THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A Bolt stainless stalker vs Tikka Whitetail Hunter

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bolt stainless stalker vs Tikka Whitetail Hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
New to this forum and have tried to search for feedback on these 2 rifles. I am looking to semi retire my "lefty" BDL 06 after 27 years of faithful service. I have narrowed my choices to a stainlest stalker or whitetail hunter in .270. I really want a synthetic/stainless combo as I seem to get caught in rain alot. However, I have heard opinions about the A bolts that have me looking harder at the Tikka from a quality and out of box accuracy standpoint. Your feedback is much appreciated! Back40

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Currently my deer rifle is a A-Bolt 25 06. It shoots good and is comfy. On the other hand it has some feeding problems sometimes and the floor plate and mickey mouse magazine system rattles.

I'm moving to a Tikka T3 lite in the spring.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Tikka...no contest!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a personal preference, i would not own a Browning, not a bad gun jsut don't get why they are so much higher priced than the Winshestersm Remingtons, Rugers, etc. I don;t see the value. On the other side, I just ordered a news Tikka T3 stainless synthetic in 300WSM as most of my research indicated that it was a better gun hands down from the Ruger and at $200 less than a Winchester 70 stainless a far better value. I should have it in a week or two and can't wait to try it out.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW--I have a couple A-bolts and a tikka---and a rem 700. All are accurate. I think all the wild claims about the tikka being more accurate are slightly inflated. The 700 is probably more accurate across the range of all ammo wts for the caliber. But each one does great with it's pet load. The bolt on the tikka is by far the smoothest. Also there's never a problem getting close to the lands with the tikka because the clip has a huge amount of room for "hanging" out the bullet. I bought the tikka before they were a little better known. It cost less than $400 at the time so I guess if I were making a call based on value I would pick the tikka.....but....I wouldn't give any of them up because all have worked "without a hitch".
Probably didn't help you much--you could get a tack driver with any of them or you could get a lemon. One last comment. I've seen some of the browning a-bolts with the satin finish instead of the usual "high gloss" and the wood sure seems much nicer on these. PERSONALLY I THINK YOU COULD/WOULD LIKE ANY OF THEM!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never seen a Tikka. Have worked with two A-bolts. Both beloning to my kids. They picked them out - not me.

One a LH stainless stalker in 7mm Rem Mag. Replaced trigger spring with a Tmney and it shoots 3/4" with factory WW ammo and 3/8" with handloads. Feeds well. no problems at all.

Other is a RH composite stalker in 7mm-08. Same trigger work and same groups with factory and handloads as the other one.

I'm happy with them amd I'm a Mauser nut. Can't agrue with success.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I wish I had some experience with the Tikka line, but I don't. I do have an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 300WinMag and couldn't be happier with it. It's pretty light for a full-size rifle, though I picked it partly because it was available in lefty. One caution, don't get the BOSS on it. I set it at 8.5 fresh from the box and have not touched it since, maybe it wasn't needed for accuracy. It definitely knocks off some recoil. If you do get it, the non-brake version doesn't affect POI or accuracy. Both group all my handloads, from 125 to 220 grains, nice and tight.

Maybe someone else can comment on this, but I think the barrel seems to copper foul a lot. I don't have enough experience with other rifles to compare so I can't be sure. But, it doesn't affect accuracy. Shots 25-30 will group just as well as shots 5-10.

As for not buying something because it's Japanese, go for it if you can afford yourself that luxury. I buy what I think will work best for me and if that happens to be politically incorrect...

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
I have both in LH, the Abolt Stainless is just as accurate as the white tail hunter as I hand load for both.
The A-bolt is lighter if you plan on carrying it a long time.
The A-bolt is 270 and shoots 1/2 -3/4 moa
I have 2 whitetail hunters, one in 25-05 and shoots the same as the 270.
The other is a 222 which shoots >1/2 moa all 5 shot groups.
Had the trigger stoned on the abolt and thinking about doing the same to the tikka's.
Hav'nt seen the t3 here yet but I doubt they are as good as the whitetail hunters.
Either are good rifles for the money, good luck.

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Owning 3 A bolts and having been a Tikka Advocate :Long before they were really even heard of, I don't see how you could go wrong with either one.

Of course guys like me would end up with an A bolt and then the Tikka in another caliber, but close to the other caliber, so when I go to use it, I can take whatever suites me for that day.

Together they are cheaper than a real spendy custom rifle.
both should be good shooters also.
either one you can recover your money quicker than you can with a Winchester, Ruger or Remington if they don't shoot good.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both and they are both good rifles. I really like the short bolt lift and the swing-out box mag on the A-bolt. My A-bolt will easily shoot MOA.

My tikka is the continental with the heavy barrel it will shoot half MOA and has a very smooth bolt.

I have been viewing this forum for a long time and a lot of guys like to beat up on the A-bolt.

I don't have a problem with it (the A-bolt) being made in japan. I buy american when I can, I drive a Tahoe and a Bronco, but I have no problems with japanese quality or products.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the A Bolt, however, I just received my new Tikka T3, SS with Laminate Stock, in the mail. I am very happy with the appearance and quality of this rifle. I haven't shot it yet (it is -30 outside). I also own a Tikka in 223 and I am very happy with the way it shoots. I have read some negative comments concerning the plastic used in the Tikka's, however, in my opinion the plastic parts are well constructed and strong enough to withstand any abuse I could throw at it.

Posts: 41 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an A-bolt II ss and a T3 (composite, blued). Both are shooters, with the T3 beating out the Abolt slightly (also a 300rum vs a 308, so in my book not exactly a fair comparison). Both rifles have a removable mag, which I like, and floated barrels. The Abolt has a glassed recoil lug. I can't load out to the lands on either rifle, but I believe this is a caliber-specific problem (although the T3 is a long action in 308...).

I like the short throw, caliber selection, over all aesthetics, and trigger on the Abolt (it is a little crisper than the T3). I like the stiff stock, drop out mag, weight (it is very light), simplicity of the bolt (it is easily field stripped), and extractor on the tikka. Also, the trigger on the Tikka will adjust down to 2.5 lbs, and only down to 3.5 lbs on the Browning (althought this is easily modified). I don't like the wet-noodle stock on the Browning, or the fact that I can't tinker with the bolt (ie clean extra oil from within easily). The extractor is not as impressive, but I've had zero problems with it, or the bolt in general. I don't like all the plastic on the T3's (I don't think the WH will have this same problem).

Value wise, there is no question that the T3 takes the cake in my book as the price is so much less. But tikka may not afford you the caliber selection you would like. With this said, I still love the Browning just the same. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Abolt stainless stalker. The tikka whitetail hunter is also really nice, but like you said its not stainless/synthetic. The new T3's are not made in left handed models. My abolt shoots the best groups, and I've never had a problem with it, having taken it to many cold, wet places, and abusing it. It's also nice and light.