Find
Notify
Tools

Am I weird?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
^^That is actually an interesting project. Neck an Ultra mag case to .323 caliber...hmmm

Btw any great smiths out there that you guys would recommend for a project like this? If I'm going to build this bad boy, I want it to be perfect! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusino:
^^That is actually an interesting project. Neck an Ultra mag case to .323 caliber...hmmm

Btw any great smiths out there that you guys would recommend for a project like this? If I'm going to build this bad boy, I want it to be perfect! Big Grin

You might contact Hill Country Rifles as they are not too far from you. I have not used them but have seen them recommended on here -- maybe you could do a search.

Another Texas smith I have seen recommended is Bill Wiseman -- again I have not used him myself. I don't know if this is correct but this info turned up in an Yahoo yellow pages search:

Bill Wiseman Co.
18456 State Hwy. 6 South
College Station, TX 77845
(979) 690-3456

There are lots of other folks who could likely do a great job if you are willing to send a rifle off for the work.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fusino,
Your definately getting weirder! I've considered building the same...if you do, please let me know how it goes. I was considering the RemSPS in 300Ultra, load the snot out of it, rebarrel after 1500 rounds (around 24months worth of range work!) and then compare my 8mmRemMag, to the 300Ultra to the 8mmUltra. Even if you match 8mmRemMag velocities at lower pressures, it may be well worth a try! Anyone care to comment on what velocities an 8mmUltra may reach with 200gr/220gr/250gr projectiles.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Con, I certainly will let you know if I decide to do the Rem Ultra Mag to .323...honestly it didn't even occur to me until 'mudstud' mentioned it!

Props to mudstud for a good idea. Big Grin

Even if I can't match the 300 Ultra velocities at lower pressures, it will be an adventure...that's worth it for me Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
fusino,
Your definately getting weirder! I've considered building the same...if you do, please let me know how it goes. I was considering the RemSPS in 300Ultra, load the snot out of it, rebarrel after 1500 rounds (around 24months worth of range work!) and then compare my 8mmRemMag, to the 300Ultra to the 8mmUltra. Even if you match 8mmRemMag velocities at lower pressures, it may be well worth a try! Anyone care to comment on what velocities an 8mmUltra may reach with 200gr/220gr/250gr projectiles.
Cheers...
Con

A 200 grainer should get to 3287 fps for 4800 FPE in your 325 RUM. Not only do you get 80 to 100 fps just from the bigger bore, but the 8mm bullets are shorter than the .308s for any given weight and you get a few grains more capacity.

Even better, with heavy 220 and 250 grain bullets you push the expansion ratio back to that of a 7mm Mag....less wear and tear on the bbl than the 300 RUM.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 200 grainer should get to 3287 fps for 4800 FPE in your 325 RUM.

Come on guys, let's not bastardize the 8mm by using the wimpy corporate Winchester alias!

It's bad enough that we call the 8mmWSM 325, please, lets not give credability by naming a "wildcat" 325 anything.

Face it, the metric system is far superior and will eventualy have to be adopted by us yanks. homer

Get used to it.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot,
Only problem I see with the 8mmUltra is gettin the projectiles to perform. Might have to chat to my 'smith re the possibilty of using an Ultra reamer to cut the chamber and then an 8mm "throater" to cut the throat area. Any ideas on where to get dies?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might have to chat to my 'smith re the possibilty of using an Ultra reamer to cut the chamber and then an 8mm "throater" to cut the throat area. Any ideas on where to get dies?

Throating in a separate operation has it's advantages when doing any chamber. The throat can be cut to match a specific OAL with whatever projectile is preferred. A "piloted" 300 RUM reamer could be used to cut the chamber.

As for dies, something like the Redding "S" dies for 300 or 338 RUM with the appropriate bushing would work for the 8mm RUM.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Sabot,
Only problem I see with the 8mmUltra is gettin the projectiles to perform. Might have to chat to my 'smith re the possibilty of using an Ultra reamer to cut the chamber and then an 8mm "throater" to cut the throat area. Any ideas on where to get dies?
Cheers...

Ask your smith if he has any problem taking out the throat in a 300 RUM die, and drop in an 8mm expander and seater. If he won't do it, RCBS will.
Con

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote