THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Hard Question! Almost like LGBTQ issues....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Question! Almost like LGBTQ issues....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I couldn't. To be fortunate enough to own one of Al's personal guns is priceless.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I couldn't. To be fortunate enough to own one of Al's personal guns is priceless.

Fully agree, but my fingers forced me to ask....

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
DC - That is how some deals are found. Talk, ask.

The only rifle I have that I might even consider selling is a Gew98 in .270W with a heavy Douglas barrel that I re-stocked. Low Bueller safety, flat aluminum bottom metal. Nothing way fancy. But, in this market, retail might only be $1200 to 1500-ish. Not enough to let it go. Great shooter.

I have a unfired by me NEW IN BOX M70 super grade in .308W with some dandy wood and a virtually new Ruger 77 Mark II in .308W that's only been to the range twice and hunted once in the factory box. Got that one for the Wife and she had no interest. So it sat in the closet for about 20 years. But I'm waiting for those to get closer to $2,000 before I let either one of those go.

CB

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB - I am lusting after your super grade. See your pm.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crackerman
posted Hide Post
Efficiency is not that sexy but its a trap we all fall into.

I have a prefectly servicable Tikka T3 in .30-06 that my 11 year old son shoots just fine but bought a CZ600 lux in .30-06 because its a very pretty "baby safari" rifle for me and I had ammo for it. Logic is not needed. Same reason I am putting together my Bergara 6.5 PRC for my Wyoming antelope hunt in 2025. I don't need it, but I want it.

I have 1 .308 also and its my 600 yard precision match gun. Runs great and if I wanted to hump a 5 kilo rifle around I could take it.

Posts: 32 | Location: New Hampshire  | Registered: 03 November 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need it, but I want it.

That is why many of us have far more firearms then we need.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I only wish I had bought the other one he had for sale - a .243. Aren't many out there for sale N.I.B. for some reason.
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
CB - I am lusting after your super grade. See your pm.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Of course. Their paychecks would be tiny if they told the truth - that is the 6.5CM is a .260 Rem. with somewhat wider shoulders. But, I got caught up on the hype and had my first full custom chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The thrill is long gone.
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Published comparisons have made it very clear that the CM kills game deader than the 308.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
It’s a gun nut problem.

This.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
About 7 years ago, I thought to buy a new rifle. It was going to be a loaner gun for my dad when we go out hunting. My dad is notoriously hard on things. He was around 74 years old at the time - a very healthy 74 years old I might add. There’s zero quit in my family line…

I thought long and hard abut this. Living in Kalifornia at the time, I knew I could buy it but probably not be able to just “gift it to him”. So this rifle was going to live in my safe…probably forever. It just needed to perform. The rest didn’t matter.

After much thought, I settled on a 700 SPS…Hogue overmolded stock…rough black cerokote finish or something like that…I slapped a Leupold Patrol 3-9 illuminated scope on it in some Talley lightweights…the rifle looked like it could take a hit or two.

I sighted it in at 100 and it put 3 rounds of Federal Blue Box 150’s into 3/4”. It was the cheapest ammo I could find.

I remember the morning well. It was chilly in Texas Hill Country. The truck had been idling for 15 minutes to warm up. We all piled in, headed off to the blinds. The first blind was my dad, who piled out of his truck, grabbed is bag and proceeded to use the rifle as a cane. Holding the barrel in the dark, he plunged the butt into the ground as he sleep staggered to the blind. Upon reaching the blind (a thud from the buttstock told him he found the first step), he took a stair step…and thrust the butt forward, banging solidly against the next step. And so it went…THUMP…step…THUMP…step…THUMP…step…the buttstock being used to bang against the next step each time.

That poor rifle stood his abuse for a week while I simply grit my teeth as his son.

“There’s Heavy Duty…Then there’s Mil-Spec. I think we are witnessing something redefining…Bob-Spec” said my friend John. A Marine…retired, if that remotely exists.

That rifle is now called “The Crutch”.

No, the rifle didn’t go off as he climbed the steps. He shot his best buck with that rifle. Since then, my younger Brother has shot not only his best Buck, but the best damn Buck in the family with it. In fact, that cheap, abused loaner rifle has delivered deer in five different sets of hands.

And that cheap, abused rifle, now topped with a Trijicon 4-24 scope, sporting a Timney trigger and a Q Thunder Chicken suppressor groups a verified 2.5” at 600 yards.

Shitty cartridge that .308.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
The 308 is the 6.5 Creedmoor without the man-bun :-)

rotflmo

Good one JB!

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Ross, nothing wrong with the 308...a great do-everything cartridge. It tends to be accurate, plenty of terminal power and great ammunition availability. Think of it as the "real man's" Creedmore :-)

OK, while I’ve never used a .308, I suddenly love the chambering just because Biebs RE-named it perfectly. The REAL MAN’s creedmore.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few 308 before but currently don't. I have several 30-06 and I reload, so I have always felt that if I want 308 performance for some reason, I just stick with a starting load in one of my 30-06s.
Probably flawed reasoning, but I've been guilty of that before.