THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    200 Accubond 338-06 on Elk (pics added)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 Accubond 338-06 on Elk (pics added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I just return from Craig, Colorado with my bull not a giant by any stretch but probably average 5X6 in that area.The shots were at 240-250 with my rifle pushing them at 2800 fps. My first shot was too far forward hitting him in the front of the left chest missing the on side leg and breaking his right leg he turned through the oakbrush. The next took him high behind the right shoulder and exited through the ribs at the shot he looked like a balloon that had the air let out of him. Exit hole was about 3/4" in Dia. He never moved from there. I'm very happy with the performance of these Accubonds. Hope all of you enjoyed your hunting as well.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You gotta picture of that to go with the story?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
glad to hear of your success and with the accubonds-good job! Your smoking them @2800fps - wow!

my succcess was with the 225 NF @2501fps approx.70yds.-perfect mushroom. 57" Ak. bull moose this fall.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your smoking them @2800fps - wow!

+1!!!

What load are you using to get them going that fast?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I was using a Hornady book load of 54.3 gr of IMR4064. Nosler loads 55.5 for the 200 BT so I don't think it's a max load except in my rifle.I do have pics but don't know how to post them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been dying to use my .338-06 on an elk. I've had mine about 3 years now and haven't got on elk. I have no doubts that it will be a stellar performer on any elk.

PM me and I'll help you post pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations from another .338-06 fan. I use the 225 NP's at 2500 or so. Mine has NEVER failed me. Here in NA or over in RSA on plains game.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what I have come to expect when using my 338-06 on elk.

I prefer the 210gr TSX's, but have used some Nosler's also.

It looks like the AB's will do the job also.

Congratulations on the fine experience.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well done Rob! The 338-06 may just be the perfect 300yd elk rifle. stir

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Here's a interesting note for 338-06 fans. Cooper Rifles is chambering their Model 52 action in this round.So t looks like I'll have another rifle this summer

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I saw that last night, sucks you cannot have 5 rounds in gun, but should only need one, but the non magnum in other guns would allow 5 vs 3 or 4 in gun, never any harm in that.

The 52 looks like a nice rifle. Price reflects it, but nice to see an offering in a tried/true no nonsense caliber you can form brass cheap and have great performance.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Shot a deer a couple of weeks ago with my 338/06 pushing Nosler 200gr ballistic tips at an honest 2800fps. Distance was about 60 yards. Neck shot. Intrance wound was about 6" diameter & exit was bullet diameter. I need to use a less destructive bullet or throttle it back a bit.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
DHum, just switch to the 200grNAB inst thumbead.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
"DHum, just switch to the 200grNAB instead"

Thanks for the advice. I was considering that. I don't like throttling back.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Last years Bull here in Oklahoma, just a baby in this area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you got the picture thing figured out. Nice pictures, Nice bulls! Thanks for sharing the load data on the .338-06.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Great success story there Rob!
Congrats on your good fortune...

Hornady's Reload manual lists 200 grain loads at 2900 with Varget and RL 15...

I didn't achieve it with RL 15 load, but did with the Varget load...

65 grains of H 380 with a 200 grain bullet is a pretty fast load also...but work up if you try it..

not an often thought of powder for the 338/06, but it has done excellent results in mine, for both velocity and accuracy...

now if the elk would just cooperate....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote