New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goldenrod safe heaters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to buy a couple Goldenrod heaters for my cabinets in my unheated garage. Do they operate on a thermostat, or are they constantly energized?

Do they work well?

It seems like a good way to prevent condensation during quick temperature changes like this week.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work all the time. My safe has been in the garage for 12 years and I have not had any rust problems.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a Golden Rod in a safe in my garage that has been functioning for 32 years now. No condensation or rust ever. Don't waste money on a dessicant.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's different brand names and different sizes. Buy the size recommended for your safe dimensions. Yes, its on 24\7. I use an 18" model for my walk-in gun vault. It must be working as I've never had condensation or rust problems. I probably could unplug it for the winter when relative humidity is pretty low but I just leave it on all the time. What's a few pennies worth of electricity?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
They work !!!

I have one in my safe thats in my shop it's insulated but no heat or air. The information on the package states that the heat that it produces keeps the safe tempeature a couple degrees warmer to force humitiy out of the safe. I have a thermomater in my safe and it reads the same ALWAYS as the one on the wall next to the safe I have swaped them and still the same reading.....how it works I don't care. I am just glad to have one. They WORK !!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have one - and while I can't say if it works or not, I CAN say that none of my firearms have rust on them!

(PS: edited to add - I have some friends who have nice rusty firearms and don't have a G-Rod. Sadly, they are proud of the rust!)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Golden Rods.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
++1 Yes they work, we have them in two safes and I keep a thermometer/humidistat in each. Temperature stays about 10 degrees below ambient and humidity always under 50%. Cheap investment in terms of initial cost and electricity used and they mount easily in the floor of the safe out of the way. Got mine from Midway about two years ago, size it accordingly

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I have two safes & have used a golden rod in each one for the last ten years and have had no problem with rust or condensation.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, been running one for 25 years now. It's not really humid here, but close enough to the beach to get some in the garage.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one in conjuction with sack-ups on all my irreplaceable investment guns.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've only had mine for 19 years so I'm not sure if it will work forever, but I think it might. On all the time and no worries.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has been running continuously for 28 years. No rust - ever.