THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Best deal on CZ 550 American in 9.3x62?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best deal on CZ 550 American in 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
A friend of mine is looking for a CZ American in 9.3x62. Does anyone know who has the best price? And is the 9.3x62 readily available in the states?

p.s. he also wants to know if the triggers are any good? Thanks, Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my experience is that the 550 triggers are, and adjustable. if the American comes with a single set trigger (like my lux had) i've found that adjusting the regular trigger to a good pull seems to just about kill the single set.

[ 06-19-2002, 21:44: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
I would higly recommend Hit&Run out of Georgia. I live in Grants, New Mexico and have purchased three CZ550s from him, one in the CZ550 American configuration and the other two in the CZ550 Full Stock. Phil, the owner, does a lot of internet business and is perhaps the largest CZ dealer in the United States. His CZ550 Americans sell for between $429 to $449. He has three CZ550 Americans in 9.3x62 available right now. The full stock also comes in 9.3x62, but I rather imagine it kicks like a mule. Get on the internet, go to GunsAmerica.com. Once you get to that site, go to the little little finder window and type in CZ 550 American. All of the rifles you see are listed by Phil. His outfit is in Georgia and he is very honest. His telephone number is also listed there. I don't mind helping out others who have helped me and Phil certainly has lived up to someone who will help you. If you don't mind, tell him that Tom Purdom of Grants steered you his way. I'd appreciate it. I don't get one darn thing for doing this, other than the satisfaction of knowing that I may have helped someone else get into one of these fine rifles. My rifles, by the way, are in 7x57 mm Mauser. In the American I have glassbedded the action, set the trigger at exactly 3#, refinished the stock with GB Lindspeed Oil, and had the bolt jeweled in the small herringbone pattern and the bolt handle polished. It is one damn fine looking rifle. I use 160 grain Nosler Partitions with the bullet seated to .01 inch from the lands. I have 49 grains of powder, a Federal primer, Remington brass and the thing chronos at 2,845 feet per second and will put five rounds into a .992 inch circle all darn day long. If I reduce the powder charge to 48.2 grains I get 2,820 fps velocity and five rounds go into a .602 inch group. Those CZs are fine rifles, though I think the American is much better finished than the Full Stock models. Just my three cents worth ... Tom Purdom [Big Grin]

<thomas purdom>
posted
I gave you a bum steer. That's GunBroker.com, not GunsAmerica.com. The rest holds true. Tom

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Much thanks, Tom, I will pass on this info to my friend, and at those prices I will probably pick one up just to check it out. I will definitely pass on that you referred us. Again, thnaks for the info. Dr. Lou [Smile]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas:

How do you draw those exactly .992 inch diameter circles all darn day long? [Big Grin]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
Fatcat: It ain't easy. Some groups are right at one inch, others are at .7 inch. The ones at .7 inch I simply say it was darn good shooting on my part, the ones at one inch I'll chalk up to a sudden gust of wind. When I average the thing out it comes to .992 inches. This is for gtroups using the higher charge of powder. On a more serious note, I do measure from the two holes that are the most apart, outside to outside, then subtract a bullet diameter, in this case I subtract .284 from the spread. The differences are so minute between all the groups that I feel comfortable saying that the load (my rifle and I added in the equation as well) will go into a .992 inch circle all day long! Have a tolerable day Fatcat! Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, I have to correct you:

the 9.3x62 full stocked, DOES NOT kick like a mule!!

I have one. It is the "Medium" action and has a good recoil pad ( it also has two cross bolts and a recoil lug at the barrel under the rear sight ). Its more a shove and the muzzle raises somewhat. There is hardly any difference in recoil to a .30-06, 180 grs, Win 70, classic stocked, 24" bbl and very heavy!!

This in spite of the energy in the best 9.3 loadings are being identical to .300 Win and .338 Win!!

( trajectory is different of course )

Buy that FS 9.3 and be surprised about its accuracy and mild recoil.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
I can second the recommendation of Phil @ Hit and Run. Every time I go back to Ga to visit parents I stop by and pick up another CZ for projects. I rechambered my 9.3x62 to 64, added ebony grip and end cap, red recoil pad, refinished the stock and had the metal bead blasted and reblued. Nice rifle. The 7x57 is at the smith's being rechambered to 7x64 and will undergo the same treatment. Buy from Phil--a real character and good guy to deal with. Bob Ryles

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get one at JAX Sporting Goods in Ft Collins Co (970)-221-0544 x293 for $470.00. Head guy in the gun dept is named Pete Mercier.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote