New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up my Christmas present,a Kimber Montana in 7mmWSM. I would like to use the excellent Nosler brasswhich is available in 300WSM. Other than running it through a Redding full length die (or I suppose even a neck size die) and trimming the length are there any other considerations? Does Lapua sell WSM brass?orNorma?
Thanks

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Brass is ready to load out of the box.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with Norma brass. That's all I use. I neck size new brass becasue no matter how weel made a case or what the price, necks get dinged. I use it for my 270, 270 WSM, and my 300 WSM before I decided to downsize my arsinal.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
FWIW I had to go to a small base die on my 270 WSM because th FL die wasn't pushing the shoulders back to spec. If you can chamber a necksized WSM case after a few firings, great. Be aware you may have to go to a FL or even small base die.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Converting 300 or 270 WSM brass is a conversion that I don't think I'd want to mess with. The 7 WSM's shoulder is moved further forward so that it won't chamber in 270 WSM's. You would have to Make a false shoulder and fireform the brass before you could use it with full power loads. I hate having to waste a good bullet fireforming brass when I can just buy the brass ready to load.

From the 6th edition Hornady manual. Distances from the base of the case to the BASE of the neck:

270 WSM 1.824
7 WSM 1.857
300 WSM 1.802

............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote