THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Twist rate recommendation for 6.5mm?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twist rate recommendation for 6.5mm?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I will take delivery of my 6.5x284 soon. This particular rifle will have a 1-8 twist. I am considering a couple more 6.5 calibers so I need some advice since this diameter is new to me. The following quote is from a prominent barrel maker and I'd like your thoughts:

quote:
For 6.5 I use 8-3/4 twist for the 260 an like cases. This works down to 2600 for 140 grain bullets. For 6.5 x 284 I use 9.1 twist.

On the 6.5 I have shot that for years. Started with 6.5 x 08 long before there was a 260. I found that bullets like the 140 Amax or the 142 Sierra shot very well down to 2600 ft/sec in 8-3/4 twist. The best all around is a around 2725 to 2750. You can shoot a 260 over 2800 but found it could cause problems like increased fouling and jacket damage.

Stability is a function of length measure in calibers. This gives you a way to get some comparison across the board. Now thing of a piece of metal tied to a string. Spin it around your head. The farther out the string is let to go the more the pull on it. Bullet stability is a function of centrifugal force so change in bullet diameter and launch speed change the force to keep it stable. You have to thing of revoultions per second.

I've made a chart based on my experience over many years and calibers. The 6.5's 140-142 at around 2950 corrected from the 260 velocities at 8-3/4 twist to 9.3 twist. I got gearing for this but simply have got it finished. My regular 9 twist is actually 9.08 so I call it 9.1 and these barrels have worked very well.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I shoot 9 twist in all of mine with no problems at all. 6.5x55, 6.5-06AI, 264WM and 6.5-284Win all have 9 twists with no problems, (I forget what the standard Remington 260 twist is) but I don't shoot bullets heavier than 142 grains. Don't see the need. I have barrels from both Douglas and Lilja on all but the 260 and they work fine.

I know others have had other problems with the 9 twist, but not me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I was considering a 260 Remington. So, now the question becomes, do I go with a 8-3/4 twist or the 9.1 twist?

I think the largest bullet I'd shoot would be a 140, but will be giving the 130 AB a try as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
My 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 both have 1:8.5" twist barrels, and I an happy with both.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I normally recommend 8, but on an '06 or 284 case, a 8.5 is commonly used and should be considered due to pressure as well as spin.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I recommend a 1:8.

In rounds such as the .260, anything slower than 1:8 will be borderline should you decide to shoot something like the 140 grain A-Max or some of the Berger VLDs.

Keep in mind that you can't, within reason, overstabilize a projectile, but you can certainly UNDERstabilize one... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9358 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Doc-

I forgot to add that my 1:8 barrels shoot everything -- from the stubby Sierra 85 grain HP through the various 140s -- with extreme precision. The faster twist is NOT a hindrance to light bullet accuracy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9358 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, 8 twist is not an option. Only the 2 I mentioned.

Either 1-8 3/4 or 1-9.1, that's it.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Doc, I assume this will be a game rifle and as such I would want the faster twist. My 6.5/284 is a 1 in 9 and I was told at the time (reading PS etc.) that it might not stabalize the 140's. Bah Humbug... sure does. I am not confident that the .260 can get the speeds claimed without major pressure, as my 27" Hart has +P+ to reach the 3,000+ level with the 140's. I would have gone to a 1 in 8 as Bobby Tomek mentioned above.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I will probably stick with the 120-130 bullet wt range anyway.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If I couldn't have a one in 7.5, then I'd take the closest thing to a 1 in 8 as humanly possible...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 8 3/4 twist.I am on my fourth 260,2 rem with 9 twist,ruger with 8 twist and a shilen barrel with 8 twist.The first one rem mtn rifle shot fair with up to 140 gr bullets,sold it because I wanted a 24 in barrel,ruger with 8 twist would shoot the 140 well,the 24 in rem bdl is a tack driver with 120 and less but only fair with 125 gr up.The shilen 8 twist so far has shot everything I have tried in it,85,120,140,142.My buddie gave me some 160's to try in it last week,I loaded 5 with R-19,but by the time I got to the range I only could find 4,never did find the 5th one.The 4 at 100 yds shot a 1/2 in group so the 8 twist should do well up to the 160 gr bullets.
On the berger box it says 1:9 or faster with the 140's I haven't tried them in my rem bdl but plan to when I get around to it.
I tried a box of the 130 acc-bonds in my rem bdl last year with different powders but never got an acceptable load with them.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given those two, I would opt for the 8-3/4 if it was my rifle.

While I have shot and loaded lots of 140-144 grain bullets in all of mine without an issue, I really don't see the need for 90% of what I shoot. I shoot a lot of 100-129 grain bullets so I just pick which bullet my particular rifle likes the best and go from there.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote