Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM vs 300 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
Am looking at both these calibers in the Tika3. Is there much of a difference in recoil from a 7 mm WSM or 300 WSM 150 grain then to a 30-.06 150 grain?

Do you think the 7MM WSM can take any game in North America?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 mags will always kick harder than 7mm's with similar powder charges as 7mm' shoot lighter bullets.

The 7mm WSM is not all that popular and the 300 WSM is a very hot seller as I hear.

If you handload you can make each of them kick less.

Recoil does matter. Sure enough some "Rocky Marciano" will chime in that he shoots a 338 Ultra with the butt plate held in his teeth. I don't like the recoil of full house 300 magnums. No problem, just load them down for most shooting.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I shot a 300WSM in 2002, and noticed it to be very similar to my 3006, the scopes both came close to my eyebrow, the WSM was a bit lighter than my rifle, but both were model 70s, so I don't think you'll notice a real big difference between the two. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mmwsm will work fine for deer on up to moose and elk.It will also recoil less than the 300wsm.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There isn't much difference in energy between the 7 mm WSM and the 300 WSM

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Splittin' hairs! I have a 7mm Rem Mag and really like it alot. If I were to be buying one of these and not have the safe full of others I'd pick the .300 WSM.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The T3 is a wonderful rifle--I did not think they were gonna make it in 7 WSM though, perhaps they are gonna.

I've sold about 30 of them so far, and all who have bought them have loved them. Inexpensive,light and they shoot like a house a fire. You'd have to spend some fairly heavy money to beat them. At least that is my opinion.......A Savage will I feel, but none of the rest of the factory rifles will on a rifle to rifle basis.

Just my thoughts--all of the mags are good-personally I'd go with a standard mag over the shorts but that is just me. I want the most bang for my buck and the short are not gonna win any drag races with the old mags.

Have a super day.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered this same rifle in stainless in the 300WSM. I have a 7mag so went with the 300. Kind of a no brainer for me. I went with the short mag as I just wanted one of the shorts and I have the standard 7 mag and 338 mags to surround it. I've heard great things about the Tikka so had to find out for myself, this will be my first.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote