New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage tacticals: Any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since I can't seem to get my 30-06 out of the shop, I'm considering another rifle. Someone said
these savages are very accurate, after a trigger job, or, after the trigger is replaced?

Anyone used one?

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are very accurate I have 2 one 223 and one 308 the 223 shots sub half min groups all the time. A lot of .375 groups.I have not shot the 308 a lot but with 168 gr match bullets I have no trouble keeping them under 3 in at 300 yards. I think with a little load development it well to come in under 3/4's. I replace all my savage triggers with timmy triggers.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Pdog shooter,

Your load development is done:

168 grain Sierra Matchking
43.6 grains IMR 4895
Federal 210 GM primer
Winchester brass case
OAL @ 2.865"

for longer range:

175 grain Sierra Matchking
45.0 grains Varget
CCI BR primer (don't substitute any other primer)
Winchester or Lapua case
OAL @ 2.875"

If your rifle doesn't shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with either of these loads, you may want to *slightly* adjust the seating depth.

My guess is you'll be right on the money. My 10FP shoots 1/4 MOA with either load, routinely, and yes, properly measured [Wink] ...

Savage's tactical rifles are phenominally accurate. Ask Paul Box with Sierra about them. They are the most accurate production rifles available today in his opinion, and he mentions that other Sierra techs agree.

Good luck,

Dan Newberry
green 788

posted Hide Post
EXTREMELY accurate! My 10FLP .223 shoots 50, 55, 62, and 63gr bullets under 1/2" @ 100yds. regularly. I have slain p-dogs, woodchucks, and coyote with this rifle, and I consider it 'certain death' on varmints.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have a 10FP that will do 5 shots though one ragged hole all day. It's been worked on a little, Sharp shooter Supply trigger, SSS Recoil lug, SSS stock and glassbeding. 168gr Sierra matchkings, 42.5 gr of IMR4064 put together with Lee collet dies. It's the most accurate rifle in the safe and also the ugliest. TC

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
here you go  -

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here's another  -

one of us
posted Hide Post
TCI
Function=beauty to me, and any rifle that shoots one hole, is Sophia Loren, in my book.

[Wink]
Beautiful rifle.

Thanks

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage lists their big game rifles as control feed. Is that the ' push feed' that isn't as good as the Mauser action, or am I confused because it's late?

s

<green 788>
posted
Socrates, I don't know anything about the controlled feed options on the Savages, however since this option is reserved for the dangerous game rifles, Savage must believe it to be a more reliable system. And it of course is... I have a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester which has taught me a great appreciation for the CRF.

And speaking of it being late, if forgot to include a disclaimer for the unwashed with the above mentioned load data: The loads I posted are maximum loads, and should be worked up to beginning about 5% or so under, checking for signs of pressure.

Thanks for the IMR 4064 recipe, TC1. I like having alternatives in case of component scarcity. Now,

Tell us about that stock!

Cool rifle. The 10FP's piss off a lot of custom rifle shooters...

A recent test of Lazzeroni rifles (profiled in Shooting Illustrated) showed the Savage built Lazzeroni rifle shooting tighter groups (some in the .1's!) than the 5000 dollar LZ2000 Lazzeroni custom. John Lazzeroni could not have been pleased, as he participated in the tests himself.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
green788 thanks for the load ideas. The 308 savage project is just kind of setting on the back burner. I only brought it because it was only 200 dollars new in the box. I most likey well be shooting nosler 168gr j4s in it as I brought a bunch at 72 dollars for 1000.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell us about that stock!

Sharp Shooters Supply Above is the the link for the stock. You can have it in different colors(base and webbing) and pull length can be specified. He also sells thumb hole versions if you like those. TC

<green 788>
posted
Thanks, TC. I'll check into that. Not too long before the old birthday rolls around again! [Smile]

PDog shooter, You practically stole that rifle for 200 bucks. Great deal! You will almost certainly discover that it will be the most accurate rifle in your battery, regardless of price...

Check out the Savage 10FP tips you can find at this site www.snipershide.com Go to forums, and find a thread called "potterman had a good idea" for an excellent stock mod (unless you do what TC did and get the SS stock). There are many other good bits of advice regarding this rifle at the 'hide.

Dan Newberry
green 788