THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Repost from gunsmithing: What to do w/ Sporterized Springfield?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repost from gunsmithing: What to do w/ Sporterized Springfield?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a repost from the gunsmithing forum:

Yesterday I purchased for $125 (plus $100 for a trade-in gun) a Springfield 1903A3. This gun has a butler creek stock, a Smith-Corona action, and a barrel with no markings that looks like it needs bluing. Obviously, I should take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out. But then what? I am nervous about a barrel that has no markings. Will the gunsmith be able to tell me if it is safe to shoot? I guess I could get it rebarreled. But then what caliber should I choose? I would like a gun that has mild recoil so I can go to the range and shoot 50 rounds. But also one I could take hunting deer in Washington or California. Right now I have a 300 Win that I think kicks a little to hard to shoot much for fun. I would love to hear your opinions of what to do and what caliber to rebarrel to if I take that option.

Thanks!
Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on what the barrel is chambered for now. Once we know that, we can come up with all sorts of options for you. There are some very creative people on this board. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the rifle is chambered for 30-06. I was able to chamber (gun on safe, pointed in safe direction) a loaded 30-06 cartridge, but was unable to chamber an empty 30-06 shell. (tight neck?)

Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
How many grooves in the barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a close look at the barrel last night. There are four grooves in the barrel. The grooves are not very prominent, so I am wondering if the barrel is worn out.

<Don Martin29>
posted
The 03A3's that I have seen had two groove barrels but who knows what's on there.

You could take the gun to a gun shop. They may be able to identify the cartridge if they are not busy.

Shallow lands does not mean the barrel is worn out. Many .30 caliber barrels go 10,000 shots and then respond to lapping.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a 30-06 and in decent shape, clean it up, put a decent scope on it and go hunting. Good rifle, useful cartridge, excellant combo. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The first year or so, 03A3's had 4-groove barrels. Since the grooves are only .004" deep, they may seem "faint". Have the headspace checked, then if OK, try it at the range. I had a nice one that I had rechambered for the .308 Norma, and used it extensively in Alaska in the '60's. It was accurute, a very smooth feeder, and the .308 Norma would beat 3100 FPS with 180-grain Nosler Partition Jacket bullets and H4831. But my "workhorse" load was the 200 grain NPJ at 2880.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sporterized springfield? it's JUNK..
email me for the address of the junkyard!!
just kidding, redo it in 338-06 and never look back
jeffe

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote