Find
Notify
Tools

Stucked bullet test
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jnd
posted
Our military test institute did a test on some standard rifles. if a bullet got stuck in the barrel. (30-06)

Click here for some highspeed vids

Posts: 73 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
jnd,
thanks for the link, the videos were amazing.
unfortnuatly the info in the site was not in english can you translate some of the info? was there a projectile stuck in the barrel then it was fired?
thanks
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jnd
posted Hide Post
Yepp. They pushed a bullet in about 10 cm infront of the chamber.
All of the nonexploding guns ended up with barrels with bulges on them.

Posts: 73 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Great video! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnd:
Yepp. They pushed a bullet in about 10 cm infront of the chamber.

Looks to me like all barrels had a hole blown in them, just some were catastrophic barrel failures and others were not. But the A-Bolt had action damage as well. Other actions looked like they would have kept the gas out of the shooter's face....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnd:

A bulge is certainly preferable to the explosion.

I must admit there are some surprises in these films. One I expected to pop did, one I didn't expect to pop also did and I couple I suspected might explode did not.

It's been educational. Thank You for posting the link.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple did'nt do to well A-Bolt and 700. Maybe they had lighter weight barrels? The Howa did better than I thought it would.

Thank's for posting the link.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Howa was a surprise, I will admit. There are probably a lot of factors besides barrel construction that could lead to a CATO. My guess is the rem and browning have more friction in the bore than the others. The general rule is, don't let the bullet get stuck in the bore.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get this video to work

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interesting to see how well different synthetic stock materials (forends) would hold up under the kabooms.

I would imagine if a person was holding that wood stocked 700 they'd be hurting pretty bad. shocker

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Surprised me that two of the cheapest the Howa and Tikka held up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i want everyone to wath the entire series once more. notice how little the rifles that exploded moved then notice how much the steyr rifle moved after firing.
any ideas?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Surprised me that two of the cheapest the Howa and Tikka held up.

The tikka barrel burst on the left side, you can see the puff of smoke, it just didn't cato.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i want everyone to wath the entire series once more. notice how little the rifles that exploded moved then notice how much the steyr rifle moved after firing.
any ideas?

My guess is that the rifles that recoiled back managed to push the lodged bullets out through the muzzle.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something or did the R93 have no visible failure?

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow. Better a bulged barrel than shrapnel! Eeker That was cool, thanks for posting it!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My PC sucks on that link. Just frezes up. Terrible situation

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the R93 looked to do pretty good. You'd have to check it though that much pressure does bad things to bolt lugs and reciever rings, everthing really.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R93 doesn't have receiver rings or conventional lugs. Doesn't really have a receiver either - at least not one that takes any load from the chamber.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What cartridges were the rifles chambered in?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12698 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great test video! I am impressed. Seems a few barrel failures but no action failures, even from the Blaser.....

Thanks for the link.

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tikka barrel burst on the left side, you can see the puff of smoke, it just didn't cato

Wink My definition of held up means I still have all my body parts. coffee I'd take a puff vs the M700 results anyday.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The caliber is 30-06.

They also tested the extractors, and all exept Antoni Zoli passed the test.
They pulled with max 100 kg against a empty shell that was locked in the chamber.
The test says that the bolt failed on the AZ rifle without any other explanation.
No ranking as far as I can see.
Looks like the puny little Remington extractor held up well against the others...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Has anyone now any doubts about the European rifles being stronger and better made rifles then the US rifles !!! Both US rifles blow up to pieces Big Grin

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the Browning is made in JAPan....

and the Remington... well I don't usually care for Remingtons...

But this sure explains my love for 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields and Mausers!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what is this a test of? Is it a test of the ability of a steel tube with a fixed obstructions at one end (the lodged bullet) and a potentially moveable obstruction (the bolt) at the other end, to contain an explosion which is essentially what is happening when rapidly expanding gases are contained? If so, why does the Blaser do so well? In particular, the destruction of the stocks presumably implies some flexing of the barrel which splinters the stock to which it is attached. Also is this a test of the proof loads ie. should these be higher (to replicate an obstruction) rather than just a percentage overload? Do Europeans proof test every gun? It is my understanding that in Britain, all guns are proof tested, while in the USA I don't believe that is so.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Something seems fishy about it to me.

I bet they would have made a M77 and M70 explode as well.

I'd like to know how many of each were tested. I'm willing to place a bet that if you did the test on enough of them that all would experience cato failures due to the incosistency of metals even in the same model rifles.

One of each proves nothing. Any rifle of any make can explode under the right cicumstances.

Where were all of those exploded Tikkas and Sakos during this little experiment. Oh wait, they exploded without a bullet stuck in the barrel! Big Grin

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
Really something to think about

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ill tell you why I would trust the steyr over everyone of those rifles...
The Steyr SBS 96 (Safe Bolt System) completely encloses the bolt head and extractor with a ring to prevent gas blow-by in the event case rupture. The action has been proofed to in excess of 120,000 psi without failure. The hammer forged barrel is fitted with a barrel extension on the rear of the barrel into which the bolt locks as in the M16 rifle. The barrel assembly is held in the tubular aluminum receiver with an expansion collar which locks the barrel assembly in place.
the original design of the SBS 96 action was for sole use in the scout rifle.
specs called for a 3 KG max weight so the entire action had to be made from aluminum.
Thats why the design seen here was used and why the SBS action (steel in the case of the prohunters and classics) are so strong.
i would say not only did the steyr not have any damage to the reciver but that it probably pushed the bullet out.

one more observation.
remington KABOOM
Browning KABOOM
blaser cold hammer forged BBL
steyr cold hammer forged BBL
sako cold hammer forged BBL
tikka cold hammer forged BBL
Antonio Zoli cold hammer forged BBL
Howa cold hammer forged BBL

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I can't tell how the actions of the various rifles faired. That's not in these videos. Even in the rifles that exploded, the actions appeared intact. This test appears to be more indicative of barrel quality than anything else. You can put the strongest action in the world behind a junk barrel and fail this test.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here, you can see how the the different elk rebounds coped with sprängtestet. The process was filmed with a mound speed camera (4000 pictures per second) in order to can to assess splitter and sprängverkan. Six off the weapons coped with the test with only a smaller buckle, while two off the weapons exploded and splitter from both stock and hole was disseminated. The risk that the shot is damaged seriously if the hole is blasted stands clear. Click on play-knapparna below in order to see one filmsekvens from each sprängtest.

Here, elk bouncing verge
explodes gets catch the bulb in the travel want to you not to stand with this weapon in the hand. Two off the elk rebounds did not cope with sprängtestet, when Testfakta let Defence Matériel Administration to try eight pursuit weapons. In the test as a whole became the cheapest gun best

If some weeks begin the year's elk pursuit. Sweden's approximately 300.000 jägare is waited together shoot approximately 75.000 elks.
Physical facts have examined the quality on eight common älgstudsare and what that divides the mocks-up to. The test has been carried out of Defence Matériel Administration (Defence Matériel Administration), that above all works with providing the Swedish defence with weapons and other stock. The practical physicals were implemented during three days last summer wide Defence Matériel Administration: sprovningsanläggning outside Karlsborg. The pursuit weapons were tested in four aspects: precision in normal temperature and chill, korrosionstest, extract pc pcs and sprängtest.

The most dramatic result gave sprängtestet. About for example a small stone or a bulb gets catch in the gun's hole risks the shot to be damaged about he or she lets off the weapon. In order to pretend such a accident wrapped the physical personnel a bulb in respective gun hole. The weapons were skruva then permanentlely in one in particular screw paragraph before they were let off.
In order to simpler can to assess how the different guns behaved filmed Defence Matériel Administration: s provningspersonal the test with mound speed camera.
The pictures show how two of the tested weapons - Browning and Remington - explodes and to be divided.

- when one sees the pictures understands one how it sees out and how injured man can to become, Börje says Kindbom.
What would happen with the shot about this would occur in the reality?
- the shot's left hand would be damaged seriously and the arbor is hit broken. Splitter in the eyes means risk blindhet. Probably överlever the shot splitter in the neck about she or he does not have additional bad luck, Börje says Kindbom

The other six guns coped with the test with a deformed hole. Positive was that the end paragraph on all weapons held towards, what otherwise can evil to serious damages on the shot's heads.
Anders Toresson is CEO for Torsbohandels that represents Remington in Sweden. He is astonished over the result and organizes himself asking how Defence Matériel Administration has formulated the test.

- there is one international testorganisaton, CIP, whose physical standard all producer of dignity corrects itself after. About something happens with a weapon so to be sent it in to CIP, that sheep to assess about something is wrong. I do not know which system Defence Matériel Administration has used, but if this test will get someone reality basis should the weapon be sent down to CIP and since gets Defence Matériel Administration to explain how they gone to weigh, Anders says Toresson.
Is there some risk with using this weapon?
- no, definitely not, not bigger risk than with something else make. And how plausible is it that two off the world's bigest weapon producer would dare to send out a product that does not cope with it sprängskjutning? means Anders Toresson.

Börje Kindbom, what says you about the objections?
- I cannot reply on how CIP does, but among other thing Mannlicher in Austria does in principle in the same way as we done. There are thousand physicals to do, this is the result of it we done and the test was of course equal for everyone, he says.
Physical facts has also applied for the representative for Browning in Sweden, but despite repeated contact has no comment been left.
Totalvinnare in the entire test became the cheapest weapon, Howa 1500 that in the trade costs approximately 5 900 sek. The test's costliest weapons, Blaser R93 that costs approximately 26 000 sek, ended up on other place.
- the test shows that the cheapest weapon also is it best. It is extra funny that Howa 1500 did not win because other weapons where in particular poor, without because it is it very good älgstudsare, Börje says Kindbom.

- on the other hand says the test nothing about how good it is after some years' use or how the weapons feel.
One good älgstudsare will be simple to strike with, also when the animal tubes themselves. In order to few one so right precisionsprovning that possible was created a special shooting bench that the weapons was locked permanentlely in.
A day and night before provskjutningen was closed the guns in in one 20 degrees hot rooms. Before the test, the telescopic sights were calibrated. Since the weapons' precision can be influenced of the choice of ammunition sample was shot the elk rebounds with three different types of ammunition.

- we used the ammunition types that are most common on the market. The result of provskjutningarna was not influenced of the choice of ammunition, Börje says Kindbom.
Precisionsskjutningen was implemented in three different aspects.
- in the first aspect has we to lain so near normal pursuit relations that possible and among other thing taken considerations to what that is a normal number let off sprouts, rekyl and similar.
- the other aspect was varmskjutning. Problems with varmskjutning arises above all during the training on the rifle range. In connection with common pursuit, one shoots not more than a pair three sprouts in followed and then does not have time to the weapon to become so hot that it to be influenced.
Why did you do then the test?
The entire test was carried out of provningsledare Börje Kindbom and his colleagues on Defence Matériel Administration.
- alltell was we four paragraphs wide Defence Matériel Administration that worked with the test. All is experts on weapons, although it only is I that is jägare.
Why then?
- we wanted to decrease the risk in order to the persons that replied for the actual test would have förutfattade senses about different brands' earnings, Börje says Kindbom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems they were impressed with the cheap Howa in that write up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just wish i could get the links to play so i could see these video's!

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
ill tell you why I would trust the steyr over everyone of those rifles...
The Steyr SBS 96 (Safe Bolt System) completely encloses the bolt head and extractor with a ring to prevent gas blow-by in the event case rupture. The action has been proofed to in excess of 120,000 psi without failure. The hammer forged barrel is fitted with a barrel extension on the rear of the barrel into which the bolt locks as in the M16 rifle. The barrel assembly is held in the tubular aluminum receiver with an expansion collar which locks the barrel assembly in place.
the original design of the SBS 96 action was for sole use in the scout rifle.
specs called for a 3 KG max weight so the entire action had to be made from aluminum.
Thats why the design seen here was used and why the SBS action (steel in the case of the prohunters and classics) are so strong.
i would say not only did the steyr not have any damage to the reciver but that it probably pushed the bullet out.

one more observation.
remington KABOOM
Browning KABOOM
blaser cold hammer forged BBL
steyr cold hammer forged BBL
sako cold hammer forged BBL
tikka cold hammer forged BBL
Antonio Zoli cold hammer forged BBL
Howa cold hammer forged BBL

Funny, all of the M16s I fired had a 9 lug rotary lockup bolt, the safe bolt is an expanding collet.

I would venture the barrel failures had more to do with the hardening rather than the method of drawing the steel. Not long ago Sako and Tikka barrels would sometimes explode sans obstructionsm this problem was later tracked to inappropriate heat treating by a supplier of barrel steel.

The most disparaging thing about this test is that it is hard to dispute which actions are the best when they all held and the barrels failed.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would venture the barrel failures had more to do with the hardening rather than the method of drawing the steel.

i belive that this part of the statement... "The hammer forged barrel is fitted with a barrel extension on the rear of the barrel" is what the author was comparing to the AR15.
i can only think of the SBS, the BLR and the M16 variants that are rifles that use aluminum recivers and fire high pressure centerfire rounds.

so its mere coincidence that none of the hammerforged BBl;s split and the button rifled bbls didnt?

scoring with a blade on the inside of a pipe is going to cause that pipe to split when extreme pressure is aplied from within.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though some very interesting videos i would like to see a few more rifles being tested (more of the same rifles). If anyone has any experience with machine production they will know that "One test= no test" no one can guarantee that the tested rifles had either a particulary good og bad barrel.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those of you who have "Hammer forged" theories should be aware that both Remington and Browning have hammer forged barrels as well.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Those of you who have "Hammer forged" theories should be aware that both Remington and Browning have hammer forged barrels as well.

yeah, i saw that in the catolog. cold hammer forged button rifled?

how did they pull that off?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what catalog you are looking at, so won't speculate on misprints, mistranslations or misunderstandings. A barrel can't be both hammer forged and button rifled. All production Remington and Browning centerfires are hammer forged though.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote