THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    9.3*62 barrel band swivel or not?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3*62 barrel band swivel or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
Simple enough question I hope, does the 9.3*62 recoil hard enough that I should put a barrel band sling swivel on it or not?

I am also debating between a NECG masterpiece rear sight and a talley pop up peep sight.

Decisions decisions..

Thanks, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
No, but they sure do look good. Mine is getting one.

Mostly because then I can shorten the foreend for a lighter trimmer rifle.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally the 9.3 kicks a bit harder than a 30-06, or about like an 870 with duck loads. Swivel placement depends on the length of the forearm. If it's long like a CZ 550 American, you can go with it on the stock. Much shorter and you'll probably want it on the barrel. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No recoil to worry about but I think they look sweet, so I would get it if you had the $$

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel band swivels make impossible to use a shooting sling w/o dramatically altering point of impact.

Leather gloves take the sting out of shooting with a sling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people don't shoot using the sling anymore, probably like me nobody has ever shown them how. Smiler

I think it is a matter of looks since recoil wise it probably won't matter. on a shorter, thinner forend it will look good, on a longer thicker one I don't like them. (although that is the accepted American style). I also think that the barrel mounted sling eye sans band looks very good, gives a sleek look and on a heavy barrel I think it slims the appearance down. I decided on that for the 416 that is being built right now.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly it "needs" one. Just like it "needs" a banded front sight, a high grade piece of walnut, your getting my point. I always get a kick out of form vs function. I prefer form personally but if we just want function go get a stainless 30/06 with a plastic stock model 70, a box of hornady light mags and hunt the world..... BTW I have both described the 06 and the 9.3 with above "needs"

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that any rifle recoils enough to injure your hand if you get ahold of it..I have shot the 458 Lott with swivels in the wood, and proper placement of the hand and a strong grip will prevent losing any bark....

That said, I like the barrel band swivels as I never shoot with a sling anyway, and it allows the rifle to ride lower with less barrel sticking up in the air to hang up on everything.
Most all my rifles have barrel band swivels.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote