New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle in 338-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a new rifle in 338-06. I sure would appreciate any advice as to what bullet and bullet weight will bring it to its potential.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
First, let me welcome you to the .338-06 club! Those of us who shoot it, love it. To your question, it really depends on what you are going to hunt w/ it.
For elk size & up, it is hard to beat a good 250gr bullet @ 2500fps. For deer size up to & including elk, the 210gr Nosler partition seems made for this caliber. At 2750fps, it shoots reasonably flat & packs a good whack out to 300 yds or so. The 225gr bullets may be a good compromise but I have never been able to get mine to shoot them well.
I have had my best results w/ RL15, anyones 06 brass, Fed. LR match & the 210gr NP. RL19 under the 250gr NP would be my moose or elk in the timber load. Good luck w/ your new toy.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Weatherby now sells .338-06 ammo with the 210 grain nosler-partition, try that.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby stuff is $40.00 a box here. If you reload and want some data let me know.The best bullet for accuracy is the Nosler 180 or 200 BT. Best all around would be 210 Partition. I like the 250 gr for elk and above. Welcome to the club of 338-06 owners.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I will be using this rifle for hunting deer, so I'll concentrate on the 200 grain bullets.

<waldog>
posted
I'm anticipating the arrival of amy 338-06 in a couple of weeks. As I am primairly a deer hunter, I'm thinking the 200 NBT should be just the ticket.

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Hornaday 250s in mine at 338 vel they well hold togather just fine.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FUN Begins,

I am also on the verge of getting my new barrel. A 24" stainless in 338-06. I have started picking up supplies for the reloading. I have Nosler 180gr BT for Deer and 225gr Seirra for Black Bear and Moose (if I ever get drawn). I am looking forward the range results and the "in field " results. Good luck on your choices and post any results. (Including any load data, always looking for that)

Same Trigger, Same feel, Same Results [Big Grin]

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Single Shot, I know what you mean about the fun just starting. Halve the fun of a new caliber is buying new components and working up loads.