Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8X57 MAUSER VS 338-06
 Login/Join

posted
What is the real world difference between the two. I was thinking of having a 338-06 built or purchasing a Weatherby. Now that Remington is going to make the Classic in 8mm Mauser is it worth the expense of a custom rifle. From the little bit of reasearch I have done ther does not seem to be a real big difference in the two cartridges. I pan on reloading so I can load the 8x57 Mauser to its max load if needed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the .338-06 has both a larger case capacity and a larger bore, meaning that it will certainly be able to launch a bullet with more energy than the 8x57 (all things being equal, as they say). Whether the difference is significant to you is another matter.

To put it into perspective, many early post-WWII Mausers were rechambered to 8mm-06 since 8x57 brass and dies were not always readily available. The gain in perfomance, even in the same bore size, gave rise to the label of the 8mm-06 as "the Poor Man's Magnum". The difference wasn't really that dramatic, but a gain of 100 fps at similar pressures wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation.

As to your situation, you pay your money and you take your choice. Unlike a few years ago, there is an adequate choice of 8mm bullets available, and with the appropriate handloads, there's nothing I wouldn't shoot with an 8x57 that I would with a .338-06. If elk or moose are on your menu, the .338-06 would give you a bit more "margin".

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think the 8x57 is closer to the .308 than the .338-06. If you really wanted an 8mm, then get the Rem. & have it rechambered to 8mm06, fairly inexpensive. This will give you the performance w/ a 200gr bullet that will come closer to the .338-06 w/ 210grNPs @ 2700fps (my choice). It really depends on what you are going to hunt w/ it. Deer under 300 yds, just leave it as is. For elk in close, you are probably still ok w/ good bullets. You'll want the extra vel. when you want to push the 300yds envelope.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Remington charges for their Classic rifles, but unless you're just really die hard, my opinion is that the 8x57 isn't necessarily worth it. Yes, it is a very capable cartridge, and when properly loaded is essentially the equal of a .30-06. However, the bullet selection really isn't as available for the .323" caliber as it is for the .308 or .338 calibers. I also shoot the 35 Whelen and find bullets in the .358" easier than I do for .323", and I live in a big city (Houston).

I have a turk mauser in 8x57 that I got for $100. With reloads and open sights, it shoots 3" at 100yds. It has taken wild pigs with no problem, and were it not for its 9+ lb weight, it would make a great hunting rifle. There are some original and re-issue k98K 8mm rifles out there that will certainly be cheaper than a new Remington limited run rifle. There are also hundreds of VZ-24s, M48's, and other surplus rifles that will shoot accurately enough to take game within the 8mm's range.

Money may not be an issue for your purchase, but why not spend the same amount of money on a more capable caliber like the .338 magnum? It can be loaded down to .338-06 levels and it is a very common cartridge. The money saved could get you a scope and mounts.

I don't know why the 8x57 was chosen for the Classic rifle, but I don't see the need to blow a bunch of money on it when a $100 rifle will shoot nearly as well and certainly well enough to hunt out to 200yds.

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You would be in good shape with either and having hunting experience with both, I don't think there is any practical field difference.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I also shoot the 35 Whelen and find bullets in the .358" easier than I do for .323", and I live in a big city (Houston).

That is absurd.

8mm bullets can be had from 125gr spitzers to 250grs solids, and then there are several molds available for cast bullets.

Maybe you can't get 'em in Houston, but they are widely available via internet.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When is Remington going to make the Classic in 8mm Mauser?

They just came out with it in 300 Savage.

Personally, I'd go with the 338-06. But my view is one-sided. I own one.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dag gone it %(*#(*Y&Wink I forgot my ammo.... This is the only time I could get for this once in a life hunt...

What caliber would you rather have?

Me thinks 8x57 is going to be some where. I know 338-06 is now a Weatherby product, but how many boxes of ammo have you seen at Wally world?

I am not saying this is a real important factor.
Just wanted to toss my two cents in...
To much fun...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I don't know why the 8x57 was chosen for the Classic rifle, but I don't see the need to blow a bunch of money on it when a $100 rifle will shoot nearly as well and certainly well enough to hunt out to 200yds.

I highly esteem the 8x57 (the M/88 was probably the most genial and most influential centerfire cartridge ever designed, and Paul Mauser was green with envy, since he had nothing to do with it), and thus I wish I could disagree with your statement - but I can't .

Best regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Remingtons web site the 8mm Mauser is the 2004 offering and the .300 Savage was the 2003 offering.

List of Remington Classics

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

My choice would be the 8X57 since it a grand old cartridge. Finding ammo is no problem, but some of it might not be soft point.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Does the Blaser come in 8x57 ? Anyone ? Johan ???

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"
Quote:

When is Remington going to make the Classic in 8mm Mauser?" I saw one at the range (fish canyon) today roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the .338-06 but I also own one and its performed very well for me here in MT and on a RSA plains game hunt.

As far as making a caliber choice solely on ammo availability.......this is a rational that has always dazzled me. I've NEVER forgot ammo on ANY hunting trip. I've taken strange wildcats on trips out of state even out of country and always had ammo with me.

I'd go .338-06 if it was me.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Does the Blaser come in 8x57 ? Anyone ? Johan ???

NO COMMENTS . Who cares? Why don't you look it up

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a turk mauser in 8x57 that I got for $100. With reloads and open sights, it shoots 3" at 100yds. It has taken wild pigs with no problem, and were it not for its 9+ lb weight, it would make a great hunting rifle.

I just bought a refinished and reblued Turk this weekend for 100 bucks, havent been able to shoot it at distance yet though

Also, the long (~29.5") barrel of many of the milsurp Mausers will give you additional velocity over a sporter with an 18-22" tube. This gives another tip to the milsurp 8mm.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. Get an inexpensive 8X57 Mod. 98 and have some fun with it. A lot of those dark barrels shot real good.Do your own work and sporterize it.( mortal sin ,but if it is saved for the future somebody's grand kid will probably hack it up any way). Start by shaping the stock the way you want it. Than cut and crown the barrel. Make it into, let's say a scout. Don't bend the bolt handle it's easier to reach out and operate a straight handle.Camo paint the stock and put a neat wild life scene on it. Cover with urathane.buy a whole lot of cheap 8mm ammo and go out and practice your stand up and shoot.

After that go out and spend a bunch of money on a .338-06. Now you've got it all and when I drink beer I fart. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot both. I even handload an 8 x 57 into territory that most people won't go ( 49 grains of RL 7, with a 170 grain Speer seated to an OAL of 80 mm: velocity of 3100 fps)
{Work up, don't be stupid, and other lawyer YADAYADA}

However, the 8 x 57 is stops where a 338/06 begins.

With that said, get what you want. Either one will do a great job on anything under 500 to 600 pounds, which takes in anything but big bears and my neighbor's wife.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one logical answer to this dilemna. Get them both! Buy a Persian 98/29 and a vz24. Rebarrel the vz24 into 338-06 and put a Boyds laminate on it. The best of both worlds baby!

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 8mm and love it, does all that I can throw at it. most of North America's hunting could be covered with the 8mm. But if you are going for the bigest of the beast on this planet get a 500 Nitro Express.

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Me thinks 8x57 is going to be some where. I know 338-06 is now a Weatherby product, but how many boxes of ammo have you seen at Wally world?

There are a few places you can buy .338-06 ammo from, starting with Cabela's. If you search for ".338-06 ammo" in the Internet, it will get you to a few places, some of which are small reloading operations. But one thing for sure, .338-06 and 8x57 ammo is rare.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8x57 is onsale at every Wal-Mart, and gunshop in town!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote