Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700P in .338 Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have the opportunity to get a Remington 700P in .338 Lapua Mag. It's NIB with 80 rounds of ammo. From what I can see it looks like the barrel on this is shorter than what would be expected from a LM. Anyone on here have any experience with the 700P in this caliber?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My remington 338 lapua has a 25.5 in barrel at the jct. on the break. I shoot 300gr's. It shoots great. It is noisey and the recoil is stout. It would be better with a diffrent break like a Hollend. If you get it you will love the gun.

Posts: 18 | Location: NW Oklahoma | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of speculation that the head diameter is too big for the bolt diameter and it may be an issue.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
There were a few issues with the first production run, but the last 2 years' production have been basically flawless.

I own one and the bolt and receiver are not under sized for the task. The thin barrel does heat up a bit, so I take plenty of time between shots. As far as recoil and noise, I use a suppressor, so recoil is = to a .243.

The new production has had a 40% wholesale cost increase, so buy it as an investment if you aren't sure that you will shoot it.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The engineering is good on these rifles. You can have your gunsmith (if he has any talent???) make you one. Get a long magnum action that is straight. Pacific Tool and Gauge will sell you a "military" Remington bolt of the correct face diameter (.585"). Have your smith use a longer and slightly fatter barrel.
The DBM bottom metal is similar to Accuracy International's, but less expensive. Put it all in your favorite stock, and bed with Devcon titanium putty or Devcon Steel putty.

It is a good rifle from Remington, and a great rifle if you act as prime contractor for your own. You can also chamber it for the 338 Norma magnum. Then you can seat those long 300 grain bullets way out there...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote