Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Finnlight in 270 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I am looking for another 270 WSM... I love this caliber. I wanted to get something in a lite version. I really like the Sako Finnlights 6.5 lbs, fluted barrel, and clip... all things that I like in a Hunting rifle.

There was some news about Sakos blowing up in some calibers. Was this any of the Finnlights?

Anyone own one of these rifles, likes and disslikes??

I have a custom 270 WSM on a Model 70 SS action with a custom laminated stock, beautiful rifle but just to heavy at 9.5 lbs, my own fault, added cross bolts and balck ebony forearm tip and pistol grip. The laminated stock probably has to go over two lbs itself.. Yeah well live and learn... boohoo

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel problems were with stainless barreled Sakos and Tikkas. The ones I've seen reports of that acutally blew up were fluted Finnlights.

If you want one, do a search and you'll find the serial numbers that may have bad barrels. Avoid those or send them to Beretta for a barrel replacement.

If you want something light, you can also check out Tikka's T3. They weigh in at less slightly less than 6.5lbs...but of course if you can afford the Sako then that would be a better choice Smiler
I have a T3 Lite and it's an absolute dream to carry in the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Finnlites one in 270 Winchester, and one in 300 WSM. They are both extremely accurate for lightweight rifles. I checked the serial numbers with Berreta to make sure that they weren't recalled and plan to hunt with them with no further worries.
Here is a 200 yard group from my 300 WSM Finnlite:

This isn't a one off group. I've shot several similar groups at 200 yds with this rifle and sub 1/2 MOA groups at 300yds with the same rifle and load. This is also with a Premium Hunting bullet that isn't always considered the most accurate. My 270 Winchester Finnlite shoots even better. Needless to say I love my Finnlites and would think that one in 270 WSM would be a superb hunting rifle. Let us know how you enjoy yours......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJPAINTLESS

Those are very good groups. I have a T3 in 300 wsm and it groups close to that at 100metres but I have not tried 200 with it yet. That is with 180gn Woodleigh Protected Points. Its early days - I will more than likely improve on that.

I would love a Finnlite in a 270wsm but would wait awile for the dust to settle over these barrels.

However I think Sako has isolated the problem as there seem to have been no recent reports of barrels blowing up or for that matter any incidents with their barrels outside the recall serial numbers.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi DJ:

Those are some great groups you shot there. My Win Mod 70 is a sub MOA shooter, but not that good.

You don't happen to have the serial numbers that the recall were on do you?

Thanks for the info...

Regards.. Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHUNTER

Elsewhere off this website they are :-

419140 to 461951

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter, Thanks MLG for the serial #'s. That's the range the affected guns were in but not all of them in that range were affected, you have to call Berretta with your specific #. My 300 WSM is within the range but when I contacted Berretta it thankfully wasn't in the recall.
I've fired a couple hundred rounds through mine with great results. I think that all of the bad guns failed within a few rounds, and hopefully they've gotten most of them out of the system by now.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi MLG:

Thank you very much for the range of serial numbers.

I found a gunshop that is supposed to be getting in some Finnlights next week.

I was at Cabelas in Hamburg on Saturday, found one for $1269.00 but I think that is a bit high in price.

Thanks for the info...

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com