New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO FINNLIGHT IN .270?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have got one of these things at the store and i am drooling over it, how bad will the 20" barrel hurt velocity, how will a sako shoot? it really is a nice looking rifle, or should i go with one in .308?

<leo>
posted
A 20" barrel is sure better suited for a 308.

one of us
posted Hide Post
fats I agree with leo. I have used a 20, and an 18 inch 308 quite a bit. They shoot plenty good to 300+ yards on game. I have shot them on paper a lot out to 600yds with no problems. But if you are a 270 fan go for it, 20 vs 22 inches big deal, [Roll Eyes] just step 2 steps closer before you shoot. [Wink]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah i have had a 20" .308 semi custom built on a remington 700 but i keep looking at these sakos are they that great of shooters

posted Hide Post
Fats, If it's the right price, buy it. I have a Remington 700 S/S which I cut the barrel back to 20.5 inches for mountain/woods hunting. I can still get over 3000 fps using RL-22 powder and just about any 130 grain bullet. The rifle is great to carry and I believe the accuracy actually improved after the barrel was cut back. BEN243

Posts: 32 | Location: EAST COAST | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fats the Sako Finnlight is a nice piece. I've been tempted big time several times.

Now for the loss of speed with the 20" tube. Standard length tube for a 270 is 22". From the tests I've done I've found that 30 fps per inch of tube cut is about normal. So you're most likely gonna lose about 60 fps-Oh wowsa big deal! You'll find more than that between tubes with teh fast ones and the slow ones.

So if you like it, buy it and forget about all the rest of the crap.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks mark and ben243 i was also thinking about maybe even going with a .243 who knows at the gun store i work at everyone has this magnum concept i think i will stick to my guns and prove them wrong,

mark, next time i run across a scope i will send you first shot at it!