New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 win mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was hoping someone could help me with this. I'm looking to purchase a 338 win mag and need some advice as to the make/model that is recommended. The only must haves is that it is a top loader, wooden stock and a fairly light gun. I have looked through a number of guns - tikka t3, sako 85 and I see that steyr/sauer dont make this calibre. I am very interested in the Dakota classic. Your views will be much appreciated.

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Kukhama, Have a look at the New Ruger Hawkeye. I have always liked the M77 action and the new Ruger is a light well balanced rifle. Having said that there are a lot of really good rifles on the market now. From Mauser M03, through the Blaser R93 to Sako, Remington and others. It depends a bit on your budget. I recently got a Dakota 76 action which I am going to get built into a 416 Rigby, and it is a very smooth action. In the end it is a personal preference thing. You need to go and look at a lot of rifles, and see how they feel. Pick the one that feels like an extension of you.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have one of the old runger 77's with tang safety. Not too heavy, shoots good groups and is a delight to hunt with.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion is to find a better sporting shop and have them lay examples of the different rifles on the counter. Shoulder and handle each one several times. One of them will whisper, "take me home".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my all-time favourite cartridge and I have owned 12 rifles so chambered while retaining 7 of these. My suggestions are as follows.

1. An OLDER Dakota, made when Don Allen was still running things and with a "tuneup" by a good 'smith is a fine rifle. I have an early three-digit one in .338 and it is great, but, needed some work before it would function perfectly. These CAN be found used and are worth buying.

2. Sako 85, no other factory rifle has impressed me this much in decades, I like the stainless-laminated versions.

3. Ruger Hawkeye, a good rifle with a little tuning and at a "working man's" price.

4. A "Classic" Win. Mod. 70, bought used and tuned, this is a fine option.

5. Best of all, a Pre-64 Mod. 70 original bedded into a GOOD synthetic stock, my favourite belted magnum rifles and I have quite a few of these. I have NEVER had even a "hiccup" from one of the P-64 belted mags. I have had and trust them totally. The "downside" here is COST as a nice one can run you a couple grand.

I won't own a big game rifle that is not crf, but, there are pf .338s out there. HTH.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+! on Dewey's comments.

Some years ago I lucked into a custom pre-64 M70 in .338 Win Mag fitted with a SS Krieger barrel, NECG sights and a beautifully done Gun Kote finish set in a top of the line McMillan stock. Weighs a little less than 8 pounds with a 3-9x40 MC Zeiss Conquest.

Wasn't cheap, but is without doubt the best bolt rifle I've ever bought with my own money. Routinely provides 2" groups at 300 yards with 225 gr Barnes X bullets.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I have one of the old runger 77's with tang safety. Not too heavy, shoots good groups and is a delight to hunt with.

My exact choice too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My wife has the Wby vanguard Stainless Sub MOA in 338 win mag. Very impressive rifle and I could easily recommend one to anybody. The trigger will require a little bit of work from the box, or replaced with a timney. The Sub MOA has a decent fiberglass stock and decelerator pad which makes for nice recoil handling. Rifle is capable of 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yds with 225 TSX in the pipe.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I've got a Sako 75 Hunter in .338 WM that'll put 3 225 grain TSX's in 3/4" or better. The action is buttery smooth, fit and finish are fantastic, and the trigger breaks like glass-nicest factory rifle I own, hands down.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another old M77 with the tang saftey here. Its a solid rifle and shoots very well. I am thinking about retiring it to the safe for sentimental reasons and will probably go with a Tikka or Sako as my next .338 Win. Mag.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments. It's a bit difficult to get my hands on any variety of guns here in Botswana so my choice will be based purely on advice and from what I've seen on the net. Leaning towards the Sako 85 at the moment, looks like a quality gun to me. Never had any problems with the rifles I own in Sako 75. I've been quoted R24000 or $3000 for the Sako 85, is this the right sort of level?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good, used Sako AVs in 338 that can be had for $700-$1000. I think they're the best deal going in a used gun. Most are like new. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the situation is these days vis-a-vis import from Britain there in Botswana, but you might want to look here for good used rifles:

http://www.ukgunroom.com/ukGunDealers.jsp

If the import situation makes it worth your while to look there, I would recommend using that site's "search" function to see if you can locate a nice Sako Safari Grade .338. I have one of my own, and think it is an outstanding rifle.

BTW, that price you were quoted sounds awfully high to me. What IS the exchange rate on the rand these days? Or, is it because of import duties?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77 mkII and like it, I also like the idea of the Kimber "classic" rifles.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a paddle-stock M77 stainless (M-70 safety, not tang), and I love it. I put a 2 X 8 VX-III on it, and couldn't be happier. The rifle cost me $390 in the middle '90s.

I got it for an elk hunt that never materialized, and I was looking for a rifle that would take an elk at 300 yards. So I wasn't very concerned with accuracy, given the size of an elk. (It's not like an elk is . . . like . . . the size of a squirrel.)

Imagine my surprise when I found it shoots 225 gr. Hornadys into 1 MOA all day long. It's easy to carry and it comes up and points well for me, and everything else into 1.25 MOA.

I'm more confidet in this rifle than in my .270 pre-64 M-70 FW, which is also an MOA rifle. (Did I really say that??)

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Several years ago in preparing for my first trip to Namibia I wanted to take a .338 WM. I'm not sure why now, but I did. I went through 5 or 6 different rifles, none would shoot 250gr. like I wanted. I finally built one that would shoot 250 gr. MOA. If I had shot 225 gr.'s I would probably have stopped with the first rifle, Sako AIII.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .338 is a Ruger stainless in a laminated stock. It came with open sights as well since I like the idea of a back up in case something accidentally happens to the scope. as to weight, I dunno. Maybe around 8 1/2 lbs. or so. It's my "go to" rifle for our moose hunts and with a 225 gr. North Fork, knocks 'em dead very quickly. I understand that you guys have some very good bullets for loading in your area so I guess that's a moot point.

B.L.Oconner: A pox on you for your comments on your pre-64 Mod. 70 .270!!!!!
thumbdown thumbdown
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, EVERYBODY KNOWS that an O'Connor has NO use for a .270W., ESPECIALLY one of them dang P-64 FWs!!!!!

I wouldn't trade my pair of these for a new 4x4.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kukhama:
Thanks for all the comments. It's a bit difficult to get my hands on any variety of guns here in Botswana so my choice will be based purely on advice and from what I've seen on the net. Leaning towards the Sako 85 at the moment, looks like a quality gun to me. Never had any problems with the rifles I own in Sako 75. I've been quoted R24000 or $3000 for the Sako 85, is this the right sort of level?

I've got a Weatherby Vanguard, cheap & nasty but best rifle I own. R12000-00 with good quality scope, almost 1/2" with very old 300gr factory Winchester Power points, same with 250gr Rem. Corelokt @ 2700ft/s. Trigger needs work to smooth & lighten pull. Nothing wrong with this setup, will take-on any fancy .338, at more than double the price, on the range.

Enjoy the caliber in any rifle though!!!!!!!!! Perfect for us in Africa, from impala to Buffalo if you need to.

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do 90% of all my hunting with a 338 win mag! Mostly shoot gemsbok these days in the kalahari and in my opinion it's the ultimate long range/knock down calibre there is for this sort of hunting. Decided to buy another 338 instead of a different calibre which i'll only use once or twice a year.
Reloading is illegal in Botswana b ut am entirely satisfied with 225gr Remington core-lokt rounds.

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do 90% of all my hunting with a 338 win mag! Mostly shoot gemsbok these days in the kalahari and in my opinion it's the ultimate long range/knock down calibre there is for this sort of hunting. Decided to buy another 338 instead of a different calibre which i'll only use once or twice a year.
Reloading is illegal in Botswana b ut am entirely satisfied with 225gr Remington core-lokt rounds.

Took a nice gemsbok a month ago approx. 200m in/out through both shoulders, with the 250gr Corelokts. Hardly any meat damage. Dropped her on the spot.

Have you made up your mind yet?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Model 70 Supergrade in 338 WinMag but have a Model 70 sporter mag. that I hunt with the most. Some of the hunting I do isn't too easy on the rifle so I use the Sporter Magnum and keep the Supergrade in the safe. The 338 Mag. is a magnificent cartridge. My 338 will be in the mountains again this fall!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my trips to Africa have been with a .338 WM. The first to Namibia in 2005 was with a Remington 700 BDL which shot 250 NPs great (took 5 animals). My second to Botswana this year was with a Ruger Hawkeye stainless/synthetic which also shot 250 NPs very well and took 8 animals - 6 dead on the spot. I liked the balance and fit of the Ruger. Could not ask for more!
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber of Oregon 7mm mag with a square bridge reciever. i love the gun. I almost bought a 338 just like it. It would be worthy of consideration. Mine is a very nice weapon!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is not meant to critisize your country's laws. Just curious why your country does not allow reloading?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun laws in Botswana are very strict at the moment. A few examples: No reloading, No handguns, No new .22 gun licenses being issued, No private sale of guns unless through a gun dealer and very limited gun licences available!

With regards to my choice of 338, its one of 2 choices, either a sako 85 or a custom job where the guy has a beautiful stock ready and a pre64 mod 70 action. Not sure though.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I would surf one of the regular gun sites, e.g., Guns America for a lightly used Sako AV in 338. There's a bunch out there. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a Tikka T-3 bought in conjunction with a hockey goalies (spelling?) mask.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote