THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Remington Classic vs Ruger Special Edition

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Classic vs Ruger Special Edition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As many of you know I looking for a new toy in 35 caliber and in doing so I've been offered these two rifles. A Remington Classic in .35 Whelen and a used Ruger Special Edition in .35 Whelen. Yes there's a pretty good price difference between the two but I rather base this on more than price. Thats why I can't make up my mind. I want the Remington, why I'm not sure I've never been a big Remington fan but there's just something about the lines of the Classic I like. I can more afford the Ruger plus its got the 3 position safety that I like. On the other hand its got iron sights which I don't "plan" to use and that God awful Zytel stock which would have to go. I've but far to much thought into this, the Bear I plan to hunt want know the difference.

So which one would you choose? Why?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark. Based on looks, I would go with the classic. If I was hung up on the CRF and 3 position safety, the Ruger would get the nod. In a non-dangerous game rifle, I don't think it matters, so I guess the Remington would be my personal choice. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<71 Win>
posted
I have a 350 Rem mag in the classic and love it. I also have a Ruger 77 with the zytel stock and find it uncomfortable to shoot. If you have a chance at the classic buy it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugers are good rifles you will not go wrong with that any more then buying the Remington. I prefer rugers myself better safetys ect.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Get the Remington. [Wink]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I have a couple of the Rugers in several different calibers and really like them.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BT100
posted Hide Post
.02 worth. I was in the same situation but with a 257Rob. Went with the Rem Classic. Better/stronger action, great lines and looks. You really don't have to do much to them either. Trigger and action bedding was in order ($90.00). With the Ruger you'll have to buy a Moyer trigger and a new stock, then bed it(+/- $200.00). That most likely the difference in costs right now. Again I'd go with the Classic.
BTW: get me one too.

Posts: 371 | Location: Helena, MT | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
don't know much but i know this much. have a rem built by their custom shop 2 yrs. prior to classic release. put in a timney trigger and floated barrel. now shoots with the production rifle of friend. paid a boatload of money for a custom stock in reality. lot of reports of problems with chamber of the current ruger 35 whelen. must be some fire under the smoke. have 3 other ruger 77s. this is my only rem. that said, i'd buy the rem

Posts: 21 | Location: gainesville,ga,usa | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres the update. My search for a 35 caliber is over!!!! Thursday I bought a Remington Classic in 350rem mag. I bought from one of the guys on accuratereloading.com , at a good price I might add, and should have it this week. I can hardly wait. This will be the first Remington I've owned in many years, my first 35 and my first short action!!!! I odered some 250 gr bullets and some rings and bases yesterday, it should all come in next week. On top of that I should find out next week if I'll get a Wyoming Antelope tag, is this christmas in August or what? Thanks for all your help.

<WSJ>
posted
Dang! First time I've been here in some time and here's a topic dear to my heart right off the bat. Congratulations on the 350 purchase. Let us know what you think.

I was in a similar situation not long ago (looking for a 35 Whelen in the Classic or a nice M70 in 30-06 or 270 to have rebarrelled) but never came across one or the right Winchester. Then I happened on a 350 Classic and did the same thing you did - jumped on it. I like it so far but haven't killed a thing with it. I've also got an 8 mag in the Classic, which I like. The finish (degree of polish and bluing) on my 350 is much better than the 1998-vintage 8 mag; the wood and finish are different but about equal quality.

I kind of did the same thing with a 257 Rbts except I had an A-Bolt Medallion that was OK but I wasn't in love with; couldn't seem to run across a Classic; found a like-new Ruger 77 MK II and swapped even for it. I did have a trigger job done on the Ruger and it seems to shoot a bit better than did the A-Bolt. I like the safety a bunch better.

Of course I'm still looking for a Whelen, just because. Is the Classic you were considering still available?

FYI Midway does have bulk 350 brass available. You might want to consider loading up on some because I don't believe Remington's cataloging loaded ammo anymore. I'm always scrounging around gun shops hoping to find loaded 350 ammo that I can haggle over. It's not easy to find and it's not usually cheap (once in a while I get lucky).

Good luck. -WSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man WSJ, we sure do think alike [Smile] I went with a friend to the rifle range the other day and shot his rifle. It maybe next year but the next rifle I buy will be a .257roberts and if this Remington Classic works out, it just maybe another Classic. [Big Grin]

Reguarding the 35whelen I'm not sure if it's still for sale or not I'll forward you the link. I do know someone put one on gunsamerica.com today for $500. Good hunting.

<WSJ>
posted
mark65x55: Thanks for the gunsamerica info and your offer to forward the previous link. I'll let you know if I ever run across someone who has two Classics in 257 Rbts! -WSJ

<71 Win>
posted
Mark 6.5x55 your going to love your 350 Classic I love mine. When ordering 250gr bullets be careful because some are to long to work through the actionsuch as the Hornadys. I have found that Speer 250gr work the best for me. All the 180,200 and 220gr bullets work well also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ
What do you mean two Classics in 257roberts [Razz] [Big Grin]

71 Win
Wish I had talked to you yesterday because I ordered a box of 250gr Hornadys. Hornady list them in their newest reloading manual. What the problem, compressed loads? I looked at ordering the Speers but their manual only listed one load at or above 2350fps which is what I hope to get out of the Hornaday. Please tell me more. I did a lot of research on this caliber before buying it and your the first person I've read who said the Hornadys wouldn't work. Thats why I bought this rifle, to shoot 250gr bullets.

[ 08-05-2002, 04:20: Message edited by: mark65x55 ]

<71 Win>
posted
Mark 6.5x55

In the Rem classic I've found that you can have a OAL cartridge length of 2.815 and still feed from the magazine. The Hornady 250's are a bit longer than the Speers of the same weight. My problem has been trying to seat the Hornadys deep enough to feed and at the same time keeping enough neck tension so they won't fall into the case. The Hornady tapers quiet a bit because of the spire point and when you go to seat them and this does'nt leave much to grab on to. Has'nt been a problem with the Speer.

<71 Win>
posted
Mark one thing I forgot to ask, what was the OAL of the 250 gr load in the Hornady manual. If I remember correctly it was more than 2.815 and this is max in my rifle.

<wll>
posted
Mark,

I was in the market for a 35 Whelen also, could not make up my mind, but bought a Ruger Special Edition 3 days ago on GunsAmerica for under $500.00 a fair price.

Bought brass, dies, etc and awating there arrival. Will load Speer 250gr Grand Slams at around 2400fps using IMR 4895, or IMR 4320.

This gun will be used for Pig and other big game, it will accompany me along with my Marlin 45-70 1895 Standard model (has Ghost Ring Sights, AO Mount Leopold Scout scope etc, etc) ,on these trips as sometime the range and area dictates a rifle that has a little more reach.

wll

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wll. You really don't need Grand Slams for pigs. I have friends, whose word I trust who live in Canada and Alaska. They hunt moose every year and state that they have complete penetration on shoulder shots using the 250 gr. Speer Hot-core spitzer flat based bullet. I was going to use my Whelen on elk thjis year, but the state in all it's wisdon, not to mention is damned lottery system, did not grant me a tag this year. My buddy in Alaska carries a .350 Rem. mag., which for all practical purposes is just a short version of the Whelen, and his bullet of choice for the big bears they have up there is also the Speer Hot-core.
FWIW. Go to (www.sixgunner.com) and look in the past articles sectiom for an article by Paco Kelly on the .35 Whelen. It's one hell of an eye opener as to what he's claimed the Whelen can do. Let's just say he really pushes the envelope for the round. I do agree that the Whelen is seriously underloaded due to the fact that many old Springfields and even old Winchester Model 95's have been chamber to the .35 Whelen. But, in a modern rifle, like your Ruger I think Kelly may not be too far off base, altough, I think I'd be a bit more conservative.
I can say this for sure. I like my 35's, the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen. I do not like the twist rate on the Remington and Ruger rifles. When Howe developed the Whelen, he used a 1 in 12" twist. Why in hell Remington and Ruger went to a 1 in 16" twist is beyond me, although P.O. Ackley in one of his books suggested a 1 in 14" as being best and 1 in 16" as a good substitute. My next Whelen will have a 1 in 12". My Mauser has the 1 in 14" and I have mixed feelings on it.
When Winchester made the .358, it had a 1 in 12" twist as does the Browning BLR. So why did Ruger use a 1 in 16" twist? Ackley again????? Who knows.
Anyway, enjoy your .35 W. It is an under appreciated round that deserves a lot more resect that it is given.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it you guys, I bought me a New Classic in 350 a couple of months ago and tucked it away in the back of the safe as an investment piece. Now you all have gone and got me thinking that it should be a shooter... Now I have to dig out that new brass I had been stockpiling and start loading a few rounds!! Yeah I know, you all are feeling sorry for me about now aren't ya?

"If you keep doing what you have always done,You will always be what you have been"

<wll>
posted
paul,

Thank you for your post, I will check out Paco Kelly's articles.

Thank you again for your info.

wll