New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Win. Mag. reduced loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone suggest moderate loads for this cartridge, suitable for whitetail, hogs, and generally getting familiar with a new rifle?

From several manuals and Ken Waters articles I see quite a few using the 200-gr. Speer or Hornady SPs, loaded with IMR 4064, 3031 and either brand of 4895, at about 2500 fps.

I could also go for lighter loads (.33 Win. equivalent) with the 200-gr. Hornady flat point and SR 4759 or IMR 4227 for about 2200 fps.

What have you tried and what worked best?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
John - I have worked with reduced loads and some of the components you mention in the 338 Win. The best load I worked up was 35.0 gr SR 4759 and the Hornady 200 gr FP for the 33 Win. I could get right around MOA with this one. My notes indicate I used Fed 215 primers - no idea why I used mag primers, but I did.

This load was extrapolated from reduced load data shown in the Speer #11 manual. I was targeting the same 2,200 fps velocity you mention as that is what the Hornady Manual said was optimum for this 33 Win bullet. I used this load to shoot a few Sitka Blacktails, but the problem was I couldn't get the same POI as my fullhouse bear protection loads - e.g. 250 nosler partitions.

I tried 40.0 and 41.0 gr IMR 3031, but it was not as good as SR 4759. IMR 4895 should work also. I did not have a chrono when I developed these reduced loads, so I don't know what the actual velocities were ~~~ Lars

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I have used 50 gr RL-15 with 250gr Hornady roundnose. about 2200fps. 2moa accuracy. Pleasant to shoot. Kind of a "heavy 30-30" type of load.

MM

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it, but I read on another forum: 58.0 gr's H4895 and 225's at 2.650 fps for a 338-06 level load.

***WARNING*** check this load with a reputable commercial loading manual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found a good one yesterday and it only took me 9 shots --

200-gr. Hornady flat point, 38.0 gr. XMP-5744. Remington case and CCI 250 primer. 2150 fps -- .33 Winchester equivalent. First 3-shot group 1.5" (I was still cleaning after every shot for break-in) second 0.84" (including the first from a clean, cold barrel)and both nice, triangular groups.

Since I did my workup at the range I worked this out, got the break-in going, and zeroed the scope, all in 4 hours.

Rifle is a Beretta Mato with a 4x Leupold and I could hunt with it tomorrow (if there were an open season and I didn't have to work).

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<anvil>
posted
I am playing around with the same idea as my 300WSM went back to the builder. I need a gun to shoot 400 to 500 yards in high winds and I just happened to have a 338 so I figured I would try it out with 180 Nosler BT. The best "light" load is 66gr RL 15. The guy I got the load from used FED 210 Match primers but I used CCI Mag as I had already primed all my cases. I shot this along with 5 other loads today. With this RL 15 I put two in one hole and another about 1/2" off that I suspect was my error. The recoil was minimal for the 338. Very easy to shoot. He said this thing pushes it at 2990fps. I was not able to check the speed today. This sounds like a great load for what you want. The load I think I will be using came in the "quick data" from Nosler. 73 gr H414 same primer. Less then 1" but Nosler reports 3189fps. I must warn this load kicks much more like a 338 is expected to.