Notify
Tools

Ruger price hike
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
So what do you guys think about it.

In 06 the price of Rugers goes up and Winchester newer models have lower prices.

Lately I have been springing for the extra bucks to get a Winchester. Now the price difference is even less.

I like rugers but I think they may price themselves out. If I do go for one I will have to really look around for the deals just like I have to for leupold scopes.

The local sportsmans warehouse HAD them for 489 now they are 559. This year the winchesters seem to go down about $80 for similar models they had last year.

Also the Winchesters now chamber the newer models in regular rounds and not just the WSM's.

I had been looking for a ruger in a 270 or 308 for a SS SYN rifle for sheep hunting. Winchester did not offer this. Now Ruger prices have gone up Win prices are going down and they now chamber these rounds in the new models. Will be a tougher choice.

What do you guys think. Feel free to babble on like I did. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I wouldn't buy a Ruger at the old, lower price...

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:

Ditto

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of firearms ownership as a type of long term investment. In my case, I am able to amatorize the cost of the firearm over a lifetime as I never purchase or build a firearm I don't plan to keep from now on.

Now, with that logic and being able to amatorize the cost out over so many years, it makes sense to me at least, pay what is needed up front to buy what I want that I know I'll be happy with.

If you're hankerin' for a Ruger, just spend the extra money. If its what you want, it'll be worth it. Now if you're value shopping, take a look at the Weatherby Vanguards and Stevens 200's. That I can remember, I have never heard anyone badmouth the accuracy of their Vanguard rifle. And I'm hearing some pretty decent things about the Stevens rifles too. Both of these can generally be found under $400 if you look around hard enough.

Good shooting,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Tex21 I like your logic.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Ruger, and don't plan too!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me, that since the old man dies, Ruger Junior has gotten very greedy. thumbdown pissers on him. I happen to like Ruger #1s and try to save my pennies to add to the collection, but Junior has just abour priced me out of the market. Phuck him!
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought any of the new Rugers (mk II) but have a few of the old tang safety ones and like them quite a bit. If they were controlled feed they'd have been perfect. I think the old ones shoot well from what I've seen.

I've only gotten two new rifles in the last six years. One was a gift and one was a door prize. Both are Win M70 and both have proven to be plenty accurate. I had to do some clean-up on one of them to get the safety to fuction smoothly.

If I were shopping right now, I'd consider the Rugers right along with the Winchesters. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder about companies that continue to maintain the same price level for years in spite of escalating material, labor, overhead and other costs. Either they're cutting costs that translate to lower quality levels or they sacrifice profit. Either is a sure recipe for long term failure. I have always been satisfied with Ruger products. Their RSM rifles are an unbeatable value for the money. I will most certainly continue to purchase Ruger products. Just my $0.03 worth. Best, Starcharvski

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
It seems to me, that since the old man dies, Ruger Junior has gotten very greedy. thumbdown pissers on him. I happen to like Ruger #1s and try to save my pennies to add to the collection, but Junior has just abour priced me out of the market. Phuck him!
Paul B.
Pretty bolt statement from someone who doesn't have a clue about Ruger's financial condition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Ruger is a publicly traded corporation. Ticker symbol is "RGR". Their financial performance is a matter of public record; easily looked up using the ticker symbol.

And, frankly, Ruger hasn't been doing very well the last few years.

Stock price:

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was kinda expecting all guns to go up due to the supposed increase in steel prices. Are you guys feeling this in your areas, or is my local shop the only one bumping things up for 06?

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:

I'll get in this line.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats to bad that Ruger raised his prices. He used to make well made guns.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't know so many thought like me!

Never owned one, doubt I ever will. So they can increase the price all they want.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
Well, Ruger is a publicly traded corporation. Ticker symbol is "RGR". Their financial performance is a matter of public record; easily looked up using the ticker symbol.
Bob F.

Actually Bob, if you look at it compared with any of the major indexes RGR has done fine with just holding it's own. They split in 1997 so the prices after that reflect a different value point. They got hurt a little in 98-99 when all the negative press was affecting all gun manufacturers and weathered the 2001 slump pretty well.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger RSM's are the best value going for an out of the box production gun, period. Frankly it bothers the hell out of me when people complain about fair price increases for excellent products. Winchester and Remington will follow soon enough but let's face it, any of these guns are of great quality for the price. If you compare the price of a model 70 25 years ago to todays price I think you'll find it takes less money in todays dollars to purchase one than it did back when. Its due to productivity being better.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:

Stock price:

-Bob F.

You and I know that a lot of internal issues never make it to the income or cash flow statements.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
For the guys who never had one, never will. What do you shoot?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:
I was kinda expecting all guns to go up due to the supposed increase in steel prices. Are you guys feeling this in your areas, or is my local shop the only one bumping things up for 06?

The only ones going up in price that I have seen so far is the Rugers. I noticed it first on gunbroker. The winchesters are staying the same price or lowering them in the new models. So far the Rems are staying the same too.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger on the Mark II is not adjustable and to my mind, too stiff to be really usable, so add the cost of a new trigger. I like wood stocks, but the stock on the Mark II is very small and narrow, shoot one in a 338 win Mag and it gets your undivided attention.Trigger designed by a lawyer, stock designed by a cost accountant.

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Rugers and had no problems out of the box. I cannot say the same for winchester and remington and have sold them off at a loss to get them out of the gun case. As long as my Rugers keep working I will be happy. As for the price increase, thats life. As for winchesters being cheaper... they are still over priced for how they work. my opinion.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill ruger was both the brains and drive behind the company. He kept tabs on both production and admin. Which is rare in a corporation today.Since his kid took over things have went to shit. Especially customer service.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had a few and won't buy another! Buy a model 70 with a machined steel action and I think you'll be happier!! HPshooter, kiss my ass this time!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had heard that Ruger prices would be going up , so decided to get the All Weather M77 MarkII in .338WM that I was wanting , do realize it will thump me in a .338 WM ; ) but that is life , what did surprise me is no Warranty card - Why no Warranty Card has been packed with this new Ruger Firearm Your firearm was not shipped with a warranty card because:
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited†or as “full†and sets minimum standards for a “full†warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited†or “full,†rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties vary from state to state you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.
Even with the increase in prices and no Warranty card now , I will still purchase Ruger Firearms . They work for me. thumb

Posts: 49 | Location: Ca. | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller,
quote:
For the guys who never had one, never will. What do you shoot?

Obviously, most everything besides Ruger!

I don't mean to hijack this thread or cut down any Ruger made product. My gun buying days are almost over and I'm perfectly content to live out the rest of it without Ruger. Browning, H&R, Colt-Sauer, Winchester, Remington, Pedersoli, CVA, Colt, Taurus, S&W, Glock and some semi-custom rifles fill my vault.

I have no future plans on owning a boat so don't need one of those boat-paddle stocked Rugers. And all my fence posts are still pretty sturdy, too.

Nobody I know owns a Ruger. Go figure. I also don't own a Savage.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own just 1 ruger rifle now,an older tang saftey in 30/06,after 35 years of shooting I found a slight crack in the throat,not all the way through,had it rebarreled with a Shilen select #5 contour stainless steel and it shoots better than I can.I'm not partial to the new rugers triggers and bought a remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen this past year and passed on the ruger with the above mentioned lawer trigger.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny how people like diifferent styles. I like the Ruger wood stock, feels just about right in my hands and at my shoulder, but then I don't shoot anything larger than a .270 Win. Like tha M70 Featherweight too. Hate the BDL stocks and Weatherby's. The best guns in my safe are Rugers. There are M70's and M700's in there with them.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote