New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighter weight 9.3 bullets
 Login/Join

<Pre64>
posted
I've seen many posts concerning loads for and the effectiveness of 250 grain and heavier 9.3mm bullets but virtually nothing for the 225 RWS, 232 Vulcan/Oryx and 235 Hawk. Anyone out there who'd like to share their experience with lighter bullets for this superb cartridge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Norma Vulcan has a good reputation for "regular" game ( = not heavies ). Smaller pigs and lesser red deer. It will deform earlier than the heavyweight bullets. Ask Pygmy about the 250 X bullet.

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
If you�re planning to use one bullet for all game a 232gr bullet is not a good choise.
It�s lack of sectional dencity will deliver a poor penetration in bigger animals.
If used for lighter game and combined with a 286gr for the heavier, it�s a good choise.

<Pre64>
posted
Monz,

I guess what I am looking for is how these lighter bullets perform on deer-sized game. Do they kill less effectively and ruin more meat than a 250gr? Is there a big enough improvement in trajectory and range to warrant their use? Based on what Ray and many others (ncluding my favorite gun writer Jack O'Conner) have said, I have no doubt in the ability of the 9.3x62 to handle big game. My questions concerning the lighter bullets are intended to find out how close they bring this cartridge to the mythical "all-around" status. Thanks for your post.

<leo>
posted
I suspect the 232 grain bullets have about the same sectional density as the 165 grain .30 caliber bullets. If it's well constructed it should work well on some fairly large animals. At 2,625 ft/sec. it should be flat enough shooting for almost all situations.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I don't use the high power 9.3's but I have a 9.3 x 72R drilling. I shoot the Norma 193 grain bullets, it's a flatpoint, essentially no BC or SD. I haven't bought any in several years so I'm not sure if still available. Since this is such a low power round I've never used it on anything but coues deer, whitetail and small pigs, all at pretty close range. For an 80 year old rifle with a flip up rear leaf it's pretty good, will still put 3 shots in around an inch at 100 yards.

------------------
Browningguy
Houston, TX

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
PRE 64,
I think that the 250 gr is a better choise if you�re looking for an over all bullet.
You wont gain much in trajectory by using 232 gr bullets, but you will lose some S.D.
I�ve shot deer with the Swift A-frame 250gr at 2540 f/s and they do open up well.
I preffer 286,300 or 320 gr but I use a 7x65R for smaller game. I only use the 9,3x62�s for wild boar and moose(and perhaps african game in the future)

<monz>
posted
BROWNINGGUY,
Norma does not make those 193 gr bullets but Check Sellier&Bellot do.
It�s also a flat nose bullet.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have used the 232 grain bullets in my 9.3x62 and it gave exelant performance, I used it on Eland and Kudu, the Eland was 236 kg when cut up into pieces. I never had a problem with those bullets

I am talking about the 232 grain Norma vulcun

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A combination hunt of roe, boar as well as bigger stuff is probably well served by the 232gr Vulkan. I have shot a few big fallow, a couple of roe and a bull moose calf with this bullet at 2,600fps - not surprisingly none of the bullets were recovered!

When I have used all my Vulkans I plan on trying the 232gr Oryx as my do all bullet to give me a touch more confidence should I come up against the bull of my dreams!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894 try to keep all possible 232 Oryx , they should be replaced by 286 grains in a near future.
Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first bought my 9.3 I invested in a box of norma 232gr factory loaded rounds. I don't really recall the group being all to terrific (compared to what i get with handloads and 270 grainers) but then again, it was factory ammo and open sights (and i'm near sighted).

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from Africa where I used the 250BT in the 9.3x62 for BushBuck, Grysbok, and Wild Pig. It was one shot each. What was really nice was that the 250 shot slow enough that it did not tear the Gysbok up.

The Bushbuck was at close range, running. Upon being hit, the animal was knocked down, slide some five yards, and expired. DRT*. We cleaned up the exit wound side for photos. See post in African thread.

This load will shoot 3" high at 100, 2" high at 200, 3" low at 275 and 5-6" low at 300. It is carrying over 2000ft#'s at 300. Awesome is as it does. This rifle will make lots of hunting trips with me. Ku-dude

*DRT: Dead Right There

[This message has been edited by Ku-dude (edited 05-16-2002).]