THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    130 grain barnes tsx tipped for 300 win mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 grain barnes tsx tipped for 300 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey there guys i just saw that federal is putting out a 130 grain tsx tipped bullet at 3500 fps and i was gonna buy a couple boxes but i wasnt sure if they would burn out the throat or eat up the barrel any opinions would be very helpful thanks bill.

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I don't think they would be prone to causing anymore issues to other bullets loaded to similar pressure. I am a little out of my depth here, and maybe the fact that you are burning more powder and able to run them faster would contribute to throat erosion or barrel wear, but I would suspect it is minimal in comparison to other factors, i.e. not letting your barrel cool reasonably before conitnual shooting.....

It will be interesting to see some of our more technically knowledgeable members give some intel.

I will tell you that in a .308, the TSX's (both tipped and not) are really flat, and as usual for me, VERY accurate. Except for the cost, I really like the tipped bullet from a design standpoint.

On my TSX's that aren't tipped, I have drilled the tips out on mine Eeker

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bill,
those 130 tsx would make a great antelope or longer deer load. probabily shoot fantastic at the same time,shouldn''t hurt your rifles throat any or eat your barrel if you limit your shot strings and let her cool off. even a 22 rimfire can be burned up and smoked ifin its shot red-hot like a branding iron. buy what you want and enjoy regards Smiler

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, i apreciate the replys, i was going to try them on dirt pigs this summer and also try the 125 gr 3006 load at 3140 fps they both should shoot pretty flat and i figured by alternating rifles during a hunting session it would give the other time to cool. Thanks again

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same thing as bill23 when I ran a search that lead me to this discussion. I did a google search and came up with the following article on the new Barnes Tipped TSX. The author of the article elected to use the 130grn .30 cal bullet for his testing.

The article: http://www.gunsandhunting.com/Extraordinary.html

Snapshot of the test results. Take note that the top picture is, I think, of one of the bullet's petals rather than the recovered bullet. That was the only thing left in the test media.
Another thing I find striking is the uniformity of penetration. The bullet penetrated 15" of gelatin at both 2811fps and 1958fps. The non-tipped TSX also penetrated almost 15" at only 1960fps. The author doesn't reveal what this test media is, however.

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote