THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Who likes the over .30cal. Ballistic Tips?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who likes the over .30cal. Ballistic Tips?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I have been using the 200gr. .338 BT's for a while now for varmints and paper as a light load but after recovering some from the backstop and seeing the damage ( minninal explosive results )on 25-40 lb. critters I have started to consider them for my hunting load. I mostly hunt Black Bear and am worried that they won't penetrate completely which is nice if he runs any distance so tracking is easier. Most people I've talked to seldom recover one, but none have mentioned bear. [Cool]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi NBHunter. I tested 180 Nosler Ballistic Tips on very soaking wet phone books a few months ago. My loads ran at 3000 fps. At 50 yards the core and jacket separated but the jacket continued to penetrate to the same distance through the phone books as the same loads shot at 100 and 200 yards. This is unusual as normal bullets stop penetrating as soon as the core leaves. However, at 100 they retained 72% bullet weight and at 200 yards they retained 74% bullet weight. They had perfect classic mushrooms. From my experience with other calibers this will result in good results in deer and sheep and I wouldn't be afraid of using them on game this size. The 200 grain BT's should do even better due to the longer shank length, however, they won't shoot consistently in my rifle. I would go ahead and use them without any concern. Good luck, Steve

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My partner drove a 200 gr .338 ballistic tip through a moose last fall and it did exit.I have taken two elk and two moose myself with the 180 gr.308 ballistic tip and three out of four bullets exited.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
I spoke to Chub Eastman @ the REMF show about the 338 Btips. He said that they are significantly tougher than the 180 gr. 30 caliber. I was asking for a recomendation for an all around bullet for a 338-08 and he picked the 180 or 200 BT even for elk sized animals. Naturally, I have slower muzzle speeds than a 338 WM but I'd still be confident on Black Bear even with magnum velocities.

JimF

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
The ones I recovered from the backstop at 100 yards retained 55% after hitting the packed dirt, which impressed me as the impact had folded it very far back and it held what was left of the core in the jacket. As comparison at the same shoot there were several 250gr. hornadys recovered ( only doing 2600 fps) and only one held any lead core to speak of and the BTs out weighed the 250's that were recovered. Can't help but think they'd do better on flesh and bone.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 180BT in a .308 magnum and the 250BT in the 9.3x62. My experience with the 180 on Gemsbok was less than pleasing. For tough game, it isn't tough enough. I believe it is a terrific deer load. I shot a bushbuck (deer sized animal) at 10 paces in Africa. The exit wound was no greater than the entrance wound. I am told that this round was developed for Elk. I think it is stout enough. Ku-dude

<JOHAN>
posted
HI

I think that the 200 BT in 338 would work fine for blackbear.

I know people that have used then for American moose and Wild boars in Sweden. The calibers have been 338 and 9,3. The BT's in the larger calibers are not varmint bullets and has a thicker jacket.

Black bears does not wear kevlar or have reactive armour [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I like the 180 grain BT in 30 cal for most hunting even with a magnum. It's worth a trial [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 08-27-2002, 20:48: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 200 gr NBT in 338WM on several Whitetail deer. I never recovered one (bullet), and thought that they worked very well. One of, if not the most accurate bullet that I tried, and it remained intact when fired into wet newsprint at point-blank range (perfect mushroom). Never hunted black bear, but would not hesitate to use it if that's what I had.

Good huntin', Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
I shoot the 225 gr ballistic tip out of my 35 whelen at 2620 fps. It is an awesome hammer. I shot an 8 pt last year qaurtering away at 50 yds, it went in just befoe the last rib and went out through the base of his neck. I shot a doe 2 years ago. The ballistic tip went in the left ham penetrated all the way through and broke the right shoulder. I recovered the bullet it weighs 110 grs. with out the core. It has a really thick base and is definately built tougher than the lighter ballistic tips in my opinion. Both deer went down in their tracks. Broadside lung shots have had good holes and easy to follow short blood trails, if they go any where and they often don't. I like them second to the 250 speer hot-core for my whelen. Probably would stick to deer and the occasional pig with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting my 338 Ultra mag with 200 grain BT's at about 3250+. Have not had a chance to try them on an animal as of yet but on a one gallon paint can the results are incredible to say the least. At 100 yards the can is ripped apart and blown back 30+ feet. Paint is found in a 35+ foot radius. I will use the 200 grain BT on a muley this fall, will only shoot a heart/ lung shot for shure! I have recovered some at 300 yards in the hard dirt backstop and as I recall they were still together, around 75-90 grains.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I took 3 Whitetails with the Nosler 8mm 180gr Ballistic Tip @ 2960fps mv from an 8mm-06 Ackley Improved.

Exit wounds on the broadside hits (2 of them)were similar on hits @ 60yds and 225yds.(paced) This leads me to believe that bullet expansion, although adequate @ the lower impact velocity of the long shot, was "controled" @ the higher impact velocity of the 60yd shot.

Both animals dropped immediately.

A mature doe hit quartering on @ 225yds ran 40yds. The bullet shattered the lower shoulder joint, took off the top of the heart and lodged somewhere in the paunch with thumbnail sized bone framents scattered througout the abdominal cavity. The bullet was not recovered as digging through a gut pile is not my cup of tea. (The bullet made quite a mess of things!)

I am very impressed with the performance of this bullet on deer, and would believe it to be adequate for larger game.

I will try it in 8X68S @ about 200fps more mv.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
RE: Jim The Plumber

Say uhhh Jim, just wondering, but why shoot paint cans? Wouldn't water in that can have been just as impressive??

Just thinkin' about that 35' radius spray of paint and wondering "didja really need to do that??".......course I'm sure that you brought the blown up can home, and scraped up as much of the paint as you could.

Still......why???

Don't get all hot, just think about it next time. [Wink]

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 200/.338 BTip on both cow elk and black bear. Results fully satisfactory at ranges from 75 to 300+ yards. In my comparisons in dry paper medium, the BTip penetrates about 90 to 95% of the distance of a 210 Partition.

May try the 180/.338 BTip on whitetails this year.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote