one of us
posted
Quote:

Lawcop: can you share lour loads for the 340 with us? thanks. jorge

HERE GOES...
All cases Wby cases trimmed to length
all primers are 215 Fed mag primers

FOr my Sako that doesn't like heavy bullets
86gr 4350 powder with Nosler 210 partitions.
chronos at ave. of 3175

for my Weatherby rifle
EXTREME long range accuracy load is a
250gr Gameking with 85gr of 4831. Chronos at 2950 with ES of 8 fps. This is the load that prints 8-9" at 1000yds.

for the 300gr Matchkings - 95gr of W872. Vibrate the case/powder before seating bullet. I take a small rod and tap the side of the case several times to settle the powder. (BELIEVE ME, it DOES make a difference.) It chronos 2530fps.

Been playing with the 225gr NorthFork and it seems to like 84gr of 4350. 3045fps and has been shooting clover leaf groups regularly.

IF you are a Shepherd P1 user
250gr GameKing
83gr of 4831
will give an almost perfect profile to the scope reticle out to 1000yds. 2830fps.

Have tried different Vithivouri powders and got wildly extreme spreads although at 100yds it didn't seem to make much difference.

Have pretty much standardized on the 4350 and 4831 powders for all my .340 loading now.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had both the 30-378 which is gone now, cause of throat errosion and 7Stw in the Wby Accumark. You will not have to do any up grading on the stock. Was lucky last Feb to pick up a 300Wby in a Rem-Sendero-sst,syn,flutted that a guy could not sell cause of the 300RUM out burst. I wish the Sendero had the Wby like stock, and was not so straight and it comes with out the check piece. Got the Sendero for the price mostly $599. and the 300RUM which I would not have any way cause of the rebated rim was $830. Although the Rem-stock is a very fine stiff stock better than any Bell and Carlson. The Wby has a HS precision stock and a pachmyar kick pad. All Wby's were as accurate as could be. They also have a fine trigger, and the kick is straight and does not twist like some stocks will do.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375,
The Sako recoil lug leaves something to be desired, especially when compared to the original integral lug, but they are not difficult to bed. I pillar bedded my Sako into a McMillan sporter, but simply ran the front pillar through the recoil lug and bedded them both into the stock. It works great.

As for the Sako scope mounting dovetail rails, I like the system. Mine came from the factory straight as a string. The dovetails are set up so that recoil actually tightens the rings' grip on the rail. That system eliminates one more item that can loosen over time. The Sako system also allows for lower scope mountng.

Overall, the Sako recoil lug and integral scope rails are different, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SST,

The problem with the dovetails is that they are tapered.. The theory that they tighten as the rifle is being fired is negated by the little recoil stop slot in the rear dovetail. If you don't utilise the recoil stop then you can see you don't have a good system with the tapers when each side of the base is a screw clamp affair as opposed to being solid. But then if the bases have solid bottoms and the recoil stop is not used then you can't just drop the bases off.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote