Find
Notify
Tools

which brass for 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which brass is best for the 9.3x62?

I have found that brass is available from A-square, Lapua, Norma, Grafs, and Quality Cartiridge (I think). I've notices that most reloading manuals use Norma brass, is there a reason for this? (Anyone know who makes tha Grafs brass?)

I figure a 100 peices of brass will last forever so price is not the bigest factor.

Your experiences please!

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who makes it but I've been very happy with the Graf brass. But, in the interest of full disclosure, I haven't tried any other brand of brass in my 9.3x62. My guess would be that the Lapua and Norma brass is probably a little more uniform but I've had such good results with the Graf brass I haven't bothered trying other brands.

My two cents....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Lapua.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma and Graf make excellent brass for the 9,3x62. Haven't tried the Lapua yet.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I was a bit disappointed with the Lapua. I bought two (100 round each) boxes of it. I used one box (100 rounds) and encountered two cases with crappy necks that collapsed in the initial run through the resize die.

I think I'd go with the Graf as it's cheaper.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Norma a good bit and Lapua for a shorter period of time. Both are quite good but the Lapua was more uniform in weight out of the box. Either one would be fine and I'd take a good look at the Graf's brass as well. It seems to get good marks as BFaucett mentioned.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAPUA

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the brass from Lapua and Norma, but I have not tried any of the others (I use Lapua the most because that is what I bought the most of when I was compiling components for this cartridge). Norma brass is the most readily available (from the most sources) and most well known brand for cases in this caliber here in the states. I may be wrong, but I think they have marketed their brass for a longer time in the U.S. than the others have. Norma has a good and long-established reputation for quality here in the states. If a gunstore is going to carry brass in hard to find metric calibers (like the 9.3x62)..it will more than likely be the Norma brand. I see RWS once in a while, but not near as much as Norma (it is the only brand of 9.3x62 brass that I have ever seen in a store). They are usually available for about $20 per 20 from most sources (Midway USA). I have no idea who makes the brass for Grafs. If I were starting over, I would have probably purchased 100 rounds of Norma and called it good. It is good stuff and you know you can always get more if you need it.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve used Sako brass but I bought some PMP brass in SA in March that I haven´t tried loading yet.

The Sako brass is good, but I´d prefer Lapua or Norma.

Anyone have any pointers on what I´m doing wrong when I reload my 9.3:s? I use Lyman 2 die reloading set. If i adjust the shellholder up to the calibrating die the shoulder seems to be "pushed down". I then tried leaving a spase between the shellholder and the die which kept the shoulder in place but made the neck look like a coke bottle! And I´ve had som serious casestretching...

I´ve tried more lube, less lube (RCBS), dry lube...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gringo_pistolero:
(Anyone know who makes tha Grafs brass?)

Prvi Partizan, and it usually is very good brass.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm using Graf, seems to be as good as any, inexpensive too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately Lapua. Sinclair has it............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Lapua, Graf's and fireformed 30-06. The Graf's is very good, the Lapua is better than very good as it never wears out or stretches and the .30-06 gives me comfort that I'll never be without brass no matter who embargos what Smiler

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

Where do I go to get the best price on brass?

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First (if you find it) RWS, second Norma.
Now, I have proof the new for me, GRAF'S brass.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Norma ,Lapua ,RWS and S&B. The nice lady at Grafs is of the opinion that Lapua is better than Norma. My personal rating would be RWS,Lapua ,Norma and S&B
Since RWS is made of unobtanium use Lapua. I think Grafs is made by Hornaday. It should be good too.
I never had a split case with Lapua-reloaded some 4 times. I'm not reloading much now but I still have a good bit of the Lapua.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
LAPUA OR RWS

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
its all good brass, I have used it all but IMO RWS is the worlds best brass with Lapua running a close second...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve now reloaded som PMP brass and it seems to be the equal of Sako and loads better than Win. Cheap to if you by it in SA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe, I'm glad you had positive experience using the PMP brass. I reloaded some in .270 Win, and was somewhat dubious about the results - but, hey, the stuff is cheap. Then I reloaded some .223 Rem, and that was the last PMP brass I'll ever want to use in my life.

It was sold as commercial brass, but it had crimped primer pockets, and it gave an incredible variance in bullet seating resistance. Needless to say, results were disappointing, accuracy wise. I switched to Lapua, and that resolved the problem.

Power to you, if you like the brass. But it may not be for everybody.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho: Maybe I just got lucky? PMP has been trying to create a better quality profile and maybe thay´ve had success?

So far it´s working and MAYBE....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be all for better quality brass from PMP, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that this might be the case. We are not exactly inundated with cheap (and good) reloading components in Europe Mad. PMP is at least priced competitively.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote