THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Help wanted: Suggest a Cart for L.A. Model 70

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help wanted: Suggest a Cart for L.A. Model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Hello friends,

I'd like to know your thoughts about which cartridge to drop into a beautiful HS precision stock (Long action model 70 - post 64). The stock has a generous barrel channel.

I already have a very nice .270 WCF featherweight, which is my primary rifle. I've shot deer & moose with it, and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk either. I'm proficient with it to about 300 yards.

Part of my thinking is this:

1. I have two young children who demonstrate an interest in hunting & shooting. I'd like to prepare for the day when all 3 of us can hunt together - deer, elk, moose.

2. I'd like a little more gun than my .270 for elk/moose on those trips when I might not have the kids with me.

3. I'd like to keep costs down, and since I already have the stock (it fits me perfectly with a 13 1/2" l.o.p.), it has to be a post-64 model 70. Again, the channel is large, and I want to avoid a featherweight barrel.

4. I'm in good shape and relatively young, and I don't mind carrying a rifle in the 8-9 lb. range. I think I tolerate recoil well, but don't have much experience with the really big boys. I'm not afraid to get pushed around by a bigger cart.

p.s. I had the stock made for a push-feed action; I think a newer CRF action should still fit (from what folks have told me). Is this your understanding too?

Thanks for your help!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Deer, elk, and Moose WHERE? The kind of terrain you envision hunting may be as important as what you are going to hunt.

Lots of cartridges will do, but for your use only (not your kids at this point) my immediate reaction without allowing for the terrain would be to suggest your choice of either a .300 Win Mag or a .338 Win Mag. Both are definite steps up from a .270, but neither has severe recoil. Both will also handle ANY North American game with style.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.30/06 Springfield.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go along with Alberta Canuck with one exception, anything up from a .30-06 the natural step would be a .338 WM. Personally, I've never had much use for a .300WM.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobra:
I'd have to go along with Alberta Canuck with one exception, anything up from a .30-06 the natural step would be a .338 WM. Personally, I've never had much use for a .300WM.

I agree with you about the step up from an '06, Cobra. I must have misread his post. I don't think he HAS an '06...I think he has a .270 Winchester, and a .300 WM would be a definite step up from that.

I would prefer a .338 WM too, but then I have nine '06s in the vault now (and four different .300 Mags...as well as a .338 WM.)

Anyway, obviously you and I see eye-to-eye on cartridges and country. I really liked that Little Smokey bush country.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag.
If you reload you can always load it down a little for local deer hunting with the kids.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - that's sort of what I was thinking, a .338 mag or a .300. I've been watching gun broker and there are some good deals to be had, especially if one can be patient.

Right now I've got some bills coming associated wiht a new dog we got this spring, and so I've used up all my "Kitchen-passes" with the Missus. Probably will get a start on this after deer season or in the new year.

Thanks!

Oh, as for terrain, it's open country in Nebraska for deer hunting; as for elk & moose - probably what you'd imagine. For myself, 300 yards is my comfortable limit. With lots of practice, I might push that to 400 with ideal conditions.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand there are lots of elk now in the Pierre SD area and a bit west from there. Have they been re-introduced over in Nebraska too?

That is why I asked about terrain. You can get long shots in those areas, otherwise there are other cartridges which would do fine for animals up through moose at short ranges and don't hardly recoil at all with factory loads...like 45-70s for example.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to throw the 338-06 in the mix.It has proven to me very accurate out to 500m.Brass is easily made,very good bullet selection,not to particular about powder.Lower recoil,no belt on the case for better feeding.Cheaper to feed than magnum stuff with nearly close to the same ballistics.

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote