New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've had a 358 Winchester built on a Ruger 77 Mk II with a 23" stainless barrel, a MPI Fiberglass stock and a 2 x 7 Nikon scope. It shoots 225 grain Nosler Partitions at 2600 fps with 55 grains of W 748. This load is very accurate (.75") and may be hot in some rifles, but seems fine in mine. Pressures are around 53,000 (M43) and extraction, primers, etc. all look fine. It is my favorite elk, deer and black bear rifle. It weighs about 7.5 lbs.

Posts: 28 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 26 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .358 Win is also one of the most friendly of cast bullet chamberings, and will handle the range of game you hunt, for less bucks, and more shooting time.

email me at waksupi@aboutmontana.net for more cast bullet info.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having the very same rig built ! only I will use a shilen bbl 22" and use the factory wood stock. I have owned every factory .358 ever made at one time or another. My favorite is the BLR81 (32one shot kills on bearto date) Glad to hear of your load I've gone to 54 grns in my Blr with .225's and 53 grns with the .250 speer. I've been a little afraid to take it to 55 grns of 748 but I might try it in my newley bbl Ruger 77, since I hear of your results.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote