New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 100 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you guyes messed with one ? are they dependable and fairly accurate ? My buddy has one and it fits me really well. his will shoot 3 shot groups of 1 1/2. Is this good enough for 300 yd deer shooting. How does this rifle compare to a Rem. 7400
I have two Bars and they are the best but very heavy.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Either way it's alwasys exciting. Sieze the Day !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned soem and shot and been around a lot. Accurate, not really. Never seen one that would do an honest 1 1/2" agrregate claimed by your friend - menaing average of 5, 5 shot groups at 100 yards, no "called flyers".

Reliable, well the best advice I was given wa swhen I bought my first one a former long-time M100 iowner told em to go ahead and buy another one for parts.

For soem reason in south-central Arkansas, there are many M100 shooters.I know many folks there who uses them, but they all fit the above description.

I dn't think and higher of the M7400. Been around well over a hundered. Same story. THey do perfrom reliably at first.

The BAR is the most accurate on average and most reliable by an overwhelimg largin

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a Win M100 .308 carbine quite a lot. It was a VERY accurate gun always shot 1" groups if i did my part.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the 2 m-100's I own. Granted I've only put about 500 rounds through each but they've always functioned reliablely and accuracy is plenty decent for a hunting rifle. I can easily get 1 1/2" groups out of both of them which is plenty good for deer out to 200yds which is all the further I trust to shoot at game with "my" skills. For referance one of mine is a pre-64 rifle in 308 and the other is a post-64 carbine in 243. I prefer the pre-64 just because I like the cut checkering on the stock much better than the smooth stock on the carbine, which is in my opinion still a WHOLE lot better than that A$$ UGLY basket weave press pattern found on many of post-64's, but that's just my opinion. Can't imagine that would effect the way one would shoot unless that irritated the shooter that much.Wink Wink

Can't really give you a performance comparison to the BAR haven't totally gone though my BAR yet. Not sure that would be a good comparison anyway since mine is in 338 Win Mag. Totally different class of cartridge. I will agree that the BAR is considerablely heavier than the m-100 not nearly the joy to carry. But having said that the BAR is one NICE, SOLID GUN! Smiler

Good luck whatever you choose!

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Got my first .308 in 1965, cost $114 nib, the only thing good about it was the cartridge. The rifle wasn't reliable and didn't shoot as well as those around me shot their rifles. If they tried mine, they went happily back to their Remington 742's. Accrate, not that one...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Carl, I've messed with a few of them and the "Reliable" ones are difficult to locate. Let me tone that down slightly because when I saw them, they all came to me with "Feed Problems". The ones that worked, seemed to work fine.

If your buddy is familiar with removing the stock, have him take it off so you can see the operating mechanism. There is a "trick" to getting the stock off and on dealing with the Safety. If it is done wrong, it is easy enough to split the thin stock.

Once you get the stock off, watch all the things moving as the Bolt is slowly cycled. Pretty amazing design which is very complicated. And if one of the action bars gets a slight bend in it, that will goof up the timing. Not something most folks want to try and deal with.

The last one that came to me had been to a GunSmith to have the Firing Pin replaced under the Winchester M100 Recall. If your buddy's has not been through this, I'm not sure whether to recommend it or not. The particular GunSmith was not really up on the M100s and managed to bend one of the action bars during the modification and got it out of time. And he had no idea at all how to get it working again.

If you see anyone working on one and they decide they need to "Force a piece loose", they have about a 95% chance of creating a "spare parts rifle".

The NRA "used to have" Tear-Down Manuals that you could get of multiple action styles. One of them has the M100 in it, cause I gave mine to the guy that brought that last M100 to me.

They sure do fit well in the hand though. And a 2-7x Leuplod Compact scope mounted on them looks as if it was designed specifically for them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
The M88 was a better gun, the M100 was orginally a failed military project that Winchester try to save by introducing the Model 100 hunting rifle.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote