New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edge vs. EW
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently put a .30-06 FWT into an McMillan Hunters Edge inlet for a fwt contour and blind mag, and recently purchased a lightly used EW in .270 Win. Hands down I love the feel of the Edge much better. The B&C just feels kind of like a club compared to the svelteness of the Mickey. I guess the real proof is which will be more enjoyable to shoot.

Here is some pictures for comparison:

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm always a sucker for the slim and trim rifle stocks. That's probably because I carry my rifles on long hikes a lot when hunting.
I really liked the way your 30/06 feels, nice rifle.
That's not to say the .270 was bad, would be a great rifle for Antelope hunts and that kind of thing for me. Both super nice rifles.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
For a factory stock the EW is a little chunky ( especially in the wrist), but much better than any injection molded piece of crap! I remember when Winchester used a Svelt McMillan stock on their Winlites. I picked up several Winchester/McMillan stocks in a trade last year - basically got them for free. Using a couple, sold a few and still have one that is waiting for a project involving a stainless M70 action. Sako also used them on their Fiberclass. I haven't bought a Sako since they went to the cheap injection molded stocks. For the price they charge, they should come with a Micky! Smiler

I did, however, just picked up a M70 Coyote Light that wears a BC stock. Though it has a target/varmint style stock, it's much trimmer at the wrist. The rifle is put together very well.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found my fish scales today after I pulled some boxes out of storage. I weighed both rifles and it is surprising the difference between the two.

M70 with Edge weighed in at 7lb 11oz with nylon speed sling and 5 rounds of 165 grain ammunition. It weighed 7lb 1oz with just the scope I didn't bother to weigh the EW naked though.

M70 EW weighed in at 9lb 8oz with the same sling and 5 rounds of 130 grain ammunition. I could probably take off 8+ ounces of weight just by adding some Talley LWT mounts and removing the Warne rings and Weaver GS bases and putting a Leupold 3-9X40 VXII on it as well.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What are the weight of the bare stocks themselves?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
What are the weight of the bare stocks themselves?

I haven't had the EW out of the stock yet, but the Edge was 22oz before it was bedded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Snellstrom,

The Edge weights 25 oz with bedding so it was.probably closer to 24 oz before it was bedded. The EW stock weighs 30 oz with very minimal bedding around the recoil lug.

I'm planing on swinging by your place tomorrow or Saturday to let a few rounds fly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The EW is winning in the accuracy department, but I haven't put a whole lot of rounds down range with either yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hazard to guess that the difference in accuracy (aside from loads) is a function of the light contour barrel of the FWT, more so than the stock.
I have 3, .280 Rems - M70 Fwt Classic, 700 Mtn Rifle and 700 BDL, all in Edge stocks. 3 shots and accuracy goes out the window with the M70 and the Mtn Rifle. Not so with the BDL and its heavier barrel.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not worried about accuracy yet, I'd hunt with either rifle right now. I'm sure my groups with the Edge will tighten up once I start handloading for it. Plus it might just take a little longer for me to learn to shoot it well.