THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Curent price for a pre 64 model 70 in 270

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curent price for a pre 64 model 70 in 270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know what a pre 64 model 70 in 270 Win is going for these days. A shooter, not a collector. With out scope. Used but not abused. Standard, FW or Supergrade.

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There was/is one at a shop here in CT and they are asking $695 for it. It's a well worn std. grade.

That's kind of high for one so worn. I think that one is worth $595 at most. If it were nice but say had a pad on it that was well done I think $700 would be ok. A featherweight might bring more as far fewer were made. There is a confict here between the collectors and the shooters.

Supergrades go for twice these prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 270fw.(1955) in 98% new condition for $500 about 2mo. ago. Needless to say I was tickled. In April at a gun show I bought a rebarreled (by R.G. Douglas) .338mag with 4X Redfield scope for $400. Rifle was about 85-90%, shoots great. I think I got another great buy. Least you think I find prices like this every day, no way. Just goes to show there are deals out there. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
I was at a gun show this weekend and a dealer had
(are you ready for this!) Winchester 94 lever gun that he was selling as a "pre 64"!!! [Roll Eyes]
Looking at the price I'd say he was really proud of that gun! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A pre-64 M-70 270 standard grade in NRA very good to excellent, unaltered except for maybe a pad, will probably cost around $600 to $700. I see them for less occasionally but asking prices seem to be firming up a little again. Featherweights may be a little more and unaltered supergrades bring 2-3 times as much. And 270's generally bring more than 243's or 30-06's.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A featherweight in 90% plus will bring about $1000-1100. The 270 will bring more than an 06. I saw a Supergrade 270 fwt and the asking price was $3500.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloaderman: A Winchester 94 made prior to 1964 is a "pre-64", exhibits higher quality than later '94's, and will bring a premium over post-1963 guns. I don't doubt that the dealer was unreasonable in his asking price (most of them seem to be smoking some mind-altering substance), but a premium of $100 or more dollars over a similar later model 94 would be normal.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I got a complete 1951 mfg rifle (270) last week for 600. They seem to go for more normally. The action looked almost new. The bbl had a couple of small pits (like blood). The butt plate was some what rusty around the edges. The stock had a small split inside in front of the trigger. That is the cheapest I have been able to find. I wanted it to make a 280 but it shot under an inch so decided to repair the split, clean the butt plate and leave as is. I would like to know where folks are finding all the pre 64s in the 400 range. They are not around here.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy,
Your not holding your mouth right. [Wink]

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Pete. You are probably right. I notice a lot of them are located in Idaho and live at gunshows. Seems like there are more reasonable prices there. Folks here seem to be really proud of their stuff.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Sometimes a gun will sell for far less than value and If I got one I would be tempted to tell about it. In fact I got a .300 H&H for a good deal.

I could say that I got a pre 64 M70 new in the box for $129 because I did! Of course that was 1957! So the stories go.

I saw one last week at MCS in Brookfield, CT. It was $695 and the stock was trashed. Some old guy owed it and he put a Weatherby like inlay in the forend, sprayed the stock from a can in general messed it up. He also seemed to carry the rifle for 50 years as the floor plate was well worn. The rest of the metal was just ok.

That one was priced too high due to the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy

At the Puyallup WA. Gun Show, held once a month with 700 - 800 Tables, a pre-64 Win in 06 or 270 will generally go for $500-600. You can find a number in lesser condition for $400 plus.

In July I bought a pre war 06 (1939) in about 90% condition with one of those weaver scopes with adjustments in the mounts for $400.

It seems like certain guns bring quite diffent prices depending on where you live. I just sold an LC Smith 16 GA in excellent condintion with 99% CC for $1300 to a guy in Georgia but couldn't get $800 for it in WA.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on condition how a M-70 pre 64 is priced and the scaricty of the caliber...Below is a good average and can vary $50. in either direction. Add a $100 for a FWT.

270 Std. Wt.
Mint, with Hang Tags and Box $2500 up
mint, $1200.
95% $1000.
90% $800.
75 to 80% $650. to $700.

Posts: 41837 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. That is very helpful. Did not realize box and hang tags made such an impact.