New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Kimber 270 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I picked my custom Kimber 270 Win from Bill Soverns today.

I am a very big fan of 270 Win. My Dad has shot one for close to 50 years. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through all the various 270's I have owned in the last 25 years. I have shot too many deer to count, elk, and antelope with this cartridge. I'm not saying it's the be all end all, but I like it. So the choice was very easy to make.

My goal was to create a well balanced, pointable rifle. The scope will align perfectly when the bases are done. I will be putting a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 on it.

Bill Soverns from here on AR did all the woodwork and rust blueing. I am extremely pleased with how this rifle turned out. It fits and feels great. Settles down real nice and balances right on the front action screw. It weighs 7 lbs as it sits in the pics.

The California English blank was from Dressel's.
Sharon did a great job helping me pick a blank.

This was my first custom gun. Bill and Gunmaker did a great job of working me through it.

Gunmaker from here on AR:
- went through the action
- recontoured, cut and chambered the replacement barrel sent by Kimber. The original barrel chamber was out of round and had chatter marks. Kimber replaced the barrel with no problem and I just asked them to send a replacement barrel so Jim could rechamber and thread.
- replaced the bolt with a Talley
- building dual dovetail bases (should be done in the next couple of days)

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very clean!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do like the wood

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
SD, that is one fine looking rifle! My second favorite caliber too thumb Take good care of it and it'll provide a lifetime of fond memories.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
There's a rifle that will never go out of style. Nice work all the way around. I imagine you'll get some use out of that one.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. And DD bases huh? I could go for a set of those for my .300 WSM.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with DD bases so I could get the scope height correct.

I am having custom bases made so they will blend with the whole package. Going for a square bridge look without the square bridge.

I tried Talley's but they were just a little too high.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I do believe I'm in love.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and one of my favorite calibers to hunt with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the stock Duplicated on a Honig from the kimber patern with some refinements done to it?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
No. I modified one of my pattern stocks. Then turned the blank.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle. I really like long action Kimbers and wish they came in select grade wood - the Classic is a bit plain, and the Superamerica is a bit pricey.

I have a hard time telling in the pictures - is the metalwork stock or did you refinish? If it's stock, is it the gloss finish Superamerica or the matte Classic?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle was rust blued by Bill Soverns.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
The metal was polished out to 320 grit with sanding blocks and wet/dry paper and then blasted with very fine aluminum oxide grit.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote