Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on what to do with a P17
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I have a 9.3x64 that I inherited built on, what I believe is, a p17 action (based upon, most notably, the symbol on the side of the action that looks like a circle with a wing).

The rifle was built many years ago and the stock has a large crack in it. I was thinking of just having a new stock built, but then I thought maybe I should have a new barrel put on (the old barrel is 26" and has the previous owners name engraved - which I would keep). Then I could put new sights on and such that are more to my liking. I pondered the idea a little more and started contemplating turning it into a 500 Jeffery, just like the previous owners 500 Jeffery built on a Remington 30S action. Now I'm stuck between preserving the original rifle (yet it will remain a safe queen) or making it into a classic styled hunting rifle.

Question:
I need some advice on what to do with this rifle. Here's my options (and bear in mind I own a 375, but nothing larger):

Choices:
Leave it as is.
Restock it only.
Restock and put a new 9.3x64 barrel on it.
Rechamber to 500 Jeffery
Other

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Seeing as this is the 'Big Bores' forum, and 9.3s belong in 'Medium Bores', I voted for a re-barrel to .500 Jeffery. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall right the Rem 30 was the Remmy p14/m17 action, left over and used for commercial production rifles. I believe they put a straight bolt handle on it for the model 720. So if you have any knowledge of a Rem 30 in Jeffy, you are about there except for paying the bills. LUCK.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I voted other. If it was my choice I would go for the .404 Jeff., one of the .416's, or .458 Lott. I have to confess I am in kind of the same dilema. I am setting here with a P-17 that I got for making into a big bore & haven't gotten around to it yet.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Guys, it is a M 1917. The Brits used the P.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. I know this is the big bore forum . but a 285 gr bullet @ 2650 -2700 fps using only 75 gr 4350 powder is an easy shooting , very user friendly load ... Defiantly not safe queen material >>>>>..!! Find another 1917 or P14 and make up a 416 Remington ............Pretty good battery ....

.. My 9.3x64 is the easiest shooting serious caliber rifle I have ever shot .... So much less Blast and Buck than my 375 Ruger ,which is pushing a 270 gr bullet @ 2725 -50 fps ..

Craig Boddington stated in his article on the 370 Sako Mag . that the recoil was surprisingly mild . .. I can,t explain it but that is my experience with my 64 ......Maybe a 404 Jeffreys would be nice in a 17 Enfield , but I,ve had one built in the 416 Remington and one in the 416 Taylor . So to me the 416 is the caliber . Or a 500 Mbogo ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
other:

No pictures, hard to tell.

My nostalgic bent is to preserve; repair,if possible,or re- fit, re-stock, particularly if the "name on the barrel" means enough to you that you were going to "keep' it for the barrel's namesake.

There are plenty of other actions around to build on, sounds like this one is "family" and should be preserve as an intact unit ,if possible.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
How about the Texas A&M 505-06? To my knowledge only one was ever built.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Hmm, results seem to say to keep it a 9.3x64 - which is what I think I'm going to do. I think if I'm going to go through the trouble of making it into a 500 Jeffery I might as well spend a few more bucks and just get another action.

I guess now I need to find a replacement stock for it so I can take it hunting. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of her.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Where is the crack? Many can be repaired.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Where is the crack? Many can be repaired.

I'd like to put a new stock on it regardless. I need a longer LOP and an ebony forend tip would be nice. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
. I know this is the big bore forum . but a 285 gr bullet @ 2650 -2700 fps using only 75 gr 4350 powder is an easy shooting , very user friendly load ... Defiantly not safe queen material >>>>>..!! Find another 1917 or P14 and make up a 416 Remington ............Pretty good battery ....

Or better yet buy Crushers .416 Rem in the classifieds or the action already reworked to handle .416 Rigby. If I had the cash laying around that is what I'd do. Or maybe that .458 Lott scout he has. You would be hard pressed to build a rifle as nice as what Crusher is selling for the money. I vote to keep it a 9.3 as well, just restock it!

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
taylorce1 I like how you think.

if you buy one of my big bores I will throw in a used stock for this rifle free. if you are looking to get into a set of these we can work something out.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yes Crusher has some Very Nice rifles . The one that has the action opened up to 416 Rigby would be great for the 500 AR or 500 Mbogo ... Or the 500 A-Sq..
. I would sure like to get that 416 Rem of Crushers , but the bucks arn,t rollin in at the moment ..

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Yes Crusher has some Very Nice rifles . . I would sure like to get that 416 Rem of Crushers , but the bucks arn,t rollin in at the moment ..

Know how you feel! Don't know what I'd use one of those big bores for but it sure would be fun!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Guys, I appreciate the input. I went ahead and bought a stock from Great American Gunstocks (nothing personal Crusher Wink ). I really enjoy refinishing stocks, so this will give me a fun project to work on. Here's the new stock: http://www.gunstocks.com/galle...n.php?g2_itemId=5641

I guess you can mark me down as another member of the 9.3 club. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in your observations once you put the rifle bac to work . In the differences / similarities between the 9.3x64 B and the 375 H&H as far as chronographed velocities and precieved recoil ... are you going to cross bolt the new stock ... Where are the cracks in the old stock ??

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I'll do internal crossbolts on the new stock as well as an ebony forend tip and grip cap. Do you guys think an internal crossbolt forward of the front action screw and in between the front action screw and magazine should be enough?

The crack on the original stock runs from the front of the ejection port about 2 inches down the forarm. It's repairable, and when I took the rifle apart it appeared to have some glass bed in it. Still, the old stock just doesn't fit me right, so I want one more to my liking.

I'll be more than happy to give my perception on recoil and velocities and such. Not sure it will be too scientific though. My 375 is 9.5 pounds with a 25" barrel while this girl I'm hoping to keep a bit lighter (maybe 8.5 pounds or so) and she has a 28" barrel (I was estimating before).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have the handle straightened out and the boltface ang rails opened up and rebarrel it to a.416 Rigby.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I'm thinking I'll do internal crossbolts on the new stock as well as an ebony forend tip and grip cap. Do you guys think an internal crossbolt forward of the front action screw and in between the front action screw and magazine should be enough?

The crack on the original stock runs from the front of the ejection port about 2 inches down the forarm. It's repairable, and when I took the rifle apart it appeared to have some glass bed in it. Still, the old stock just doesn't fit me right, so I want one more to my liking.

I'll be more than happy to give my perception on recoil and velocities and such. Not sure it will be too scientific though. My 375 is 9.5 pounds with a 25" barrel while this girl I'm hoping to keep a bit lighter (maybe 8.5 pounds or so) and she has a 28" barrel (I was estimating before).
,. Thats a long barrel ... While I,m not getting every foot second of speed possible by using a 21 + " barrel . I am getting All I was after .. A perfect medium bore , On the large side @ that ......But very easy shooting ....If you stay with the 28" barrel you will maybe get 100 fps more than I am .......

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd restock with a classic design and put on improved sights.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Interesting ideas. I have a sporterized M1917 that I've been thinking about making into a .404 Jeff. Good to see what others are doing with theirs. Cool

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote