Find
Notify
Tools

300 Remington Short Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted
I recently purchaced a 300rsum and really like the rifle and the round, but wonder if it will still be around in the future. The 300 win short seems to far outsell the Remington.Hopefully Remington will keep it alive. Comments????Thanks

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really feel that the short Rem will go by the way of the 8mm Rem Mag.
The WSM is so far outselling the Remington, tht it may just be dropped.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two chances for the Rem short to stick around. One is because of the AR-10 platform.
Rsaum will work, but the WSM will not. Some long range competition shooters are playing with this.
Second, is if Remington introduces a 25saum. Everyone has been asking for this but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. It should have came out last year if Remington was on the ball. From what I read, the WSM case for some reason is not optimal for calibers under 270.
Nothing wrong with the 300 saum. Winchester just beat Remington to the punch and marketed better.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I have seen several Model 700s for sale with Remington Factory 270 and 300 Winchester Short Mag barrels on them.... that is not a good sign...

I, as a handloader don't care so much about the cartridges as I do the brass being available...

I just like having it available for being able to do some wildcatting...I think that the Rem USM's case is a good thing to have around... Especially one in 7mm or 6mm ( for varminting!)..

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that the RSAUMs will fit in a Model 7 but the WSMs won't. I think Remington would want to keep these cartridges alive for that reason alone.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Considering Remingtons history of supporting rounds they come out with if they don't sell boxcar loads of guns and ammo, I don't think the short ultras are likely to be supported long term.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote