New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 in a stalking rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks I got a question. I found this little rifle I really want. It is a Merkle K1. It is a single shot and only weighs 5 1/2 pounds. Is this going to kick in 308 pretty hard. I have part of my sholder removed as of last fall and cannot stand too much kick. I want a gun that would take an elk if need be. Also comes in 270, 243, 30 blauser and 300 mag [which I have better sense than to shoot]. Can yall please advise? Thanks.
jerry fisk

Posts: 33 | Location: Arkansas USA | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Yes i would say she should smack pretty good, i shoot a savage 99-c scoped, and it weigh's more, and it has a bit of kick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the .308 gets to be a pretty sharp kicker when you get down to around 7 lbs. At 5.5 it will kick not only harder, but much faster.
I can recall an article in Gun Tests magazine where the chief tester shot the then new 7 lb. Steyr Scout. The testing said it kicked like a .300 Magnum.
No "improved stock/recoil pad" is going to help you much at that point. I suggest you consider an 8-9 lb. rifle in the .308. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eremicus:
I can recall an article in Gun Tests magazine where the chief tester shot the then new 7 lb. Steyr Scout. The testing said it kicked like a .300 Magnum.
No "improved stock/recoil pad" is going to help you much at that point. I suggest you consider an 8-9 lb. rifle in the .308. E

The Gun Tests reviewer's recoil evaluation was an anomaly. I know of no other person firing the .308 Steyr Scout who thought the recoil was bad, and many who thought it was less than with guns of comparable weight due to its ergonomics.

The .308 in the K1 should be rather brisk. Too bad they don't offer it in .260 Rem or 6.5x55. You're probably better off with the .270.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr 1912 custom Mauser in .308 Win. built by the Harry lawson company in Tucson. The rifle, with scope, sling and a full magzine weighs just five pounds. Recoil with Lawson's thumbhole stock and a good recoil pad is not all that bad, even from the bench.
I suppose you could add a muzzle brake, although, personally, I'd rather take the kick than the blast.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fisk, I shoot a Remington Model 7 quite a bit and do not find the recoil painful. Especially if I use a tight hasty sling, something that you can't do if the sling is on a bbl band. If you get the rifle shoot it off the bench and in practice with a PAST or similar pad that you wear. When you hunt you will never feel the recoil. This is assuming your shoulder injury is not too bad. If it is get a muzzle break, I don't like them but If I had a bad shoulder I would use one. PS a light weight 300 Wby Mag with KDF muzzle break kicks less than a mod 7 in 308 without. Owned both, shot side by side, my buddy shot both of them and he could not believe it. Even the K1 with a break, and ear protection, would probably be OK, but there is nothing wrong with a 308 for Elk.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
To my taste, putting a muzzle brake on a classically-styled break-action stalking rifle like the K1 is an abomination. But to each his own.

I just checked the GSI web site to confirm the cartridge selection for the K1 and it's broader than originally stated: .222 Rem, 5.6x50 RM, 5.6x52 R., 243 Win, 6.5x57 R, 6.5x65 R, .270 Win, 7x57 R., 7x65 R, 308 Win, 30-06, .30 R Blaser, 7mm Rem. Mag, .300 Win Mag., 8x57 IRS, 8x75 RS, 9.3x74 R. (It must be quite a handful in 9.3x74R!)

For something elk-capable with relatively low recoil, it would seem the choices start with the 6.5x57R and end with the .308 Win. In any of them I would choose heavy-for-caliber bullets at modest velocities to slow down the recoil impulse, and accept the fact that I can't take "across the canyon" shots on game.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, things are never simple. the 308 is not only a bit heavy for a 5 1/2 pound rifle, it is a rimless round (read: Poor chooice for break-action). I have been talking to GSI about these K1 rifles too. there are 7X57R calibers available already in the USA. also 9.3X74R. but these will be heavier than the weights for the lightest barrel sets. also, with the scope and a sling mounted, they will push or break 6 pounds I am sure.

Regarding muzzle brakes? You would hear the elk vomit from disgust at being pointed at with such a disgraceful disfiguring of even a modern Merkel.

Ask me what I really think...

Go for the rimmed cartridges in kipplaufbuchse.
The 30R Blaser is the equivalent of a 7 mm rem mag in a 30 caliber rimmed cartridge. The barrels will be heavier than the 308. the ammo is not available in the USA yet, and is not what I would choose to take on, but for elk, it should be a perfect choice ballistically, for the reloader who wants a rimmed magnum round. It is not for me, I will take a 7X65R or a 9.3X74R.

By the way, GSI has had a two barrel package for a good price, unfortunately, none of their offered rifles had two rimmed rounds, only one unrimmed, and the 30R Blaser. Not my ideal choices.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jameister:

Go for the rimmed cartridges in kipplaufbuchse.
The 30R Blaser is the equivalent of a 7 mm rem mag in a 30 caliber rimmed cartridge. The barrels will be heavier than the 308. the ammo is not available in the USA yet, and is not what I would choose to take on, but for elk, it should be a perfect choice ballistically, for the reloader who wants a rimmed magnum round. It is not for me, I will take a 7X65R or a 9.3X74R.

By the way, GSI has had a two barrel package for a good price, unfortunately, none of their offered rifles had two rimmed rounds, only one unrimmed, and the 30R Blaser. Not my ideal choices.

A very good suggestion. Break top rifles shall be camberd for rimmed rounds. Couldn't made a better advice my self [Eek!]
/ JOHAN