THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Projectile choice for .300 win mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Projectile choice for .300 win mag
 Login/Join

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I've just purchased a .300 win mag and am now coming to most pleasurable task of reloading for a .30 cal.

Where do I start? There are a ton of choices for this calibre and I suspect that the heavier pils will suit this chambering better? 200gns?

I don't benchrest or target shoot... (But I still love Matchkings ) and will be chasing mainly big pigs and fallow /samber deer. I may also geta chance on some Asiatic Water Buffalo, I suspect the heaviest Woodleigh I can put my paws on would be the shot for this?

Also any loads using Varget would be much appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 grain is pretty universal for the .300 (for most applications), and is all I use in mine (Nosler partition). I suspect that for pigs and sambar, you're going to want something a bit more economical, however. Any of the conventional 180's will do fine for these animals.

You are on the right track with the heaviest Woodliegh available for water buff. I understand that these fellows normally outweigh Cape buff of Africa by several hundred pounds. Nosler makes a 220 grain partition which might also work on these behemouths.

Varget is somewhat too fast for your .300 Winchester. The Aussie version of H4831sc (whatever it's called) would be a much better choice.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Stonecreek,
My thanks.

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Best groups and velocities with 200gr and up in my .300Win was with IMR7828.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just checked the ADI loading manual. H4831sc is the same a A2213sc and should do well in you .300 Win with everything from 150 to 220 grain bullets.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
My brother uses the 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Haven't tested them yet but we are expecting great things from this load. I am looking into a 175 grain Partition for my 7mm Rem Mag. The 180 gr should work fine for pigs. For roe deer I would look into the BalTips in the same grainage and for water buf, I am sorry, but I have to suggest you go with something a little larger than a .30 cal--say something like a .375...

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
The 180 grain bullets is the best in the 300

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd try the 220 gr rn bullets, @ 2700 fps they're still plenty flat shooting, and I'd rather have more bullet weight and a tad less speed.

Unfortunately Varget is simply too fast of a powder unless you're shooting light bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips over 70 grains of IMR 4350 for about 12 years. They have proven the perfect match on white tails on at least 15 kills. That is all the help I can give. One note I always go for lung shots and avoid the shoulder. Very little meat damage that way as I don't eat the ribs.

------------------
Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
You won't go wrong with the 180 Nosler Partition but for what you are hunting, the Hornady Interlock in 165 or 180 should be good as well. Actually, any of the mainstream regular "cup" style bullets will work as long as you keep the velocities reasonable. My concern here would be the fragability at the high velocity the 300 WM is capable of, especially at close in ranges.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I just got my new 300 Win, it realy likes 180 and 220 grain PMP ammo

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Hey Flip

What type of rifle do you have and what kind of groups are you getting from PMP ammo?

PMP is available here thru Century Arms for less than half the cost of other ammo. I don't reload for the caliber since I don't expect to shoot enough of it to justify the expense (heresy, I know), so the PMP looks good.

Thanks!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mark Mcdeavitt>
posted
I have been shooting a 300 for 6 years now. The best load I have found for deer or elk is H4831 @ 72.6 gr. and 165 gr. nossler ballistic tips.I shoot a remmington 700 bdl.Hope this helps.
God speed
Mark

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
180 grain Barnes X bullet.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hello,
I load reloader 19,fed 215 primer,Nosler 165 Btip.Groups from my gun,.250 or better.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com
PS Gun is for sale.Custom. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my high end load I use H1000 and 200 grain speer spitzers. For a deer/ hog load I push 165 grain PSPCL remington bullets to 3100 with 4350. I like noslers but just don't need them for my Elk hunting.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely use woodeliegh bullets (Aussie Made) there supurp and I would use the 220 RN or the 200 gr PP, for what your shooting, in all honesty people have moved away from round nose projectiles but I reckon they kill better than pointy ones and it for hunting pigs or scrub bulls I reckon they penetrate more reliably and easily make up for what they give away in BC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
My tightest group from my Ruger M77MKII was .75". This was Federal Primium 200 grain Sierra GameKing. I'vve haven't shot anything, other than an old farm cat, with my 300 yet.