Find
Notify
Tools

Re: bullet weight vs. velocity
 Login/Join

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have shot and seen too many elk and Bison and even a few Cape Buffalo shot with 45-70, 45-90 and big black powder 50s to ever consider using one on game anymore. That is the biggest misconception in todays hunting world...I learned it the hard way as will those who toast them.

These guns wound more game than they kill, people just don't tell anyone about that, only the one shot kills that happen now and then..

Last year I saw two nice bulls take multiple hits with a 45-70 in the shoulder and they traveled one hell of a long ways and left no blood trail...I have those hits and walk offs on film. Hot loaded Noslers, and the bullets expanded and went to the off side skin, performance was good, but they didn't die.

This year I tracked a Bison hit twice with a 50 shooting 500 plus grain bullets at 1800 FPS (a soft and a solid) in the heart lung area for a half to 3/4s of a mile in a snow storm and very little blood, the snow was covering it and we were having to sweep the snow to find blood droplets and we found the animal dead but that tracking job took 3 or 4 hours I suspect, and we damn near froze to death....This also was filmed...

That is 3 experiences in a row and they about match the rest of such experiences that I have witnessed. I also used a 1886 45-90 for a time until it left me cold...

I also can guarentee what you see on the outdoor channal is not always the way a kill went down. I know one thats coming up that not the way it went down.

That last Bison was the last straw, I am a confirmed non believer in any big game rifle that cannot shoot a bullet at 2150, which my minimum...

I won't argue my opinnion here, as I have stated what I believe, if you wish to risk an expensive hunt on one of these old calibers, then you have been forewarned and I wish you all the success in the world, as I hate to see game get lost..

Ray,

1. How would you rate a .458", 400-grain Barnes Original at a MV of 2270 FPS for a short-range (up to 150 yards) elk load?

2. Why are these old low-velocity .45 and .50 cal. rifles so poor? Is it just because of the low velocity, like a shotgun slug?

I assume then that such rounds as the .450 and the .50 Alaskan would be equally poor? If so, they would not be adequate for bear protection on the salmon streams....

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,

Should we understand that you would rule out all muzzle loaders and handguns (revolvers) from hunting ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kmtboy,
I know Phil really well and in fact he and I will be hunting together in Feb...He uses two rifles for Brown bear, a 505 Gibbs and a 458 Lott...Prefers the Lott..He used a 30-06 for many years with 180 and 200 gr. Noslers, but a couple of close calls moved him spiritually...

Understand that I am not saying a muzzle loader or a 45-70 will not kill an animal, certainly they will, but I have not witnessed them do it in a decent time interval, they take to long to kill IMO...Handy is dandy, but deadly is better...

I have a lot of respect for the 200 and 220 gr. bullets in the the 30 calibers, but I prefer more cross section to a dangerous game bullet and cross section and SD are very important on dangerous game.

The old timers I grew up knew this as you say and they all went to the more modern guns as quick as they could..Many have told me what I have observed is true...

regardless of bullet construction, a bullet for dangerous game should exceed 2000 FPS and have a SD of at least about 250 anyway...I still adhere to a bullet 2.5 x its cross section in length...

No sir, I don't consider any muzzle loader or pistol a Brown bear rifle, nor a Lion or Cape Buffalo rifle..that is in the relm of a stunt IMO..Not to say I deny you the right to use them on such animals, be my guest, I would never tell anyone what to hunt or how to hunt, only make suggestions when asked and answer questions such as yours with all honesty.

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thanks for your reply and it has helped me with a decision re; Grizzly guns which I have been struggling with for some time. I think that my decision to have two 9.3x62 rfiles built on a Mauser "Banner" action of 1933 vintage I recently picked up and also to rebarrel one of my Brno ZG-47s to that round, both for use with Nosler 286 Pts. will meet with your approval.

I also have two Pre-64 actions that were .300H&Hs, I will now get them both built into .375 H&Hs. I do not see a Lott as being necessary for self-defence in terms of the Grizzlies I encounter in B.C., the last one I was involved with took one shot from a .300 Win. Mag., but, if I were on the Alaska Penn. or Kodiak Island, I would damned well have one and practice with it, a lot, no pun intended.

I share your affection for the .338 Win., I am not into Africa, but, I have spent months alone in isolated cabins in the coastal and interior mountains of B.C. and this rifle-cartridge is IT for me. I actually find that I always take a .338 along when I go up north and more and more of the middle-aged hunters I know have gone to it, as well.

Thanks again for your quick reply and no bullshit opinions, I have actually got a lot of serious bush experience and I will say that you KNOW what you are talking about. I hope you write an article for "Successful Hunter" on your hunt with Phil, I would very much enjoy reading this.

Interestingly enough, many of the forestry workers and prospectors I have known went through a .44 Mag. phase, I did, too. I was bluntly told by an old-timer of the Keith era, who had shot a bear or two, that this was basicly a ridiculous stunt as far as self preservation was concerned and I was in line to get mauled---I took his advice and I am going to apply yours, as well; after 40 yrs. of B.C. bush time, I ain't been ate, yet!