THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What is the ideal mule deer rifle/caliber/bullet combination?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the ideal mule deer rifle/caliber/bullet combination?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the entire list given by Southpaw but I have taken Mulies with:

243 Md 70 Win/100gr Speer/Leupold 2x7
256 Newton / 139gr Hornady / peep sight
30-30 Savage bolt action/165gr Speer/peep sight
30-40 Krag/ 180gr Speer / peep sight
30-06 Ruger 77/ 165gr Speer / Leupold 3x9
35 Whelen/03Springfield/250gr Speer/peep sight

and lastly a 6" hunting knife

That is story unto itself!!

Fastest kills were with the Whelen

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about any deer rifle will work, but I'd go along with some of the others and take my .257 Weatherby with 100 TSX at 3600 plus from a case full of RL22. If there is a better long range deer and antelope rifle, my hands have never touched it. It's a lot like shooting an overgrown .220 Swift at deer, under 350 yards just shoot at it and touch the trigger.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the ideal mule deer rifle/caliber/bullet combination?

It's a little known secret that a very old cartridge works the best here but don't tell anyone. The 270 winchester with 130 grain bullets is still the best western deer cartridge ever devised and a lot of tries have been made to take it over and failed.

Find one in a model 70 and handload some Nosler Partitions for it.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Win, pick a model.
130gr bullets, pick a brand
thumb

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on what type of hunting. If I am going to stay close to the truck, a Model 70 in .300 winnie. If I gotta carry a rifle for a long ways up and down a mountain a Winchester Classic SA compact .308. Both shooting Nos Partitions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ideal MULIE rifle-which by the the way has killed my biggest is my 39 mod 70 300 H-H with a leupold 6x36 using 180 gr interlocks at 2950 fps-but my tang safety ruger 77 7x57 with a 4x leupold shooting 154 interlocks at 2800 fps works just as well.