a second.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since there are a few Classic owners here I have a question about the extractor on these rifles.
Has anyone else noticed that the cases don't eject with much energy? My Classic ( 350 Mag ) is lame when it comes to popping out an empty unless I pull the bolt back rather slowly. If I work the action somewhat quickly the cases will at times end up laying on top of the live rounds in the magazine.
This rifle is "New" as far as it has only had 10 rounds through it so far. This lame ejection is troubling to me in as far as I have seen times when a rather quick follow up shot was required and I don't want to have any problems if that were to occur. Any ideas? Hayes4 I just may be interested in that rifle your wanting to sell, lets talk.

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 07-29-2002, 06:15: Message edited by: Ron53 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duplicate Post, Stinkin computer!

[ 07-29-2002, 06:14: Message edited by: Ron53 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron, I've had this happen with a few of my remingtons, it seems to be a lazy ejector spring/gummed up ejector spring. You could also have a burr on the shaft of the ejector. A little clean up and/or a new spring should set you right. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
I'm looking, you got mail.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Sorry to jump in late, some foxes needed attention [Smile]
I also own two 350RM, one ruger with a brown precision stock, and a remington custom shop, both scoped with short 1,75-6X32 vari XIII leupold scopes.
The ruger weights 3,3kgs, the Rem7 weights 3,2kgs, all set.

I have tried 225 and 250gr partitions, 250gr hornadies (interlock), 250gr grand slams and 200gr X, in both rifles, with the same load: 51gr of Tubal 3000, to get 800m/s with the 200gr, around 720 with the 250gr).

All gave minute of boar accuracy, out to 300 meters.
The 200gr X is the most accurate bullet, giving MOA five shot groups at 200 meters in both rifles. It is also the easiest load to shoot, especially in the rem 7, which has a poorly (for me, at least) designed stock. (in it, the 250gr load is a pain in the a** to shoot, while shooting it with the ruger is a piece of cake, even prone).
Another friend is using the same loads in his rem 350 (stutzen stock).
RESULTS:
In 1999, we killed 34 animals, in 2000, 46, and in 2001 32, from foxes to red Deer and one 182kgs Boar, from some few meters to a 331 paces boar. No animal hit was lost, all bullets exited but the 225gr partition int the previously mentioned Boar (70kgs, stopped on the spot) and the 182kgs Boar (rolled like a rabbit).

I shot a Doe at around 250 meters in Spain last january, it made 10 meters, the bullet broke one shoulder and exited (200gr X). I also shot another (texas heart shot) and the bullet did not exit but the running animal collapsed on the spot and was dead when I arrived (around 60 meters).

In poland last November, I shot running spike at )around 50 meters, (200gr X), it made 3 meters. The bullet took both lungs and exited (thumbsize hole) there was blood everywhere)
Three shots (first a bit in the rear ;( second in the middle, third in the shoulder) in a 93kgs (gutted) running Boar at around 80 meters exited (barnes X).
Three medium sized boars consecutively shot died on the spot with the same load.

My Ruger, filled with 250gr Partitions, went in Africa last year with a friend and his daughter. She was very comfortable with the rifle, and took her animal (one Bubale (sorry, I do not know the english name)) with one shot at 120 paces...

I also know a guy who is using the 180gr speer only, with the same 51gr tubal 3000 load, he has killed all French big game species with it, (at less than 200 meters) all dropped VERY quickly.
BUT he says exits are rare, while my load generally give good blood trails.

My conclusions: with the 350RM and 200GR X, you get 9,3X62 efficiency in a light, compact package, and a much easier recoil to deal with.
I bought two blaser rifles, one 9,3 and one 300WSM, but my sweet ruger stays at home.
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pre-64 M70 that was originally a .358 WIN that has ben rechambered to .350. I put a French walnut stock on it and Mag-Na-Ported it. The nice thing about using the M70 action is that I can use longer bullets like the 225Gr. Nosler Balistic Tips that I don't think would work very well in a M700 or M600/660. I'm not sure about he Rugers length.
I've been shooting 59Gr of IMR 4320. I have not had great accuracy results but the effect on game is un-real!

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
<North of 60>
posted
I have had my 660 in 350 for a dozen years and have claimed a fair number of caribou with it. I like the 200 Corelockt with 60 grains of 4320 a mild load that breaks MOA at 2600 ft/sec. The 225 grain Nosler partition with the same load shoots 1.25 and penetrates very well. These little rifles are a delight I have one in 6.5 rem Mag and it's a hum dinger as well.
The 350 is a very sure killer with the same trajectory as a .308 Win in the same barrel length. the typical 35 caliber bullet has a much thicker jacket than a 30 caliber bullet and tends to open up more slowly and penetrate better. This of course does not include some of the light 200 grain R.N's designed for the 35 Rem. These explode like bombs and are very destructive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If any of you guys have a .350 Rem. model 700 classic for sale or trade, I would sure try to make a deal with you. I have a Browning blr81 in .358 win with all the goodies that I would reluctently let go. e-mail clcbears@hotmail.com

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote