Find
Notify
Tools

.300 H&H loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
I have been out to the range quite often lately shooting my .300 H&H. The handloads I have using are comprised of 4350 and 180 grs Stewart Solid and 180 grs Ballistic tip. The accuacy is not up to par as compared to shooting the Federal Premium ammunition at 100 yds. The best groups have been with factory loaded fail Safes and hover around 3/4 to 1/2". What powder should I try next. I am looking for cosistent accuracy with 180 grs bullets and magnum primers.

It is not me either my .300 Blaser cuts a ragged hole at 100 yds with my handloads. The scope on the .300 is new the crown is perfect, any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try H-4831, that has been the best performer for my 300 H&H Win. pre 64 M-70...about 70 to 73 grs. in my gun...work up to that with yours.

RL-19 shows some promise also.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Pre-64 Winchester 300H&H just loves the 220 grain Nosler Partitions and consistently shoots them into one big hole at 100 yards (just over 2,700 fps).

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried some reloader 19 in mine today and as Ray said it "shows some promise". More so than the reloader 22 rounds I shot last week, 69.5gr at 2845fps with the 165gr SST.
Today I was shooting the 165gr Hornady SST over 70.5gr of reloader 19. 10 shot avg. 3008fps and thats out of my 24" barrel.

Accuracy? Well, lets just say I didn't do my part.
I had a few 1/2" to 3/4" groups going and would pull a shot. Or I'd have an 1 1/2" 2 shot group and the 3 shot would almost touch the frist.

O'well I'll be back next week with some more Rel-19 rounds and see if I can do better.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Accuracy wise the .300 H&H is just like all the others. I am shooting 165 Sierra SBT's and also 165 Remington Corelokts with 4831 powder and 215's.

Some Winchester 180 gr Silver Tip's that came with the rifle scatter all over the place.

Try other bullets. That's the most important thing. But if Sierras won't shoot it's the rifle or scope.

<Lars H>
posted
After lots of interesting reading at the forums I feel that my experience might do some good so I will go ahead try this posting business.

For the last 20 years I have had the great pleasure to shoot and own a couple of .300 H&H Magnums. The first a nice Sako built on an FN 98 action. The second one was a Winchester 70 push feed (ugly gun but shot 1/4" groups all day). My current .300 H&H is a nice semi custom Winchester pre 64, new stock original barrel.
I have also been fortunate enough to have an original Holland & Holland .30 Super on loan for a while, will most likely buy that rifle since it diturbs my sleep not knowing It�s mine to keep.

I have always had best results with Norma MRP and Federal LRMP. My max loads have been in the region of 72-76 grains using a 165 grain bullet. This load gives an MV of roughly 3150 f/s. That speed and a Barnes X has served me perfectly, it even helped me taking a 57, 5" Kudu.
I have never had any greater success with faster powders for the lighter bullets. They have never given acceptable accuracy or speed.