New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about a used 308
 Login/Join

<brewtcl>
posted
I have been serching for a 308 or 30-06. I found a used 308. It is a heavy 26" barrelled older model ruger. It has the older safety design and not the new one. It has been put in a synthetic stock. It looks like it has hardly been shot. Hardly any makings from use, and the blueing is very good. The store has a $460 price tag on it. My question is what do you know aobut his design and is that a fair price. I can't find anything out about this rifle in any books I have. Sorry I didn't get the serial numbers from it. Thank you for your replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds really high. I have a friend that bought a new Winchester 70 featherweight for a little more than that. If you look, you'll find a lot of used .308 or 30-06's around. In Minnesota, ones in good shape from the usual manufacturers usually run around $300.00.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
brew-

That's the M77V (Varmint). They shot pretty good. The price may be high, depending on *which* brand of "synthetic" stock it's now wearing. If it's a Ramline, yeah, it's high. If on the other hand, it's a $300+ McMillan, all of a sudden it's a pretty good buy. [Wink]

Try to find out what stock is on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the older Mark I. Better trigger and I like the tang safety. Just found a new-in-the-box 30-06 for $300 at a gun show, but that was a steal.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is going to be a gun show at the b'ham civic center next saturday and sunday. the last one had some good prices and good selection.

Posts: 233 | Location: hickadory, alabama USA | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
Thanks for all the input. I'll try my best to make it to the b'ham show, thanks for the tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
let me know if you come to b'ham, there are several good gun shops in the b'ham area, i can get give you some names and phone numbers. I just put a new cz-550 American Premium in lay-a-way for $399. this guy had it on the shelf for over 6 months, no one in that area new anything about them, so i could not resist. it makes my 4th 30/06.

Posts: 233 | Location: hickadory, alabama USA | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote