THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    9.3x74R Double rifle Muzzle Diameter ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R Double rifle Muzzle Diameter ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can any one tell me what the muzzle dia. is on their 9.3x74r DR.This would be helpful. The rigs normally weigh about 7.5lb bare,so they must be reasonably thin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thickness of the barrels will depend on whether they are soldered together or whether two "disconnected" barrels are used. You can keep the barrels a lot thinner if you solder them together. Sorry, can't help with exact numbers.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle diameter .522 on my Chapuis 9,2x74R
My rifle weighs 7 1/4 lbs without scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for your help guys.
.522 seems rather thin,was wondering would that still be acceptable on a Hagn single shot with higher pressure loads. I have heard that .120 barrel wall thickness is minimum recommended.(.366+.240=.606 dia.)
NE 450 No2,What is recoil like in your Chapius at 71/4 lb?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack
The recoil is not bad. You would not want to shoot 40 rounds off the bench, but in the field you do not notice it. Even in Africa where more than one animal was shot in a day, and the rifle was shot several days in a row the recoil was not noticeable. Much more comfortable than any 375 I have shot.
The barrels do look thin. Being soldered together stiffens them up some no doubt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
thanks for your help guys.
.522 seems rather thin,was wondering would that still be acceptable on a Hagn single shot with higher pressure loads. I have heard that .120 barrel wall thickness is minimum recommended.(.366+.240=.606 dia.)

The .522 is almost certainly the muzzle diameter of a soldered barrel. I don't think you can expect to go that low on a barrel for a single shot. Even the .120" wall thickness you suggest is going to be on the light side. I don't think there are any hard or fast rules. MRC, the MT barrel maker, like to suggest at least .3" over caliber size.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went down and checked a few 9.3's, ......The Garrett mauser is .610, the Husky is .600, the Farquharson that Bob Snapp did up is .670, the Rugers are .670, the BRNO o/u is .510, and the Merkel and Kleingunthers are .540. I don't think I'd ask Ralf to build up a Hagn with anything less than .610, it'll still balance well! ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,

my Ziegenhahn & Sohn double side by side has barrels with OD of .512"! With 22" barrel lengh it weights 6.6 lbs without scope - very comfortable to carry.
In a single barrel rifle I would go not under .590" and then only for the 9,3X62 and 9,3X74R cartridges.

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote