New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Ti vs Kimber Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Forgetting about cost. Which would you rather have, Kimber Montana in 300 WSM or Brouwing Mountain Ti in 300 WSM ?

let me know your opinions and experience.

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the browning, but had a Kimber Montana in 270WSM that was very poor in the accuracy, before and after I sent it back to the factory to be corrected. It sold a long time ago. Won't own another.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Browning Ti.
But did own a couple of Kimbers and would NEVER buy another even at half the cost.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with the others. The Kimber was the biggest POS I ever bought. It would not group 308 into less than 2" regardless of what I did. For God's sake it was a 308. Never again. I have a 3 Brownings (Micro-Medallion, Highwall and BLR) that are all superbly accurate right out of the box.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Wow! And I thought you guys were tough on Weatherby rifles sofa.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a kimber pistol a while back.

It was very pretty, but it wouldn't feed factory ammo worth beans. Feed ramp was cut wrong and unpolished to boot. 3 trips to the factory, no joy. Sold it.

They charge a premium for their products, without premium quality. Overpriced bling, IMO.

They'll never get another dime from me, and I'm gonna tell anybody who'll listen, every chance I get (like now).

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey all,
i bought a "cheap" montana in 30-06 about 4 months ago and fell in love immediately.

Then i shot it.

It WAS consistent..... every group (handloads only) was 2- 3 inches!! at 100 meters. Suddenly understood why it was cheap. Took rifle apart and noticed there was NO bedding compound around the recoil lug......

Off to the gunsmith i go and had it bedded and recrowned (For good measure).

Now shoots right on 1 inch at 100 meters with the three handloads i have tried.

I agree it was dissapointing to start with, but you would need some serious coin to buy it off me now.

Hope this story helps.

Posts: 6 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 06 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with everyone else. I bought a Kimber 84M in 308 and while the gun shot fairly well,average of 1" groups with factory fodder, it would never feed correctly. My brother bought one just like it at the same time and even after a trip back to the factory his still wouldnt shoot better than about 2"

Posts: 84 | Location: Cleveland Tx | Registered: 25 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've owned 2 kimbers. one shot well and the other not so well. they are both gone now and i won't purchase another. never owned a browning rifle but the buddies i know who own them are well satisfied. ymmv.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh yeh. somebody should post this thread over on 24 hour campfire. there is a "love fest" there for the kimber montana.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a love/hate relationship with kimbers. First two I owned I ended up selling due issues other than accuracy. Hated them. I now have three montanas, (260 rem, 308 win, 325 wsm) and a classic in 270 wsm. Bought all used under $700. All shoot under 1" at 100 yds. Love them.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have three M84s in 7-08 and have great luck with performance and fit and finish. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like my Kimber Montana 8400 in .300 win mag. I had one issue with it, but had it back from the factory in 1 week.
Good gun in my opinion.
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I checked out my Kimber at SIR in Winnipeg I could slip a $5 bill all the way from the end of the forearm to the hole in the stock without meeting resistance. When I got my rifle in the post I couldn't. I phoned Kimber and was told their barrel is not supposed to be free floating. It doesn't seem to shoot well either, although I've only had it out once for sighting. Has anybody else experienced this?

Posts: 38 | Location: Between sunrises. | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never owned a Kimber and most likely never will. I own two Browning A-Bolts and they are very accurate. My 270 shot 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards and my 338 shot three rounds that were almost in the same hole. I am not familiar with the Ti, but I love Browning's bolt actions. The 60 degree lift keeps you from smashing your hand on the scope when you work the bolt.

I wanted to get a 300 wsm and a friend hounded me to try a Remington. I bought a 700 Boone and Crocket edition. It is a pretty gun, but every time I work the bolt I have to be conscious about smacking my hand on the scope. Now I will have to have some work done on the bolt to eliminate that issue. Why these other manufacturers don't get that is beyond me. I guess there are a lot of people who put up with that problem or buy the rifle then go get it fixed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the Ti. Never owned one nor shot one. My Kimber Montana .270 WSM has caused so much grief that I'll never own another. Firstly, I'm a .27 cal. slut and my pre-64, mod. 70 .270 shoots 1" and oftentimes less, all day long with 150 gr. Partitions. I like to hunt with 150 gr. bullets in that caliber.
For the life of me, I can't seem to get my Kimber to shoot 150's. There has been all kinds of work done on it - won't go into it all here - including a new barrel. Finally, in desperation, I tried the accurate load in the Sierra manual for the 130 gr. bullet. This included primer and seating bullets to the OAL. I think I've finally got it shooting but with those 130 gr. bullets. OK for caribou & sheep but not what I really want. After moose season, I'm gonna try still some other things with 150 gr. bullets to try & get it to shoot.
One question though. Why in the world can a rifle made in 1953 (my mod. 70) shoot better than one made in 2006? What with today's better steels, computer controlled machining, etc. It seems that virtually ALL pre-64's shoot and have few problems. I'd guess it's lack of quality control, don't give a shit attitude & bone head bean counters. A firearm should not have to be gone thru by a gunsmith and fixed/adjusted to perform in this day & age.
Now, rant over.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two Kimbers both shoot under an inch with what they like. The 300WSM loves 180 grain bullets but have not had much luck with 150's or 165's truthfully have not worked so much with these but that is my impression. So a 180 at near 3000 solves a lot of problems in the field. The second a Roberts likes 100 grain and 117 grain bullets, not so much the 110 AB's. That gun shoots the PC Barnes 100 grain bullets very well with a lot of H4350 under it.

I cannot explain why some have problems with them and some do not. I will say that if you use a folded wash cloth under your fore end, and you pull the rifle straight back into your shoulder with both hands (one behind the front bag), you get different results than if you pull down into the bag hard, or use a harder front rest.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote