New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 VS LH .308 Range Report
 Login/Join

<MontanaMarine>
posted
A couple months ago this rifle followed me home from the PX. I mounted a Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3 in Badger rings and 20 moa base. Did some shooting with it today here are the results:

Rem 700 VS LH .308, 1-12 twist
RL-15, 42 gr
Sierra 190gr Matchking, moly coated
Win. brass
Fed 210
COL: 2.86 (too long for magazine, but still .03" from the lands)
Range: 100 yds
Groups: 5-shot
Best: .36, Worst: .92, Avg: .64
Conditions: 82 Degrees F, 3-15 mph wind from 5 o'clock.

I didn't put up the chrono, but Hodgdon manual #26 indicates 2515 fps for this load. I would prefer to shoot 175gr bullets in this rifle, but since I have a huge stock of 190s on hand for my 30-06, I started with them.

I would like it if I could seat the bullets to magazine length and be within .01 from the lands. I guess the long throat is an attempt to build a measure of safety into the rifle, but it does not help in accuracy.

Overall I am very pleased so far.

MM

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Sounds like a good shooter already. Should only get better with some load fine-tuning. Try 42 grs of Win 748 pushing a 168 Sierra MK. My rifle loves it.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
That's outstanding, but not surprising.

My lefty .308 VS shot 168's into an inch at 300 pretty frequently, but I never tried it with 190's. Sierra 175s shot as well, with my standard service rifle loads (4895/4064 recipes).

That yours shoots mollied 190s is very encouraging! I'll have to try that.

BTW, is EVERY Jarhead in or from Montana a southpaw?

Redial
Another one! OOOH-RAH!

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Redial,

You may be right

I was born in Washington, but moved to Montana when I was 12. Went to school in Harlowton, and Sidney. Class of 1979.

Semper Fi! Shane Pitzer

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hey Shane, do you know anyone named LaVersa at LeJeune? I graduated in 79' too... never was a jarhead though. Father-in-law was one, three landings (including Pelilu sp?) in the Pacific befor getting wounded... ok, I know that doesn't get me in the club, but I admire what you guys do.

Semper-Fi anyway!

Brad Amundson