THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Quickest expansion ,180gn woodleighs VS Balistic tip.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quickest expansion ,180gn woodleighs VS Balistic tip.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I,m after a regular hunting bullet for my 300 weatherby for medium sized pigs ,goats etc. I know the woodleighs often punch through ,but I am assuming the 180 balistic tips will open quicker. Has anyone compared 180gn woodleighs to Balistic tips?

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR500,

the speeds of your weatherby will make the woodleigh's open up and you will also get much better penetration than the BT's. For the weatherby .300 I would load the woodleigh, the Nos BT might actually come apart at the speeds of the .300.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, for the price, I'd pick up the 180gr Rem Core-Lokt being sold in bulk around the country.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just been trying the woodleighs in the 300 WBY. They shot pretty poorly in mine. The Barnes shoot around 1" groups while the woodleighs were around 3" at 100 yds. The woodleighs shoot very well in my freinds 300WSM though. I might give the BTs a go and see how accurate they are. I wont need very deep penetration with pigs with a 180gn bullet. I know benrest accuraccy isnt needed for hunting but I want better than the woodleighs go in ine.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler just changed the 180 grain BT a year or two ago.

They made the jacket thicker and much tougher because a lot of hunters were using it for Elk and Moose.

I don't know if this will help you or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mate your way over gunned for medium pigs & goats especially seeing as 99% of shots will be less than 100 yards.

Most bullets will punch straight through those reasonably thin body's without expanding & unless your lucky your pig will get away.

Balistic tips work best with impact velocities between about 1800 & 2800 fps & would probably be good at long range in the 300 weatherby but could over expand & fail to penetrate at close range.I had the same problem with the 300 win,on medium game close up,in the end I traded it in a 7mm-08 & solved the problem.

The only way to find out how the balistic tips work is to try them but they were never any good from my 300 at close range,you might be better off trying one of the bonded bullets such as accubonds or interbonds with a fairly reduced load that is accurate

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken eight elk and two moose at distances as close as 80 yards using the 180gr ballistic tip out of my 300ultramag.Even with a muzzle velocity of 3340fps the bullets penetrated well and did not come apart.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just been reading about the Hornady Interbonds and maybe these would be better for me. I dont care if the bullets are expensive as I,m not a very big volume shooter. I will buy some Hornady interbonds and some balistic tips and see how each goes. I might post another bullet question to see what views people have about the plastic tip bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the fast Weatherby rifles I always used Nosler Patitions, GS Customs, Northforks and they all worked...Because of its velocity, the Weatherby rifles need a premium bullet, that was established many years ago, after bucoos of failures....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
And if your not going to use a premium bullet, (I would), then I'd use 220 grain bullets.

Ray is right about the Weatherby, velocity, and bullet failure.

You are asking for problems by using a cheap, lightly built bullet in that Weatherby. The Noslers and Woodleighs aren't cheap, but the Ballistic tip might not hold up under the velocity. Call Nosler and ask them.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
CR500 I have used 140 and 150 B.T in 7mmremmag on goats from 10 to 200 yards with no problems,i now use 120gr v-max and 115gr speer hp.180gr B.T should kill the biggest goat on the planet with no problems Big Grin how big do your goats get over there 100lbs?

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a 7mm Mag. I had more problems with bullets blowing up in that particular caliber than any other I've ever owned.

Once I started using 160 grain Noslers, the problems went away.

The last deer that I killed with that rifle I used a 150 grain Silvertip. The bullet exploded on impact, didn't penetrate, and completely destroyed the left shoulder and the surrounding area was all bloodshot.

Yes the animal died, but I expect better results than that.

If you choose to use a 300 Weatherby, and want to use cheap, light for caliber bullets, expect similiar results. Bullets blowing up on impact.

I've shot deer with my 300 Weatherby with 220 grain bullets. A hole in and a hole out, not alot of damage and a very dead deer.

I'm sharing my experiences with light for caliber, standard cup and core bullets, launched out of high velocity magnums.

You are more than welcome to find out if your results match mine... beer

Now having said all that, I did kill my first Grizzly with a 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullet, but the bear was at about 275 yards and the bullet had slowed to an acceptable velocity for that bullet. One shot kill...