THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Need a model 70 expert Post type

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a model 70 expert Post type
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
A fellow member of AR has this rifle and I want to buy it. But we are having a problem identifying it.

It is marked "black shadow" on the barrel and 300 Rem ultra mag. The blue book doesn't list this caliber for that model. Also I think black shadows are CRPF actions and this one looks like a CRF.

Here are some pics. Is this a CRF type bolt? and if it is can somebody tell me what model this is? Maybe it is a Black shadow, I just need some help. Thanks

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading your post, I tried to research that rifle by looking through all my old Winchester Catalogs. I basically came up with nothing.

The Black Shadow model was a push feed (not CRPF) manufactured from 1998 through 2003 in only four calibers, 270Win, 30-06, 7mmRM and 300WM. The only production grade rifle manufactured in 300RUM was the CRF Classic Stainless in 2001 and 2002, altho I know there was a special run of these in 2000, as I have one. But I didn't find any 300RUM's manufactured on the blued Classic action.

The rifle in your pixs is definitely CRF, but just what it is, I just can't help. Possibly, it is a special run for some distributor, but I haven't heard of it.

The serial number on that rifle indicates to me a date of about 2001, which would be right in the time when Winchester did produce the 300RUM in the Classic Stainless.

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with! Maybe someone else has a logical explanation! Smiler

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
When winchester first chambered the 300 ultra it was thier black shadow rifle. Which was push feed.

I have had two of the rifles that you have pictured here. They are CRF. They had black shadow barrels.

I have also had a blued wood classic that did not have a black shadow barrel.

I had a stainless model too.

Wish I would have kept them all. They were all CRF.

I just got one that I had been wanting for a while though. I picked up a super grade a couple weeks ago. Plan on keeping this one though.

I believe the rifle you posted was a limited number of 400 that was the first of the CRF mod 70's in 300 ultra. I think each model of 300 ultra was a limited run. Could be wrong.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
As for price You should offer him $600 and he should take no less than $800. Let the games begin.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
here is my supergrade

I paid $1065 shipped for mine. The same auction site just sold one of these for $1825 I should not have looked.

I must resist selling mine because I have regretted it every time. Even though it is easy to make a profit.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RM, except for the Classic Stainless, all of those rifles you mentioned are all non-catalogued items. The Classic Stainless could be a non-catlogued model too, if it is from 2000. I had no idea Winchester made all of those models! Is that Super Grade a 300RUM too? If it is, it is also non-catalogued! Interesting. Smiler

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
They were all 30 rums

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an exact twin of that rifle in 7m/m Remington magnum and Winchester called it the "-CLASSIC SM-" Similar to their "Laredo", it differs in barrel weight using instead a 26" non-fluted BBL, and a synthetic stock not of target shape or bulk. I purchased mine in late '93 before the stainless models were readily available. It has been a great rifle other than the "hot glue" bedding compound Winchester used.

Of the 4 rifles purchased that year, the "CLASSIC SM" has been far and away the best of the lot. The others have gone down the road for one reason or another, but this one never will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun pictured was part of a special run made for Davidson's.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Ben

Do you know what model Davidsons sold this rifle as.

Thanks

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I dont, but I see this pretty pften on the various auction sites. I would pay around $6-700. The stainless guns go between $8-1000.