THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Poll: Fastest, most flat shooting mid-bore cartridge?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Fastest, most flat shooting mid-bore cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the fastest, most flat shooting mid bore cartridge available? It can be Factory or Wildcat.

[This message has been edited by Shark Bait (edited 03-21-2002).]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The 338 Flatline, a 338 Lapua, improved.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
338-416 Rigby Imp......3310fps with a 300gr MK out of a 37"barrel

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any H&H action length based 308 caliber with Sierra matchKings, IE 30-8mm Rem, 300 Weatherby, 30-378 Weatherby, 300 Ultra, yadda yadda.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
.338-50BMG, yes they do exist and will shoot pretty darn well!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I was reading about a cartridge called the
30 Cody Express and does anybody know of this caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Cody Express is a 30-416 Rigby Improved.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you are right, DanD - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob must like that 338-50. How many shots out of each barrel, 10?

Vulcan sounds like a better deal.
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
When someone asks a question about a medium bore,why are all the answers about big bores?It would be nice to stick to the thread.IMHO
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
i heard that the 300 remington ultra mag could shoot flat to 300 yards

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shark Bait:
What is the fastest, most flat shooting mid bore cartridge available? It can be Factory or Wildcat.

[This message has been edited by Shark Bait (edited 03-21-2002).]

Been loading my brother's older Rem 700 270. It chucks 135 gr Match Kings into about one hole at 100- doing an easy 3150. I gave the elevation dial on complete turn up from a 100 zero and fired a sighter into the 600 yd backstop. Heck, I was about a foot high- maybe more. Dead on line though.

Maybe some are flatter- but how much flatter is practical. Past this point, barrel wear starts running a hefty tab.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
The .30-378 with the 240 grain MATCH-KING! Oh my!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently in love with the 30-8mm Remington, all the power of a 300Weatherby without worrying about freebore and being able to have a tightneck.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have become convinced the best medium ould be the .505 Gibbs case necked down and shortened to ~2.2 or 2.3 inches with a 0.620" diameter and 37 degree shoulder. A 0.500" neck would hold the bullet concentric.

With the 0.640 base that would make it short, fat and voluminus. Now to convince Winchester to make a primer twice as energetic as their current LRMP. I think they could call it "the flamethrower". That would be the best ticket to max velocity without huge volumes of unburned powder blowing into the bore.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Roger: There is 416PGW based on .505Gibbs, 3000fps+ with 400gr bullet, or .375 PGW. There is also .408 Chey-Tac - 419gr at 2890fps from 28" barrel.

http://www.cheyennetactical.com
http://www.edmarms.com
http://www.prairiegunworks.com

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
.300 win mag necked down to 6.5mm pushing 150gn matchkings would work i'd reakon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the books the 270 Wby is the flattest shooting rifle that we have today..

I don't know and am not into flat shooting rifles, I still like the 300 H&H for long range hunting.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
There is 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird, I think 4000fps with 130gr GS HV and 28" barrel. But most flat shooting could be something crazy like saboted J40 .308 220gr bullet with BC .930 in .50/20mm rifle or so

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
The Lazzorini Jiri mentioned is a nice choice, and so is the 7mm STW.

<grkldoc>
posted
Flattest shooting how far?
Over the 1st 300 yards? the gun that shoots the fastest.
Over a thousand yards? the gun that shoots the bullet with the best ballistic coefficient. Here muzzle velocity will have a lesser effect.

For my purposes, 0-1000 yds, I like the 6.5 STW with the Lost River Ballistics 120 gr. J36 bullet Ballistic Coefficient=.687 goes at 3600 fps ,yes, safe pressures. Has 2000 foot lbs at 600 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that my Sako TRG-S, which is going to become a Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan as soon as it arrives, will be one of the flatest shooters out there.

I expect that it is going to outperform my 338-8mm Rem Mag, my 338-300 WSM, my 338 Win Mag, 338-06 and my 338-08AI by a goodly distance.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grkldoc:

For my purposes, 0-1000 yds, I like the 6.5 STW with the Lost River Ballistics 120 gr. J36 bullet Ballistic Coefficient=.687 goes at 3600 fps ,yes, safe pressures. Has 2000 foot lbs at 600 yards.

Sounds like a good idea but I don't think the bank will give me a loan to purchase a season's worth of J36s. heheh

<T/Jazz>
posted
Dan D. The 30 Cody Express can drive a 30 caliber 250 grain bullet at over 4000fps using 110 grn. of powder. The parent case is the 416 Rigby. Anybody for far out younder groundhogs or prairie dogs?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a better idea T/J I live over here in Ny, how bout we both get one and we will put targets on our roof tops for each other? heheh I used to think the 300 Weatherby was king, then I came to this forum.......

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is not possible to drive 250gr bullet at 4000fps by 110gr of powder from any case . . .

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some of you should invest in a chronograph and see just how these wizards of velocity get those claimed figures and if they do at what pressure...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson:

If 250 is mistake and 150gr was mentioned, I belive it could be possible from long barrel like 35" with 110gr of powder, but . . .

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, you guys are the first ones to see this. The reamer is ordered. It is not a medium bore, It is the .218/338/50 and has three shoulders, a lot of powder and shoots a 46 grain hornet bullet at light speed. It is so flat it drops just relative to the curvature of the earth. You have to shoot it with a steel back drop so the bullet doesnt circumnavigate the globe and hit you in the back.

The cartridge under it is a .338 win mag for comparison.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I WANT ONE!!!

Chic, can I rent the reamer once you have finished with it!!?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

That is just too funny!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, you can but the shipping costs for all that metal is horrendous.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Customstox
, You cheated. This is a small-bore missile...
Medium Bore Rifles
Topic: Poll: Fastest, most flat shooting mid-bore cartridge?
Damn funny too...

Scout...

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Chic,

One problem and one question. The problem is that it doesn't have a belt. All ultra fast cartridges must have a belt. The question is: Do you crimp?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
CustomStox...
Can I order one in a short action ... and when is Winchester bringing out the WSM version.
I used to have a pen that looked like that based on a 30-06 case I think...

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shark Bait:
]

For me 338/50 Talbot. Mid bore cartridge in a .50 BMG round. You can find most flat and most fast.

See link below.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w33850.html

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ber,

Great site that you mentioned.

Seems I know one of the Moderators on that site

hehehehe

------------------

Regards,

Mark

<JerrBear356>
posted
50-20mm Pac-Nor Ackley Improved.

I think this is probably the most flat shooting wildcat or production cartrige. Pac-Nor makes barrels, but who makes big enough actions.

Hey Saeed, you should build one of those and post some ballistics on the reloading page!

However, more realistically I just got rid of my Sako TRG-S in 30-378wby improved. We were able to get over 3800ft/sec with 180gr and about 118 grains of powder!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, this thread has got me thinking about designing a new cartridge called the 270 A.B. The A.B. stands for "After Burner" and works like this: Take a good quality tea bag, (Lipton or Typhoo would be perfect) snip the bag open and pour out the tea, then refill the bag with either Blue Dot, Red Dot or Green Dot...depending what color of fireball you want to see later.
Next, tape this powder bag to the muzzle of your rifle. When you fire your 270 and the bullet penetrates your teabag containing the secondary charge, the firey gasses will ignite the second charge and TADAAAA, you get the second stage or "After Burner Effect!" By applying the SWAG factor to my calculations, I think this could boost the 270s muzzle velocity an extra couple thousand fps. PLUS...you would get these great benefits without any extra chamber pressure or reduced barrel life as the second stage is burned out of the barrel. Hee,hee,hee...and some of you guys thought I was just an old fool, didn't cha?

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 05-13-2002).]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should start a company and call it "Ideas R Us." Anyone wanna send me some "investment capital?"

Get in on the ground floor!

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote