New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR Longtrac accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I ve posted something on this before but Im goin to ask again (or at least have another 2cents worth).

I have one in .270WIN. At this stage I havent done any really serious load development for it or used any factory loads. I have used my usual handload. It shoots okay.

From what I have been hearing from you guys state side you hate them. Is it just me or is Browning selling all the crap ones to its US customers? Ive got mates here in NZ that love 'em.

Here is two reviews that rave about them.
LongTrac 30-06 review
Rifle Magazine Nov 2005 #222

There is two. If you google it you will find a couple more.

I have heard people saying they are not happy if their BAR doesnt shoot under MOA. That is crap and we all know it. If your BAR shoots that well your should be using it in F class comps, tell me another. I base my groups on 5 shot groups. If I can get 1.5" at 100yds I am happy. I have an AR15 tricked out a bit that shoots MOA but that is a whole nother story.

Ive never had feeding or jamming problems with mine and neither have my two mates that own them. When you strip them down and compare them to the BAR Safari (which I also own) they are the same except for the foreend mounting assembly (on the gas block).

When they first came out I heard a lot of boys in the US that didnt like them because they looked European and were plastic. I was like.. "wtf??!... what has that got to do with anything, my Glock is plastic?". Remind me, how does cosmetics affect accuracy again?

So...

If you like your Longtrac or Shortrac post some results.

If you have one or have owned one that has not been great post some evidence.

Below is this morning quick effort (had to check as the rifle was not shooting straight, bumped it while on a recent trip and missed a headshot on a deer couple weeks back).

Nothing flash here. First target was just to get it near, didnt take to much time getting set up just squeezed of 2 sets of 2 shots and adjusted.

Second target I waited a minute between shots. Only a 3 shot group (yes there is 3 holes there if you look closely) but a click to the left and I left it at that.

So its shoots IMHO.

The big squares are MOA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a short-trac in 7mm wsm and it's currently shooting about 1.5" groups with a hunting scope. It's very likely a target scope would let me reduce my groups to under 1".

I like the rifle.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yay. Good to hear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot at 200 yesterday for verification. 2 shots into about 2.5 inches. What's there not to like?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was doing some load developement work this morning at 240yards (I know its an odd number but its what I have set up). Using mys BAR Lontrac (270WIN).

After playing around with Seirra 130gn and trying to Audette method, I got out 5 of my usual hunting loads. 130gn Hornady interlocks. 59,5gn 2213SC powder.

Shot a 5 shot 2.0" group on a fouled barrel (first shot may have been affected). Was a stiff breeze coming from 11oclock as well!.

Tell me again they dont shoot okay? Wish I had taken up some of those offers to buy all these inaccurate "rubbish" new BARs..haha.